• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

95 Octane / Ioc 90 Extra Premium Low Milage

xaxmax

Hi All,

I have a Suzuki Swift (HT51S) 2004 model. Normally I pump 90 octane and it does approximately 11 Km/L on city limits.

During the past couple of weeks because of the bad substance in 90 Octane petrol, I had to pump IOC 95 Extra premium full tank. I thought it would give me a better mileage. But i was wrong it does only 10 Km/L. So in next two occasions I pumped IOC 90 Octane Extra Premium and you all won't believe me it does approximately 9 Km/L.

So after this got back to 90 octane and y-day I pumped full tank of it. I hope this will do the normal 11 Km/L.

I just want to know from the experts whether this kind of situations could happen or is it a defect in my EFI system?

Basically i am not a so called heavy foot driver and normally i drive within 2000 rpm and 40 km/h, and no kick paddles.

For engine oil I am using Mobil super 1000.

Please help me guys to figure out what the issue is.

xaxmax

Hi All,

I have a Suzuki Swift (HT51S) 2004 model. Normally I pump 90 octane and it does approximately 11 Km/L on city limits.

During the past couple of weeks because of the bad substance in 90 Octane petrol, I had to pump IOC 95 Extra premium full tank. I thought it would give me a better mileage. But i was wrong it does only 10 Km/L. So in next two occasions I pumped IOC 90 Octane Extra Premium and you all won't believe me it does approximately 9 Km/L.

So after this got back to 90 octane and y-day I pumped full tank of it. I hope this will do the normal 11 Km/L.

I just want to know from the experts whether this kind of situations could happen or is it a defect in my EFI system?

Basically i am not a so called heavy foot driver and normally i drive within 2000 rpm and 40 km/h, and no kick paddles.

xaxmax

'xaxmax',

I too have Indian maruti mini van I have tried both 90 and 95 octane but there is no significant difference on both gasoline. Driver is one person.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi All,

xaxmax

machan there are no experts here,they live in belief that they are,u could be mislead, becareful, its not a defect on your EFI,your car just witnessed xtra premium,so since u are not going to complete pumping that,and sticking to your 90oct,u should get your desired value,and try changing your gears by 1600-1800RPM,this will help too,thats only if u want machan.

hope it comes in handy

Theoretically, it is possible to get a slightly lower fuel economy with 95 compared to 90, because 95 has more benzene than 90. However, whether you get such a significant difference remains a question.

machan there are no experts here,they live in belief that they are,u could be mislead, becareful, its not a defect on your EFI,your car just witnessed xtra premium,so since u are not going to complete pumping that,and sticking to your 90oct,u should get your desired value,and try changing your gears by 1600-1800RPM,this will help too,thats only if u want machan.

hope it comes in handy

What's the village idiot doing in this forum?

And sir, if I tell u that the HT51S comes with auto-transmission, what would be your kind recommendation about changing gears?

You mean the better side of it or the otherway? Also wt is the RON of IOC extra premium regular?

Xtrapremium is RON 92 in Sri Lanka and RON 91 in India

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Mostly These fuel types define their anti knock qualities. Usually the engine knock is caused by fuel molecules breaking apart and detonating before the spark plug ignites the air fuel mixture (self ignition). The engine will be damaged if it is allowed to continue.

Designing an engine to reduce knock tends to reduce its efficiency and power output(low compression ratio). Using a fuel with good anti-knock properties allows designers to deliver more power and efficiency out of the engine by increasing a high compression ratio.

So theres no point using fuel with a higher octane rating than the engine was designed for. So long as the fuel doesnt cause engine knock, its good enough. Some cars are optimised for higher octane fuel, but can run on lower octane fuel by electronically detecting knock and delaying the spark timing, at the expense of power output and economy. And some cars can run on either 95 or 90 octane petrol. Turbocharged engines are recommended to be used high octane fuel then the turbo can increase its boost pressure.