• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Irrupting Back Lequid From Mufler

Kasun Tharaka

Question

Hi,

I have a Nissan Homy (e24) van with Automatic Transmission. Since 2 weeks time, i noticed that some kind of black liquid is coming out from the exhaust in the morning (usually first start). It do not have any smell or not oily. Just like water and dark black colored :action-smiley-060: . Is anybody here came across such situation?? if so, what can be the reason for this?? Do I need to do any replacements or repairs?

Looking forward for your reply :rolleyes: .

Thanks and BR

Kasun

10 answers to this question

Hi,

I have a Nissan Homy (e24) van with Automatic Transmission. Since 2 weeks time, i noticed that some kind of black liquid is coming out from the exhaust in the morning (usually first start). It do not have any smell or not oily. Just like water and dark black colored :action-smiley-060: . Is anybody here came across such situation?? if so, what can be the reason for this?? Do I need to do any replacements or repairs?

Thanks and BR

Kasun

Is your vehicle Diesel or Petrol ? It sounds like water vapour from the engine (a by product of combustion) has condensed inside the silencer, mixed with carbon soot (another by product of combustion) and is being pushed out when the engine has been started in the morning.

Is there any other problems with the vehicle like starting problems in the morning, or oil levels going down ?

Edited by The Don

Is your vehicle Diesel or Petrol ? It sounds like water vapour from the engine (a by product of combustion) has condensed inside the silencer, mixed with carbon soot (another by product of combustion) and is being pushed out when the engine has been started in the morning.

Is there any other problems with the vehicle like starting problems in the morning, or oil levels going down ?

Hi Don,

It is Diesel (TD 27 Diesel engine). There are no starting problems. But oil level is slightly going down since it has minor leakage. hence I cannot guarantee about the oil level because of this issue or not.

Is there any relationship between engine oil level and this problem???? if so please let me know.

Thanks for your valuable reply .

BR

Kasun

Hi Don,

It is Diesel (TD 27 Diesel engine). There are no starting problems. But oil level is slightly going down since it has minor leakage. hence I cannot guarantee about the oil level because of this issue or not.

Is there any relationship between engine oil level and this problem???? if so please let me know.

Thanks for your valuable reply .

BR

Kasun

Well the only reason I asked is if your engine is burning oil then the amount of carbon deposits in your exhaust line would be more. At this moment I would not worry too much about this problem, but do get the oil leak fixed.

Well the only reason I asked is if your engine is burning oil then the amount of carbon deposits in your exhaust line would be more. At this moment I would not worry too much about this problem, but do get the oil leak fixed.

Thanks Don. BTW is every diesel engine is having this scenario? i mean as you said, the water vapor is coming out from every diesel engine since it is a result of internal combustion? the reason i'm asking is i'm experiencing this since 2 weeks time... :blink:

BR

Kasun

Hi,

Thanks and BR

Kasun

what are the changes you have done recently? say last two weeks ? injector pressurizing? air filter change? or was this happened for quite long time and you have only started noticing since of late? have you at least change the place you park the vehicle ? like a place with a slant? which allows condensed water to flow out of the barrel quite fast ?

if it's not oily nor smelly, it IS water vapour as some members have highlighted.

Hi,

Thanks and BR

Kasun

'Kasun Tharaka'

I have had this water black color coming out from the exhaust in the morning almost all vehicles I used this is normal as for my knowledge.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

@ harshansenadhir,

No changes except Air Filter. That was replaced 1 month ago. That's all. :rolleyes:

@ Sylvi,

Good to hear that this is normal. But didn't know for sure. will see. :D

'Kasun Tharaka,

The new Indian mini van I use have few drops of water coming out from the silencer end of the pipe in the morning only. My post If I am wrong please correct me like to know.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Kasun Tharaka,

The new Indian mini van I use have few drops of water coming out from the silencer end of the pipe in the morning only. My post If I am wrong please correct me like to know.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi,

I guess your van has petrol engine. In petrol engines, people use to say that if your engine is perfectly tuned you could observe some water drops coming out from the silencer. But my concern is, can we say the same to Diesel engines? I've not heard such thing. That's why I'm digging out this.

Anyway, for your case, it is absolutely normal and it says your engine is tuned perfectly (if is it petrol) B)

Kasun

Thanks Don. BTW is every diesel engine is having this scenario? i mean as you said, the water vapor is coming out from every diesel engine since it is a result of internal combustion? the reason i'm asking is i'm experiencing this since 2 weeks time... :blink:

BR

Kasun

Water is a by product of hydro carbon combustion but what usually comes out is water vapour, hence you can't really see it. In Diesels you don't see visible evidence of it as much as petrol. If the engine is not losing radiator fluid, oil etc and the water coming out is not oily or smelly (like Harshan pointed out), I agree with Harshan and Sylvi that there is not much to worry about.