• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Fog Lights

slcamel

Hi All,

I tried searching for this topic, there are several threads about the lights, but, I couldn’t find which is the best among them on Fog Lights when it comes to the made - Glass or Plastic.

I'm trying to fix new set of fog lights and when I talk to couple of friends, they said there are 2 types; Glass and Plastic made. Some says the Plastic lights gets faded/discolor after some time. So to check the quality of both made, I went to a Darly road shop and they offered me a Taiwan Set for RS 8000/-.

Guys, need your expert/experience comments in this regards, Either Glass or Plastic lights? I think 8000/- is a good price? :unsure:

Edited: The shop offered me a Glass Fog light set for 8000/-

Edited by slcamel

Hi All,

I tried searching for this topic, there are several threads about the lights, but, I couldn’t find which is the best among them on Fog Lights when it comes to the made - Glass or Plastic.

I'm trying to fix new set of fog lights and when I talk to couple of friends, they said there are 2 types; Glass and Plastic made. Some says the Plastic lights gets faded/discolor after some time. So to check the quality of both made, I went to a Darly road shop and they offered me a Taiwan Set for RS 8000/-.

Guys, need your expert/experience comments in this regards, Either Glass or Plastic lights? I think 8000/- is a good price? :unsure:

'slcamel',

You try at Motorcrade at Staples street, do not buy plastic lights glass face fog lights are the best.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'slcamel',

You try at Motorcrade at Staples street, do not buy plastic lights glass face fog lights are the best.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,

Thanks for your comment, i also feel the same, but there is a risk of getting glass faces damaged for rocks or other stuff, but, lets keep that a side, do you think 8000/- is a good price for a set of Taiwan Glass Face Fog light?

Edited by slcamel

glass is better, it doesnt get oxidised like the plastic.

actually are you fitting these fob lamps for a SUV?

No Schiffer, It is a Toyota Car.

My problem is whether i'm paying the right prize for this set. :) 8000/- for a Taiwan Set.

Edited by slcamel

My problem is whether i'm paying the right prize for this set. :) 8000/- for a Taiwan Set.

price you wanna pay really depends on what you expect out of them.

"fog lights" are the ones that put out a wider beam and shorter range. Depending on how often you tend to use it, you mightnot need high end lights. Even the cheaper lights can illuminate decently well on that sort of a beam pattern provided you have a quality bulb in it and it's setup right.

where you really need quality stuff is on driving lights cos the light has to be focused and projected for a longer distance.

I have two Hella Rallye 2000 driving lights on my truck run with 100w hella bulbs. Works beautifully but they aren't cheap.

Also hooked up two al cheapo foglights as reverse lights. works like a charm. Both have plastic lenses and run by 100w H3 bulbs. Those two lights cost me like 500-600 bucks.

good brands for lights in my experience are PIAA, Hella, Lightforce, Cibby etc

You might be able to pic up a set of hella comet 500's for about 9k from Motorkade

You might also want to check with the cops. external lights are, AFAIK, illegal. Probably covered under that act that says you can't modify your car without permission from the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Depends on the cop, of course, but we have had cops fuss about the lights mounted on the roof of the pickup. Even tho it was just covered holders with no bulbs in them.

If the fogs/driving lights are factory fitted, you're fine. If not, like mounted on the buffer, then not so good.

But you never know, they might have been making shit up looking for a handout. Just check up to be sure.

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting down a pair of fog lights for my ek3 through ebay. will I have to pay extra tax to clear these kind of items by going to the customs. No experiences with such big items from ebay. Please help me.

This is the item im planning to buy.

96-98 CIVIC SEDAN/COUPE JDM YELLOW FOG LIGHTS LAMP DEPO

OR ELSE anyone know a place to buy these kind of good lights in Local Market?

lf_cv96amdp1.jpg

Many Thanks.

Is it the whole kit including the wire harness, relay and switch or is it only the lights?

You might also want to check with the cops. external lights are, AFAIK, illegal. Probably covered under that act that says you can't modify your car without permission from the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Depends on the cop, of course, but we have had cops fuss about the lights mounted on the roof of the pickup. Even tho it was just covered holders with no bulbs in them.

If the fogs/driving lights are factory fitted, you're fine. If not, like mounted on the buffer, then not so good.

But you never know, they might have been making shit up looking for a handout. Just check up to be sure.

from what i understand...the rule is that you can't have auxiliary lights above the level of your factory headlights. which is why chaps with roof mounted lights get into trouble but bumper mounted guys tend drive around freely.

I have almost 10inch dia driving lights mounted on the bumper. And so far haven't got myself into any trouble over them.

I have even flashed at morons who come on high beams in and around colombo and even when cops are around.

Hell oneday flashed a traffic cop on a bike who rode straight at me on the wrong side of the road :P

Is it the whole kit including the wire harness, relay and switch or is it only the lights?

those thaiwan, chinese relays are crap mate. i'd say switches too are the same.

i busted about 3 crappy chinese relays bought from panchi/darley road until i finally switched to used denso relays. still holding up fine :)

well i used to have a spot lamp in my old corolla.

it had glass covers. and it only cost me 3k

so IMO its a bit expensive

TBtZW.jpg

take a look at the quality before you buy it. most Chinese made stuff a crap but sometimes you can find quality once. my car has a Chinese pair that i put lasted 5 years and still holding up great. make sure to put a relay and a fuse and gauge of wire that matches the output of the fog light. if you need a wire diagram i can draw it for you and send it.

Hi Sylvi,

Thanks for your comment, i also feel the same, but there is a risk of getting glass faces damaged for rocks or other stuff, but, lets keep that a side, do you think 8000/- is a good price for a set of Taiwan Glass Face Fog light?

'slcamel',

There are lot of posts educating you about fog lights after my post the quoted price is OK if it is glass.

Try some other shops also. You have to fix them on your buffer. Do not fix on separate fittings like bar fixture.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks alot for all the comments and those are really helpful, I've never fitted FOG/Driving lights in to any of my past car/jeeps before. so this is a good start for me.

As you adviced, i went to this Motorcrade at Staples street and offered me another Taiwan set for 8000/- with wire harnesses and lights and the covers for the front bumper. I checked the product, seems like good and hard - Glass face.

Now, I'm in a middle of the road :) don't know what to do. I checked one set at Negombo and they cost me 13k for only the lights and harness.

I dont know guy; help me to take a decision.

The one i picked has all the wiring and harnesses etc, but, do i need to tell them to put a relay and a fuse and gauge of wire seperately? machan if posible send me the diagram. thanks in advance.

unled1whf.jpg

just scribbled this on photoshop. :)

keep the fuse as closely as possible to the battery. fuse value should be...

add up the total wattage of the two fog lights and divide by 12... that will give you the amperage the circuit needs to run properly. say if total wattage is 200w.... 200/12=16.67 so a 20A fuse is what's required

As for the relay, i would buy a used jap relay from a breaker joint... a denso one off a toyota is what i'm running. Also buy a relay socket/holder so things are neat. I bought some heavy gauge wire meant for household wiring made by ACL i think.

The switch in the cabin...if the car doesn't have a stock fog light swtich that's already hardwired...make sure that switch power comes off ACC power. Or else if it's directly wired off the battery, you'll have to remember to switch them off eachtime cos they wont go off after you take the car keys out. Unless of course the switch is off.

use the ripper's Diagram get a 4 prong Relay and you should see 85,86,87 and 30 written in the prongs

wire from the cabin switch goes to the 86 prong on the relay

ground goes to the 85

wire from 30 to the (+) battery terminal and put a 20 amp inline fuse in between

run a 87 to the fog lights

Edited by blkr6

Slcamel,

Did you fixed the fog lights and got the wiring done, if you have any difficulty do inform to help you by fitting same and connecting wires do not worry about a payment.

Sylvi wijesinghe.

Sylvi, I did not buy the unit yet, one of my relatives traveling to Singapore this weekend, so i asked him to check good set of lights for me. Just give me a week or two, will buzz you once the unit is with me in hand. thanks for your help and i suppose i need that help from you.

Appreciate that. :)