• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Thermostat Valve

sira

As I mentioned you about my friend’s EK3 , one of a mechanic said the Thermostat valve is useless. You can run without it and does not make any sense. How true it for Hondas, because as i’m aware the Thermostat valve is the something like temperature controller, it controls the temperature if it’s hot only. why All cars got this unit if it's not necessary

Anybody knows the reason of removing the thermostat valve. Is Honda uses bit am high temperature than other cars?

What is the logic of this statements?

Thanks

sira

May be dis has been discussed earlier & sometimes you may be know all the things

As I mentioned you about my friend’s EK3 ,

one of a mechanic said the Thermostat valve is useless - Thats a voice of typical machanic in SL..

You can run without it and does not make any sense - Yes you can run the car without thermostat valve, but Y

How true it for Hondas, because as i’m aware the Thermostat valve is the something like temperature controller-

It's actually control the radiator Fan, when the temprature of the coolant has rised, the valve is expanded,

which lead to switch ON electric circuit of the radiator Fan.

the process will reverse, when the engine temprature (Coolant temprature) goes down

It controls the temperature if it’s hot only. why All cars got this unit if it's not necessary-

Having this unit is safe for radiator fan. otherwise fan will run all the time, from the time ignition is on

Anybody knows the reason of removing the thermostat valve.

Beacuse macahnic thinks this is the easiest way , most positive remady to get down the heat by running Radiotor fan all the time

Is Honda uses bit high temperature than other cars?

The optimum performance of the engine will gain at right temprature, this will vary to variou mamufature..engine size etc.

Thanks

sira

Edited by westcoast EK3

Members,

The thermostat valve is necessary to maintain the correct temperature all around the for maximum efficiency of the engine.

Please log into this web page. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question248.htm

This is my experience in old European Vehicles I only want to share same.Some vehicles I have used three decades ago removed them due to faulty valves they do not open at correct temperature and the engine start to boil there was no spares at that time later I found 4th cylinder had excess piston rings gap due removing the Thermostat Valve and running the vehicle 4th cylinder in two vehicles which I used had the same problem. Oil used come to the plugs and that cylinder started missing. I found out that was due to not maintaining the correct temperature in the engine block in 4th cylinder area.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

As I mentioned you about my friend’s EK3 , one of a mechanic said the Thermostat valve is useless. You can run without it and does not make any sense. How true it for Hondas, because as i’m aware the Thermostat valve is the something like temperature controller, it controls the temperature if it’s hot only. why All cars got this unit if it's not necessary

Anybody knows the reason of removing the thermostat valve. Is Honda uses bit am high temperature than other cars?

Thanks

sira

The thermostat valve basically stops coolant circulation to the engine. This is needed when you start the car early morning to get the engine temperature to optimal. (The temperature gauge on your dash has to reach the middle). Sri Lanka is a hot country so it can do without this valve in old cars (ek3 is just a Open/close valve so is "a old car"). Newer cars it actually regulates the flow, so ECU might give out error codes if it's missing.

If you use just water or contaminated coolant, in our climate the valve can get sticky. Sometimes it has to be neither of these, it will still get sticky in our climate. I know this because I import heavy machinery and even in newer 2008 models, after a month or so the valve needs replacing.

If you use just water or contaminated coolant, in our climate the valve can get sticky. Sometimes it has to be neither of these, it will still get sticky in our climate. I know this because I import heavy machinery and even in newer 2008 models, after a month or so the valve needs replacing.

What utter bull####.

The thermostat valve basically stops coolant circulation to the engine. This is needed when you start the car early morning to get the engine temperature to optimal. (The temperature gauge on your dash has to reach the middle). Sri Lanka is a hot country so it can do without this valve in old cars (ek3 is just a Open/close valve so is "a old car"). Newer cars it actually regulates the flow, so ECU might give out error codes if it's missing.

-GeNeX,

You say on Heavy machinery Earth moving or Generator engines. In our climate this valve get damage. How after replacing with new one do you use coolant or ordinary water available.As I was one time in heavy machinery that was 25 years ago we did not have this problem on that time the but we use to remove and clean the radiator when we find the temp meter shows not normal. Clean the valve too.Normally on the valve there will be white stuff forming.After cleaning the valve we used to do a hot water test inside a glass jar to see the valve is opening at correct temperature With a temperature gauge probe in the glass jar.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

-GeNeX,

You say on Heavy machinery Earth moving or Generator engines. In our climate this valve get damage. How after replacing with new one do you use coolant or ordinary water available.As I was one time in heavy machinery that was 25 years ago we did not have this problem on that time the but we use to remove and clean the radiator when we find the temp meter shows not normal. Clean the valve too.Normally on the valve there will be white stuff forming.After cleaning the valve we used to do a hot water test inside a glass jar to see the valve is opening at correct temperature With a temperature gauge probe in the glass jar.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi,

All machines are used with the appropriate coolant. The machine I saw had the white build-up. Although I have been notified of black or brown build-ups also. Since these machines are bought to be used constantly, not sit idle for repair loosing money, all people I have dealt with opt to remove the valve completely. Sometimes even before any problems occur.

Sylvi,

All machines are used with the appropriate coolant. The machine I saw had the white build-up. Although I have been notified of black or brown build-ups also. Since these machines are bought to be used constantly, not sit idle for repair loosing money, all people I have dealt with opt to remove the valve completely. Sometimes even before any problems occur.

-GeNeX--,

White build up is calcium if water is used only some places well water will have I do not know how that comes if coolant is used. I have attended Dorman, Merlies, Man, Cummings, engines with big generators some of them did not have the valve.

Sylvi Wijesinghe