• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing Used Cars

dhanuka

You can't legally bring down a car that old.

As I know u can bring down an old car if necessary. But will have to get special permission from RMV and Customs and will have to pay a lot.

For an example if you want to bring down a classic car that's possible.

Not sure whether there's a new change in this law.. :mellow:

As I know u can bring down an old car if necessary. But will have to get special permission from RMV and Customs and will have to pay a lot.

For an example if you want to bring down a classic car that's possible.

Not sure whether there's a new change in this law.. :mellow:

Fine, you normally can't legally bring down a car that old.

And 95 isn't gonna be allowed under a classic exception, surely. I grow faint at the thought of all those EG8 boys claiming their cars are "classics".

im new to this field. i just went through this Tradeview site and saw some cars which are in good condition. thats where the question arose in my head whether we could import them or not. i do not have a permit. will it be costly than buying one from here?

If that was so easy everyone will be doing it mate. I would forget the idea and start searching locally. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I have a car that I own and love in New Zealand and want to get it to Sri Lanka. Its a 1983 Datsun 280zx (in my thumbnail photo). I do not think that there are any in Sri Lanka and so importing as a classic seems to be the only choice. Anyone know about this? Is it possible? Anyone done it recently? How old is "classic"? So many questions...

Thanks for any help!

Hey guys, I have a car that I own and love in New Zealand and want to get it to Sri Lanka. Its a 1983 Datsun 280zx (in my thumbnail photo). I do not think that there are any in Sri Lanka and so importing as a classic seems to be the only choice. Anyone know about this? Is it possible? Anyone done it recently? How old is "classic"? So many questions...

Thanks for any help!

Niroshan Niriella',

If you have owned the car for long time and you are going to settle down in srilanka Import control department give you a permit import same for your use in Srilanka as far as I know.,You have to register same in your name after paying the taxes.

Or else you can import the car on a passport to car, to re export to your country srilanka will allow using same for one year.

Get all information from Automobile Association in your country.

There was a thread some time back srilankan living in USA wanted to import the vehicle to his travel here for his stay in srilanka.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Import control department give you a permit import same for your use in Srilanka as far as I know.,You have to register same in your name after paying the taxes.

Get all information from Automobile Association in your country.

This is interesting. However, i am yet to find any solid information regarding this online, not even on the Dept. of Import and Export Control web site. I thought the possibility of importing a car greater than 10 years (without a gift/blue permit) legally was next to impossible.

Dont think the AA of New Zealand would know anything about Import/Expor laws in SL.

Niroshan, you can try firing an email to the department, info at http://www.imexport.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=117〈=en . I would not count on a positive/informative reply though.