• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Noice Could Not Recovered

udi

Question

Hi All,

I recently bough Suzuki Swift 2004(Jeep Model) and there were some noises so replaced rack ends ,lower arms , rack bush , stabilizer bushes and steering cross (kuruse) - I dont know the exact word for that :) . But in bumpy road (walawal thiyena parawal :D ) I hear a noice which comes under the dash board close to the steering column. This sound was there before replacing the cross. I took my car to 2-3 garages but they couldnt discover it .Please advice me.

12 answers to this question

might be a loosen bolt or some piece in the dash itself.

If it's a car with EPS (motor driven power steering) this sound is obvious after using in rutty SL roads. Honda Fit/Aria, March K11 (cup holder model), Corolla 121 are some other vulnerable models for this issue as wearing out the rack/pinion gear and the motor assembly.

might be a loosen bolt or some piece in the dash itself.

If it's a car with EPS (motor driven power steering) this sound is obvious after using in rutty SL roads. Honda Fit/Aria, March K11 (cup holder model), Corolla 121 are some other vulnerable models for this issue as wearing out the rack/pinion gear and the motor assembly.

hi harshansenadhir

my car equipped with EPS , so is that the issue.How can I resolve it.What should be my next step.Please advice me.

hi harshansenadhir

my car equipped with EPS , so is that the issue.How can I resolve it.What should be my next step.Please advice me.

all are assumptions based on the information made available by you, so I may be correct or wrong. Best if you can precisely isolate the sound to say it's from steering rack. However, most people I know of are living with this small rattle (if it's coming from EPS assisted rack) as either you have to replace the whole damn thing or re-install a hydraulic based PAS system which is not recommended.

all are assumptions based on the information made available by you, so I may be correct or wrong. Best if you can precisely isolate the sound to say it's from steering rack. However, most people I know of are living with this small rattle (if it's coming from EPS assisted rack) as either you have to replace the whole damn thing or re-install a hydraulic based PAS system which is not recommended.

Hi harshansenadhir,

Mine has the same noise.(Chevy cruze).Is it going to be a problem in future?? :unsure:

cheers

Hi harshansenadhir,

Mine has the same noise.(Chevy cruze).Is it going to be a problem in future?? :unsure:

cheers

if you can live with that small rutty sound, won't be a problem in the future, provided that it's not coming from rack ends or any other suspension parts than the rack itself in the middle.

Another workaround for rack and pinion systems is when they wear out, the center point can be adjusted to either left or right as what wear out fast is the teeth which couples with the pinion. Not entirely sure whether this is possible with racks coupled with EPS motor.

Good if it had lasted 6 months. Generally these Teflon ones won't last long and makes rack little heavy (stiff steering wheel)

Normally they use nylon bushes which does not last too long. I gave them a piece of TEFLON (Use for propeller shaft bush works).

Hi All

I did a full vehicle inspection with A^^W and they have given following comments.

1. I have used Alto lower arm , alto rack ends for the swift and they are not genuine parts

2. Even I change the stabilizer bush 1month before they all have worn out

3. Caliper pin replace

4. Some thing called ball joint in the rack gone (I don't know what is it)

They suggest replace all of the parts. Or replace the rack.

5. Shock mount worn out.

6. I have replace the rack bush , but they also have worn out.

Can I use genuine recondition parts for this.What would be the cost of recondition rack. Is the recondition rack comes with rack end tie rod ends and all that. How can I solve this without spending so much of money. Is there any way.What should I do now.Please help. :(

Edited by udi

Hi All

I did a full vehicle inspection with A^^W and they have given following comments.

1. I have used Alto lower arm , alto rack ends for the swift and they are not genuine parts

2. Even I change the stabilizer bush 1month before they all have worn out

3. Caliper pin replace

4. Some thing called ball joint in the rack gone (I don't know what is it)

They suggest replace all of the parts. Or replace the rack.

5. Shock mount worn out.

6. I have replace the rack bush , but they also have worn out.

Can I use genuine recondition parts for this.What would be the cost of recondition rack. Is the recondition rack comes with rack end tie rod ends and all that. How can I solve this without spending so much of money. Is there any way.What should I do now.Please help. :(

'udi',

There are no reconditioned racks you can buy, what is available is used imported to Srilanka, no one can guarantee them will give good service. It is better for you to get all repaired with high quality spares.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'udi',

There are no reconditioned racks you can buy, what is available is used imported to Srilanka, no one can guarantee them will give good service. It is better for you to get all repaired with high quality spares.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Mr. Silvy,

Found your email address in Autolanka forum. I'm also a member of the forum. I'd be really thankful if you can share your expert ideas on below matter. I own a Maruti Alto 800 (2010) and 25000km service is around the corner. I have never taken it to A*W for maintenance but thought that I'd take the car there (Rajagiriya Service center) this time as few have recommended and after reading posts in Autolanka. As my knowledge in this side is weak I'd like to get an advice from you. Hope you'll help me.

In the manual it says to do the following after 25000kms.

1. Change brake oil (Never changed)

2. Change coolant (Never changed)

3. Change gear oil (Never changed)

4. change spark plugs (Never changed)

5. Do an engine tune up (Never done)

6. Wheel alignment (Done recently)

7. Change Engine oil (Done 20000km)

8. Change Air filter and Oil filter (Air filter changed 15000km and oil filter 20000km)

What is you idea about above. Some say it is not compulsory to do all these right after 25000kms done.

I've attached a quote from A*W which I was taken few months back. It say all together it'd cost Rs17000. But or last service I only had to spend Rs6500.

Pls advise

Regards

Rookantha