• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Insurance After Accident Damage

Lahiruwan

My 2006 Toyota Corolla (bought Brand New from Toyota Lanka in 2006) recently met with an accident where another guy ran a red light (at the instruction of a policeman) and crashed into the the front driver's side.

Toyota Lanka has given an estimate of 1.8million and now Union Assurance is telling we have to foot 20% of the cost and 50% of airbag costs. Is this legal for them to do this?

Would appreciate advice.

Thanks

My 2006 Toyota Corolla (bought Brand New from Toyota Lanka in 2006) recently met with an accident where another guy ran a red light (at the instruction of a policeman) and crashed into the the front driver's side.

Toyota Lanka has given an estimate of 1.8million and now Union Assurance is telling we have to foot 20% of the cost and 50% of airbag costs. Is this legal for them to do this?

Would appreciate advice.

Thanks

On what basis they say so? If you plan to make a proper complaint and fight for it.. best thing is to write them a letter requesting an explanation for deductions.

What I observed is they put lot of deductions by default. And more you make a fuss about it more you be able to claim.

p.s. And yes you need to check the terms and conditions.

Some features like, airbag/navigation/luxury items and even fog lights go in different categories hence different conditions.

Edited by MkX

gud luck with UNION ASS-u-ran-ce

they hv done worse in the past , and im a big victim, lets say 10 years back i was in a situation i practicaly had to condemn the whole vehicle due to the nature of the accident. and the best part was , they din gave a cent of the claim .

so mate if you wanna take your claim make sure u got sum big shot frnds inside the place , then you r shape , or else god bless thama.

Edited by cruze5151

gud luck with UNION ASS-u-ran-ce

they hv done worse in the past , and im a big victim, lets say 10 years back i was in a situation i practicaly had to condemn the whole vehicle due to the nature of the accident. and the best part was , they din gave a cent of the claim .

And the reason given by them for not paying a cent?

reason - vehicle was not driven by the same person tho in the police reports it was clear it was the same person.

Same person means the policy holder? I have driven my wife's vehicle and met with accidents twice (not my fault) but never had an issue claiming.

So you just let them get away with all the evidence?

sorry to hear about your accident. when i met with an accident recently, SLIC said that I'd have to bear 25% of the cost if i was buying brand new parts, whereas if the parts were reconditioned they would bear the entire cost. if possible check with them if its the same for brand new and reconditioned? though you'd have to look outside of toyota lanka if replacing with used parts.

sorry to hear about your accident. when i met with an accident recently, SLIC said that I'd have to bear 25% of the cost if i was buying brand new parts, whereas if the parts were reconditioned they would bear the entire cost. if possible check with them if its the same for brand new and reconditioned? though you'd have to look outside of toyota lanka if replacing with used parts.

Thanks for the replies.

When I spoke to someone at the Insurance company they said that I have the option of getting the car written off if I thought I could not get it repaired with the money they were offering. Any experience with this? Would they agree to this considering the car is insured for 2.6mil and the cost is 1.8mil?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

When I spoke to someone at the Insurance company they said that I have the option of getting the car written off if I thought I could not get it repaired with the money they were offering. Any experience with this? Would they agree to this considering the car is insured for 2.6mil and the cost is 1.8mil?

Thanks

Did you try getting another quote from somewhere else? Most insurance companies do not like to pay for agent charges.

Best thing is to get the terms and conditions checked by an attorney at law.

If the conditions they imposed are not in the terms and conditions that you signed and if you did not get a policy update from them you can technically take legal action and also complain to the consumer affairs authority. But my advice is dont, legal matters drag on for years by that time you wish you never started it in the first place. The smart thing to do is to threaten them and force them into a settlement, usually meeting a top ranked executive will work cause they dont wont want to ruin their brand image and will hopefully be willing to come to a settlement.

go with NDB Aviva.....

keep away from SLIC. they have gone from bad to worse. so many customers are complaining.

Tell your agent to give in a letter what are the items not covered from insurance.

Most insurance will cut a percentage depending on how many years the vehicale is. for example if you vehicale 3 mil. they will take the premimum for 3 mil but will cut 10 % / 20 % or 30 % depending on how old your car is.

also never agree for a excess. It will reduce your premium by a small amount. but the loss for you is more.

most insurance will cut 50 % for all rubber items. some times if you damage your tires you will have to pocket 50 %.

If you have any issue complain to Tamara Sennayake of www.ibsl.gov.lk ( Insurance Board of Sri Lanka )

Edited by Velocity

I dont find anyone better than velocity to answer Insurance related. Thanks mate for the reply and will trust and follow your advises.

MINIACE

Infact mini, people should take extreme precaution when taking an insurance policy for a car. Reality is that it is not the person who wears a tie who promised you loads of crap when selling the policy who will be present at the time of accident.

when an accident happens you have to call the Customer Care hotline and the person who visits you is the assesor. Insurance Assesor does his job perfectly. They are in control of the situation and they have to work according to the rules of the company. If your agent has lied to your regarding the policy, this is where problem arrises.

So make sure if a guy comes in a tie and tries to sell you a piece of paper ask all these questions.

1) If there is a voluntary excess in your policy ( If you have a 10000 excess you premium might go down by 4000 rupees. But if you have 5 seperate accidents in a year you will have to pocket 10000 rupees on each bill which means Rs 50,000. Say you meet with an accident and Garage bill is 10001 Rupees. Insurance will only pay 1 rupee and you have to pocket out the Balance 10000. :). So never have a excess.

2 ) Make sure if your air bags are covered. If your vehicale has 8 air bags you need to be specialy worried. most insurance companies have air bag cover seperately.

3 ) Reduction of Percentage depending on how old the vehicale is,

4 ) Also if the insurance will cut a percentage of brand parts are brought for a recondition vehicale. ( This is very important)

5 ) whats the percentage cut for rubber items.

6) how much the insurance company will pay if a reconditioned vehicale is put for repairs at the agent.

7) what is the percentage paid for engine and gear box damage.

8 ) If your vehicale is a hybrid, what is the hybrid cover for your vehicale. most insurance companies will not cover repairs.

9) if a part is not in stock, will insurance company pay for the part if it is to be imported.

10 ) Always insurance the vehicale at the market value. If you have a lower value they will only pay a percentage.

Edited by Velocity

go with NDB Aviva.....

keep away from SLIC. they have gone from bad to worse. so many customers are complaining.

Tell your agent to give in a letter what are the items not covered from insurance.

Most insurance will cut a percentage depending on how many years the vehicale is. for example if you vehicale 3 mil. they will take the premimum for 3 mil but will cut 10 % / 20 % or 30 % depending on how old your car is.

also never agree for a excess. It will reduce your premium by a small amount. but the loss for you is more.

most insurance will cut 50 % for all rubber items. some times if you damage your tires you will have to pocket 50 %.

If you have any issue complain to Tamara Sennayake of www.ibsl.gov.lk ( Insurance Board of Sri Lanka )

Infact mini, people should take extreme precaution when taking an insurance policy for a car. Reality is that it is not the person who wears a tie who promised you loads of crap when selling the policy who will be present at the time of accident.

when an accident happens you have to call the Customer Care hotline and the person who visits you is the assesor. Insurance Assesor does his job perfectly. They are in control of the situation and they have to work according to the rules of the company. If your agent has lied to your regarding the policy, this is where problem arrises.

So make sure if a guy comes in a tie and tries to sell you a piece of paper ask all these questions.

1) If there is a voluntary excess in your policy ( If you have a 10000 excess you premium might go down by 4000 rupees. But if you have 5 seperate accidents in a year you will have to pocket 10000 rupees on each bill which means Rs 50,000. Say you meet with an accident and Garage bill is 10001 Rupees. Insurance will only pay 1 rupee and you have to pocket out the Balance 10000. :). So never have a excess.

2 ) Make sure if your air bags are covered. If your vehicale has 8 air bags you need to be specialy worried. most insurance companies have air bag cover seperately.

4 ) Also if the insurance will cut a percentage of brand parts are brought for a recondition vehicale. ( This is very important)

6) how much the insurance company will pay if a reconditioned vehicale is put for repairs at the agent.

8 ) If your vehicale is a hybrid, what is the hybrid cover for your vehicale. most insurance companies will not cover repairs.

9) if a part is not in stock, will insurance company pay for the part if it is to be imported.

10 ) Always insurance the vehicale at the market value. If you have a lower value they will only pay a percentage.

I don't know where you get your info from or who these complaining customers are, but FYI I made a claim from SLIC last month and I went to the agents to do it and I paid no excess at all and they dealt directly with them, even sent an agent the morning the vehicle was ready to settle everything. On top of it all they haven't taken away my NCB.

I guess if you read your policy document you'll know what you're getting.

Edited by ShintaroX

Comprehensive!!! Two thumbs up mate!! alc.gif

MINIACE

I don't know where you get your info from or who these complaining customers are, but FYI I made a claim from SLIC last month and I went to the agents to do it and I paid no excess at all and they dealt directly with them, even sent an agent the morning the vehicle was ready to settle everything. On top of it all they haven't taken away my NCB.

If you are a SLIC customers you have to go to agents. You will get deductions if you do repairs from other non agent Garages. i hope you did not misunderstand me.

by the way bro, can i know what type of accident did you met with and what was the agent who you repaird with. just for my information.

what were the parts replaced ?