• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil Level Drop/burn

GKWKK

I have observed little oil level dropring in my EE90 corolla. After 260-290 km I had to refill 250ml engine oil is this unusual? Also there is slight white smoke when engine runs at higher RPM. Is there a connetion with oil burnning please advice..

Thanks ..

What do you suspect cause for this issue?

Is this need urgent attension or Can I repair later

Most probably the car is burning oil. Also, do you see any visible oil leaks, and patches of leaked oil after overnight parking? Do you find the coolant/water in the radiator to be contaminated with oil? You may be able to run for a while like you have been doing, but losing 250ml of oil per 260-290KM is quite a lot, so better to get it checked ASAP.

Edited by Az

Most probably the car is burning oil. Also, do you see any visible oil leaks, and patches of leaked oil after overnight parking? Do you find the coolant/water in the radiator to be contaminated with oil? You may be able to run for a while like you have been doing, but losing 250ml of oil per 260-290KM is quite a lot, so better to get it checked ASAP.

'AZ',

Yes you are correct he must examine all what you have mentioned. If above what you have mentioned defects are not there and I suggest if the Topic starter GKWKK Vehicle service is due he can try little thicker grade of oil which I use to do on my M/F tractor engine then I used highest viscosity which was available during those days. Used same engine for another three months or so.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I have observed little oil level dropring in my EE90 corolla. After 260-290 km I had to refill 250ml engine oil is this unusual? Also there is slight white smoke when engine runs at higher RPM. Is there a connetion with oil burnning please advice..

When you say white smoke do you mean the white smoke that comes in the morning ? if so this is not unusual but if it continues after the engine has built up heat its definitely engine oil leaking into your cylinders, this causes white smoke and might as well explain your reduction in oil levels. Possible reasons could be worn out piston rings, worn out cylinder heads etc. Im guessing this is somewhat of an old engine ? if so its time for an engine rebuild or a replacement of an engine :alc:

Edited by Pericles

When you say white smoke do you mean the white smoke that comes in the morning ? if so this is not unusual but if it continues after the engine has built up heat its definitely engine oil leaking into your cylinders, this causes white smoke and might as well explain your reduction in oil levels. Possible reasons could be worn out piston rings, worn out cylinder heads etc. Im guessing this is somewhat of an old engine ? if so its time for an engine rebuild or a replacement of an engine :alc:

Yes, it's during the heating period gradually decrease after heating the engine. Although this is old car this got through the emission test also easily. After the vehicle service & oil change engine oil level has't gone down as earlier but I may have see a good mechanic for this issue.

Thanks

Yes, it's during the heating period gradually decrease after heating the engine. Although this is old car this got through the emission test also easily. After the vehicle service & oil change engine oil level has't gone down as earlier but I may have see a good mechanic for this issue.

Thanks

you seem to have an oil leak from the valve seals...

when you keep the car parked (not running) oil getting passed the valve seal gets into the combustion chamber.

Once you start up the car...this bit of oil get burnt letting off the blue/white smoke.

once that bit of oil is burned off...no more smoke...

The smoke should be notceably worse if you let the car sit idle for a couple of days and then start it up..

It's relatively easy problem to fix...

you'd need a new head gasket and new valve seals/guide seals etc....

• Like 2

Thanks

Okay so from the information i got from you i would say this is not a problem that would need immediate attention from a mechanic, my suggestion would be to run it for at least another month and make sure that there is no oil level drop again.

As for the change from dropping to not dropping i can think of 2 things that could have gone wrong,

1) would be that who ever serviced the car used a lower grade of oil than recommended or

2) simply they didn't plug in your oil drain plug properly/ or faulty oil drain plug.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2326731_inspect-motor-oil-drain-plug.html

Take a look at this video but dont remove your plug now :D , just remember to check the plug the next time you service it.

BTW did you notice any oil drops on your garage or wherever you park it ?

Edit: also take note of rippers valve seal theory ( sorry didnt come to my mind at first)

Edited by The Stig

Okay so from the information i got from you i would say this is not a problem that would need immediate attention from a mechanic, my suggestion would be to run it for at least another month and make sure that there is no oil level drop again.

As for the change from dropping to not dropping i can think of 2 things that could have gone wrong,

1) would be that who ever serviced the car used a lower grade of oil than recommended or

2) simply they didn't plug in your oil drain plug properly/ or faulty oil drain plug.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2326731_inspect-motor-oil-drain-plug.html

Take a look at this video but dont remove your plug now :D , just remember to check the plug the next time you service it.

BTW did you notice any oil drops on your garage or wherever you park it ?

Edit: also take note of rippers valve seal theory ( sorry didnt come to my mind at first)

I use this vechicle only during week ends that may be the case for the excessive smoke as you all mentioned.but nosign of oil drops on my garage floor so far.

Thank you again for your valuable comments.

Edited by GKWKK