• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Missing And ....failing Green Test..

dhejasvini

guys,

im in a big problem with my marino these days...this is my first car and i do not know much about mechanics and i do whatever my mechanic says since it is not giving any big trouble and i have fixed small suspension issues after my purchase and i was so happy with my car till i went to the green test at La**s..failed in 1st attempt..then i went to my mechanic and got the throttle body, plug cleaned and fixed a new airfilter and i did all of these things 3 months before thats around 5000 kms. now again i went to Drive Green and yet again it failed and the reason was too much CO in my smoke. The guy at Drive Green asked whether my car having any issues like engine missing becoz he was saying that im burning more fuel than usual EFI cars. my wastage was 22 Rs per litre...i know this is ridicules but im getting around 8Kmpl with AC and uncompromising driving in city limits. all i want to know is

1. What is called engine missing??, since i havnt driven many cars i am helpless to find out whether my engine is missing or not... last 2-3 Weeks the car jering in low gears particularly in 1st gear not small jerks i can see my bonnet is jerking...

2. is it good get 8Kmpl in a 18yr old car with 5AFE engine which is well known for fuel efficient..but marinos are bit heavier than stantard AE100

please help

thnx in advance

guys,

im in a big problem with my marino these days...this is my first car and i do not know much about mechanics and i do whatever my mechanic says since it is not giving any big trouble and i have fixed small suspension issues after my purchase and i was so happy with my car till i went to the green test at La**s..failed in 1st attempt..then i went to my mechanic and got the throttle body, plug cleaned and fixed a new airfilter and i did all of these things 3 months before thats around 5000 kms. now again i went to Drive Green and yet again it failed and the reason was too much CO in my smoke. The guy at Drive Green asked whether my car having any issues like engine missing becoz he was saying that im burning more fuel than usual EFI cars. my wastage was 22 Rs per litre...i know this is ridicules but im getting around 8Kmpl with AC and uncompromising driving in city limits. all i want to know is

1. What is called engine missing??, since i havnt driven many cars i am helpless to find out whether my engine is missing or not... last 2-3 Weeks the car jering in low gears particularly in 1st gear not small jerks i can see my bonnet is jerking...

2. is it good get 8Kmpl in a 18yr old car with 5AFE engine which is well known for fuel efficient..but marinos are bit heavier than stantard AE100

please help

thnx in advanc

What your mechanic has done is a general tune-up with the car. If that doesn't work, u might be having a problem with a sensor in your vehicle that is sending the wrong amounts of air and fuel. This will cause high emissions of CO. My suggestion is to go to Toyota Lanka for a diagnostic.

Solving this might also help improve your fuel efficiency, since many people claim that Corollas do much better than 8km/l.

guys,

please help

thnx in advance

okay mate.. first get the car tuned up by a profesional,

someone with a computerized tuning center..

its a bit hard to tune a EFI car manually...

like crosswind said, this will cure the fuel consuption issue as well.

also for the other quesion. and engine miss's mean the engine stops when trying to start the car.

No it doesn't.An engine miss is when one or more cylinders not firing due to timing/ignition issues,overheating etc.

ah.. i always thought when you cant start the car.

coz when we had the Lancer C11 the Mechanic who fixed it told me that..

btw thnx MD

okay mate.. first get the car tuned up by a profesional,

someone with a computerized tuning center..

its a bit hard to tune a EFI car manually...

like crosswind said, this will cure the fuel consuption issue as well.

also for the other quesion. and engine miss's mean the engine stops when trying to start the car.

A scanner is used to find the faults of an engine. No 'tuning' can be done.

His mechanic did carry out the most basic things to rectify the issue.

No one can 'tune' an EFI engine, unless you have the necessary tech to redo the ECU mapping, which in a road going car like a Marino is not needed.

If the car is still failing the Green test, he should look at the plugs, high tension cables, the distributor, even the fuel filter. If the car is equipped with an oxygen sensor it might be faulty. If he hooks up to a scanner, he might get to know these things.

• Like 1

A scanner is used to find the faults of an engine. No 'tuning' can be done.

His mechanic did carry out the most basic things to rectify the issue.

No one can 'tune' an EFI engine, unless you have the necessary tech to redo the ECU mapping, which in a road going car like a Marino is not needed.

If the car is still failing the Green test, he should look at the plugs, high tension cables, the distributor, even the fuel filter. If the car is equipped with an oxygen sensor it might be faulty. If he hooks up to a scanner, he might get to know these things.

i see..

VVTi just have a question.. after they plug in the scanner, they accelrate the engine with the scanner..

actually what are they doing?

i see..

VVTi just have a question.. after they plug in the scanner, they accelrate the engine with the scanner..

actually what are they doing?

That is to get the parameters of all the available systems. Each car has ideal ranges for every system at certain rev ranges. They check for that.

• Like 1

if the engine is missing/cylinders are not firing i could feel a decrease in power but the car goes as normal but i could feel a slight less pulling power when climbing .. only thing is the jerking at low gear may be bad clutch plate

A bad clutch plate wont fail the car at the green test. You need to get your timing checked as well.

Like MD pointed out missing is when one or more cylinders dont fire, this will lead to all the petrol in your missing cylinder being unburnt and exiting through the exhaust in its raw form which explains the unburnt fuel theory.

If your engine is missing you can sometime hear a noticeable difference in the sound of the engine as opposed to one that is functioning properly. Did you notice that your car sounds different from what it sounded before ?

Check your spark plugs, you ignition coil and your ignition timing checked.

Also if your car has a catalytic convertor (i think it does) remove it from the exhaust piping and check if it has deposits on it, running a car for a long time store deposits on the CAT so its efficiency goes down.

i too had a 5a-fe on my previous car...a sprinter. i think the marino runs the same motor.

I would start with all teh sensors. There's only 2 oxygen sensors and one knock sensor.

Usually if the knock sensor is failing, the OBD will turn on the engine check light. Happened to me once and the car was running very poorly with noticeable petrol smell coming off the exhaust. Needless to say but the car failed the green test. In my case the knock sensor clip had come off so after rec-connecting all was ok

out of the two oxygen sensors, one is located in the airbox and the other is in the exhaust manifold.

If these two are buggered up...the OBD wont throw an error code. But the ECU runs the car in what called the "open loop" cycle. Meaning there are no real time feedback of the oxygen situ due to sensors failing and the ECU pumps fuel on a pre-programmed map. Simply the the ECU pumps extra fuel to the engine.

This leads to poor fuel consumption, bad results on emissions etc

If you haven't done it already, like all the other have said... first replace all four spark plugs, get a new air filter, get the timing checked.... of all those checks out....check the three sensors... If those too fail...check the injectors themselves and see if they are faulty....

If all those fail...something can be wrong with the ECU itself

Oddly enough, some ECU errors dont get picked up by the oBD...for obvious reasons :)

Good luck...

ps. toyota agents in SL are quite incapable of handling electronic related issues oddly enough. I would say a place like autoforce would do a better job.

I've had bad a experience with toyota lanka on my first car too. WOuld never take another ride there for fixing.

i too had a 5a-fe on my previous car...a sprinter. i think the marino runs the same motor.

I would start with all teh sensors. There's only 2 oxygen sensors and one knock sensor.

Usually if the knock sensor is failing, the OBD will turn on the engine check light. Happened to me once and the car was running very poorly with noticeable petrol smell coming off the exhaust. Needless to say but the car failed the green test. In my case the knock sensor clip had come off so after rec-connecting all was ok

out of the two oxygen sensors, one is located in the airbox and the other is in the exhaust manifold.

If these two are buggered up...the OBD wont throw an error code. But the ECU runs the car in what called the "open loop" cycle. Meaning there are no real time feedback of the oxygen situ due to sensors failing and the ECU pumps fuel on a pre-programmed map. Simply the the ECU pumps extra fuel to the engine.

This leads to poor fuel consumption, bad results on emissions etc

If you haven't done it already, like all the other have said... first replace all four spark plugs, get a new air filter, get the timing checked.... of all those checks out....check the three sensors... If those too fail...check the injectors themselves and see if they are faulty....

If all those fail...something can be wrong with the ECU itself

Oddly enough, some ECU errors dont get picked up by the oBD...for obvious reasons :)

Good luck...

ps. toyota agents in SL are quite incapable of handling electronic related issues oddly enough. I would say a place like autoforce would do a better job.

I've had bad a experience with toyota lanka on my first car too. WOuld never take another ride there for fixing.

As it is not givnig any error code, how we get to know there is the qxygen sensor is malfunctioning?

As it is not givnig any error code, how we get to know there is the qxygen sensor is malfunctioning?

to my limited knowledge...O2 sensors can be checked by with a voltmeter. But you'd need to know the parameters for that particular vehicle to compare to and then make a call.

All an O2 sensor does is vary the voltage in relation to the amount of O2 present and send that to the ECU.

So you're just checking to see if the sensor is giving out this voltage.

Usually, shop manuals have the voltage numbers for a working sensor.

the 5a-fe runs on the older OBD1 system.... it doesn't monitor lots of fucntions compared to the OBD2...

So afaik...a scan might not work if error check engine light is not on. Unless of course there is an error in the system but your check engine light is either burnt out or not working porperly. Some ECU failures don't knock out the entire system and ECU errors at times don't get detected by OBD.

Best would be to take it to a good garage with good expertise on EFI systems... Suppose toyota lanka too would get the job done.

Once...they returned my car after a repair with the oil filler cap opened. I drove a good 2-3km's without the cap and only realized what was wrong after oil started splattering on my windscreen. luckily the oil cap had got stuck in engine bay. But the whole compartment was drenched in oil, the rubber bit that comes on the front end of the bonnet got wasted due to heated oil...

From that day on... I haven't sighted toyota lanka though it's just about 2-3km;s from where i stay.

today i went to toyota lanka ...and first they told to do inspection on the engine so i did result the engine has slight oil sludge and need to do an overhaul..it will cost arround 1 lak and take at least one week time.. does any one spend more than 1 lak for a 18 yr old 5AFE motor.....????

anyway how is automiraj??

is there any specific place good for efi engines

today i went to toyota lanka ...and first they told to do inspection on the engine so i did result the engine has slight oil sludge and need to do an overhaul..it will cost arround 1 lak and take at least one week time.. does any one spend more than 1 lak for a 18 yr old 5AFE motor.....????

anyway how is automiraj??

is there any specific place good for efi engines

"slight" sludge causing a misfire therefore you need an overhaul? seems like a B.S. diagnosis. Just take your car to an experienced mechanic in a small time joint and get them to figure it out. I can recommend one or two if you want.

Stay away from big name places like automiraj.

oh well....that's toyota lanka right there for you mate. seriously these agents really need to offer a better solution to people.

A jap used 5a-fe motor block minus pumps, tranny etc can be had for like 20k :) Of course you gotta check and get a good motor but in my view still that's a better option :)

As JD said...VVti and Myself take our rides to a small garage in seeduwa. He is really good but sometimes you'd have to wait for a while to get stuff done cos he runs a solo operation :)

In fact... i've been on the queue for over a week now to get my suspension bushes changed :(