• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dual Battery Setups

tiv

Question

Just wanted to ask auto electrical experts in the forum,

why is a series circuit of 2x12volt batteries used the in hilux? almost all models.. why the extra battery? even in a stock vehicle?

And from the 4DR5 owners; why is it used it in parallel for a whopping 24v? Is the engine that heavy to yank in using a 24v motor? :rolleyes:

Thanks..

8 answers to this question

AFAIK some models (LN 10x) used 2x12V batteries in parallel and not series. Even the LH 10x (we had a LH 109 4WD) Hi-ace (Dolphin) had this configuration. Since it is parallel, it is 12V and not 24V (the 4DR5 has 2x12V in series and is 24V). Batteries are added in parallel to increase total capacity (AH i think) as opposed to connecting in series to increase voltage. So to answer your question, in the case of the HiLux, HiAce, I guess its due space constraints/design and better flexibility since I've seen HiLuxes with a single 100-110 AH battery as opposed to 2 55AH batteries connected in parallel. As for the 4DR5's having 24V electrics, i think this was due to the fact that it was designed based on Willys Jeep which in-turn was originally designed for the military. Most military vehicles/equipment have 24V electrics even to this day.

Edited by leyland

AFAIK some models (LN 10x) used 2x12V batteries in parallel and not series. Even the LH 10x (we had a LH 109 4WD) Hi-ace (Dolphin) had this configuration. Since it is parallel, it is 12V and not 24V (the 4DR5 has 2x12V in series and is 24V). Batteries are added in parallel to increase total capacity (AH i think) as opposed to connecting in series to increase voltage. So to answer your question, in the case of the HiLux, HiAce, I guess its due space constraints/design and better flexibility since I've seen HiLuxes with a single 100-110 AH battery as opposed to 2 55AH batteries connected in parallel. As for the 4DR5's having 24V electrics, i think this was due to the fact that it was designed based on Willys Jeep which in-turn was originally designed for the military. Most military vehicles/equipment have 24V electrics even to this day.

Thanks for the reply mate, I myself have been confused with the series - parallel thing, its been a long time since I heard/read them the last time lol, anyway so I guess the HILUX and others require a greater current for some reason, opposed to the 4DR5s which require a greater voltage.. Maybe someone with more expertise will shed some light into this..

Edited by tiv

Members,

24 volts DC 2 12 volts batteries in series is used in some vehicles and all high powered industrial generator engines for starter motor as they want more power to crank the engine for a quick start.

If 12 DC two batteries are parallel then you will have more ampere hours in your system

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

24 volts DC 2 12 volts batteries in series is used in some vehicles and all high powered industrial generator engines for starter motor as they want more power to crank the engine for a quick start.

If 12 DC two batteries are parallel then you will have more ampere hours in your system

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Ok so the 4DR5 is a high powered industrial engine is it? High compression or whatever.. btw what is the requirement of a high current in the system in a dual purpose vehicle such as a Hilux or a Hiace?

Edited by tiv

Folks,

This is a very good and very valid question.

This is my 2cents.

High Ampere Hours (Ah) means not high current, it is the ability to provide the normally required current for long hours without draining the battery.

E.g. In Hilux (same case in Land Cruisers) if an electric winch is used, the battery should be able to operate it without draining the battery quickly. Also high Ah means the alternator is safe. Hiace Dolphin requires dual battery if they have dual A/C installed,unless the single battery will drain so soon.

Hope this helps!

Folks,

This is my 2cents.

High Ampere Hours (Ah) means not high current, it is the ability to provide the normally required current for long hours without draining the battery.

E.g. In Hilux (same case in Land Cruisers) if an electric winch is used, the battery should be able to operate it without draining the battery quickly. Also high Ah means the alternator is safe. Hiace Dolphin requires dual battery if they have dual A/C installed,unless the single battery will drain so soon.

Hope this helps!

'CruiserFan'.

Yes you are correct most of this type of vehicles are made with a special thought as the above post informs. not only that they can be used in camping sites 2 12VDC batteries in parallel for modern equipment for long time use. If the vehicle is used for with their own battery power research survey work in stationary so that without engine working.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Folks,

This is my 2cents.

Hope this helps!

'CruiserFan'.

Yes you are correct most of this type of vehicles are made with a special thought as the above post informs. not only that they can be used in camping sites 2 12VDC batteries in parallel for modern equipment for long time use. If the vehicle is used for with their own battery power research survey work in stationary so that without engine working.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks for the replies people, I had quite a confusion there.. I guess that query is solved..

Edited by tiv