• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Spark Plug

CyRaX

Question

Hey my fellow mates,needed a bit of info for a relative of mine.One of my mother's friend car hadn't started in the evening.After she had checked with the mechanic,he had said that the Spark plug had broken and some pieces of it had gone to the header.He says that the header will have to be cleaned,and as he is opening it up, the Gaset (dont know if the spellings are correct)will also have to replaced.He had quoted 15k for the job.She wanted some advice on this,as I don't know much about this,hope you guys could help. :alc:

15 answers to this question

sparkplug bits must be in the combustion chamber....chances are the cylinder head/piston itself suffered some damage while she was trying to start the car.

Replacing the head gasket is a must when you open up the top end. I dont know what the car is so i'm assuming 15k is with parts...meaning the gasket.

But you cant really know until the head comes out and reveal the extent of damage...

Thanks ripper :)So the actual damage cannot be exactly said right.Well I think the car is a Chery qq.Yeah the total cost he had claimed is 15k.Any other things she ought know?

And btw for my info as I'm still learning,what could actually cause something like this.

Edited by CyRaX

Dude I have never heard of this before and I can't imagine bits of the plug in the combustion chamber. I can imagine her putting in the wrong spark plugs. If they have the wrong length, they will overreach into the chamber, get too hot (causing misfiring) and collect carbon which could be dropping off into the chamber. For bits to break off dude, the quality of these plugs must be so shit that a warning to the general public should be made cos perhaps the inferior materials of the electrode have got corroded which means they haven't been coated with any anti-corrosive stuff. Or could the porcelain have cracked in the insulator? Any chance of pics buddy?

Thanks ripper :)So the actual damage cannot be exactly said right.Well I think the car is a Chery qq.Yeah the total cost he had claimed is 15k.Any other things she ought know?

And btw for my info as I'm still learning,what could actually cause something like this.

Its better to use japanese NGK/ND plugs specified for this car. May be the main fault was a defective chinese brand of plug! do check for valve leaks B4 you reinstall the head.

Its a Cherry QQ.... these things happen...... :)

But on a serious note, I would say an engine overhaul is in the pipeline, with new rings and all. 15k does not sound right for an engine overhaul though. It should be more.

But then how sure is this mechanic of the problem? It could be that he is planning on a buying a LCD TV and he found his mark in this lady?

Dude I have never heard of this before and I can't imagine bits of the plug in the combustion chamber. I can imagine her putting in the wrong spark plugs. If they have the wrong length, they will overreach into the chamber, get too hot (causing misfiring) and collect carbon which could be dropping off into the chamber. For bits to break off dude, the quality of these plugs must be so shit that a warning to the general public should be made cos perhaps the inferior materials of the electrode have got corroded which means they haven't been coated with any anti-corrosive stuff. Or could the porcelain have cracked in the insulator? Any chance of pics buddy?

i've had genuine NGK's busting the porcelain insulator... in my case there was a tell-tale misfire as the insulator slides over the tip so managed to get away without any trouble...

i've had genuine NGK's busting the porcelain insulator... in my case there was a tell-tale misfire as the insulator slides over the tip so managed to get away without any trouble...

+1 I had that happen on my old jeep. Although unlike you I ended up in deep sh*t. The plugs in it were never changed and when I got one out the insulator just shattered into pieces with pieces entering the chamber.

Crappety-crap dude, that is scary! How the heck can that happen on a quality plug?? Please enlighten!

i'm guessing it's a manucturing fault mate... cos you change the plug and run it...all is well. it hasn't happened since. so can't be a flaw with the motor or ignition system.

A bit off topic..

I once had front suspensions repaired and worn parts replaced etc..

In this process the two ball bearings of the wheels were also replaced with good quality ones. I asked them to put original and best stuff. IIRC they were N*K

After a week or so started getting some noises from one wheel like clickety clak..

It increased over a couple of days until the sounds got really scary. Had it rechecked and

to everyone's surprise several metals balls had split in half!

What could cause such damage? A manufacturing fault? Or fakes?

How could one rely on the quality of even so called quality products? I thought these japanse stuff were with 0 defects.. remember the old story about japs putting in separate faulty items to fulfil allowed number of faulty items..

:) Well to play with the plugs,I barely know if she knows where to fill the water for the Viper :D .Sorry bro couldn't get hold of any pic's.

Its a Cherry QQ.... these things happen...... :)

But on a serious note, I would say an engine overhaul is in the pipeline, with new rings and all. 15k does not sound right for an engine overhaul though. It should be more.

But then how sure is this mechanic of the problem? It could be that he is planning on a buying a LCD TV and he found his mark in this lady?

Well I barely trust any mechanic,infact a friend of my father just came with me to visit the garage,he said the mechanic was right.While doing the clean up,he actually pulled of a long Iron rod stucked inside.Think the car is running as it was.Thanks bro :)

Its better to use japanese NGK/ND plugs specified for this car. May be the main fault was a defective chinese brand of plug! do check for valve leaks B4 you reinstall the head.

Thanks bro.I'll check on it

And btw guys sorry for not using multi quote as I came through the phone.

Guys just for my information purpose,what are the steps I should take in oder to make sure that none of this would happen to any of my vehicles ?

Thanks bro.I'll check on it

And btw guys sorry for not using multi quote as I came through the phone.

Guys just for my information purpose,what are the steps I should take in oder to make sure that none of this would happen to any of my vehicles ?

make sure you have the right plugs and they are a good brand. NGK/Champion/Bosch.

make sure you have the right plugs and they are a good brand. NGK/Champion/Bosch.

Thanks JD,should make sure I replace them at the next service.

Guys btw while checking on the engine I felt as it was vibrating too much,the mechanic said that It'll just go away,but I have a doubt as he could be trying to just wash his hands off.What could she do about it ?