• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cv Joint Trouble - Chevrolet Cruize 2002

r2kseries

Question

Hello Friends!

I have a Chevrolet Cruze 2002 4WD and three weeks ago I went to a garage due to a sound that was coming from when turning the steering wheel - and as they told me it was the CV joints, got them replaced (both the left and right). The right side axel boot (well, I don't know the exact name but its the one that connects to the engine) was ok and did not have to replace but had to replace the left (passenger side) side one.

Today after taking the car for a service they have found that the one that got replaced (right side) is leaking grease and is torn (again) - all within 3 weeks! Could there be some other problem which causes the right to wear off quickly for it to be damaged so soon. And may be I have travelled a maximum of 400 KM's within those 3 weeks. What could be causing the problem?

Also, when like travelling up small slopes if I accelerate there is a knocking sound coming from the axel, or well, the front - could that be related?

Also, where can I get the engine tuned for this car? Whom can I trust to get the job done properly?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Edited by r2kseries

6 answers to this question

Hello Friends!

I have a Chevrolet Cruze 2002 4WD and three weeks ago I went to a garage due to a sound that was coming from when turning the steering wheel - and as they told me it was the CV joints, got them replaced (both the left and right). The right side axel boot (well, I don't know the exact name but its the one that connects to the engine) was ok and did not have to replace but had to replace the right side one.

Today after taking the car for a service they have found that the one that got replaced (right side) is leaking grease and is torn (again) - all within 3 weeks! Could there be some other problem which causes the right to wear off quickly for it to be damaged so soon. And may be I have travelled a maximum of 400 KM's within those 3 weeks. What could be causing the problem?

Also, when like travelling up small slopes if I accelerate there is a knocking sound coming from the axel, or well, the front - could that be related?

Also, where can I get the engine tuned for this car? Whom can I trust to get the job done properly?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Well about the boot, it is very strange for it to fail so quickly. It was either not replaced properly or the boot used was of poor quality.

With regards to the knocking sound, it is most likely to be an engine mount so do have them checked.

Also in the front axle assembly there are two moving parts for each side. One is the CV joint but the other is the gearbox end (where the rod goes and connects to the engine). Both sides wear out but a worn out gear box tend to make noise even when travelling in a straight line so it does not sound like it could be the cause of any of the issues you are experiencing.

Well about the boot, it is very strange for it to fail so quickly. It was either not replaced properly or the boot used was of poor quality.

With regards to the knocking sound, it is most likely to be an engine mount so do have them checked.

Also in the front axle assembly there are two moving parts for each side. One is the CV joint but the other is the gearbox end (where the rod goes and connects to the engine). Both sides wear out but a worn out gear box tend to make noise even when travelling in a straight line so it does not sound like it could be the cause of any of the issues you are experiencing.

Thank you for your comment. It actually is the boot in the opposite end of the cv joint (left hand side) thats leaking grease. Not the cv joint itself - the one that connects to the gearbox (?, or engine). Does having 4wd have anything to do with this, because most of the other chevrolet cruize cars of this model are 2wd and also, can something be contributing towards this problem?

And also, I checked with mag city because they bring in the indian chevrolet (which is way different to this - its cruze is a sedan) - where can I buy an original part (the boot that connects to the gear box( or engine). Are they available? The shop that I bought the one that is now damaged told me its a japanese one they sold me (cost about 1400/=) is it possible that the japanses one cost only that much - any way to identify between chinese and japanese parts?

And what is the usual acceptable fuel economy for this car? Well, inside colombo it only does about 8 and long distance about a maximum 10 - is it the normal level or could it mean I need an engine tune up and plug replacing?

[And also, the boot was secured by a plastic ring [kind of like a plastic cuff] and not the metal cuff - during the replacement the mechanic told me that the metal cuff is missing and the one available was the plastic cuff - is it lousy practice to use a plastic cuff instead of metal or is it not an issue?]

Thank you for your comment and hope for you continued assistance.

Edited by r2kseries

Hello Friends!

I have a Chevrolet Cruze 2002 4WD and three weeks ago I went to a garage due to a sound that was coming from when turning the steering wheel - and as they told me it was the CV joints, got them replaced (both the left and right). The right side axel boot (well, I don't know the exact name but its the one that connects to the engine) was ok and did not have to replace but had to replace the left (passenger side) side one.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you!

well am not an expert but my feeling according to my knowledge there are 2 rubber boots fixed on one sidde. one get fixed closer to weel & other from the rack. it there is a leak of GREASE it can be from the one which fixed closed to weel.either it can not fixed properly or got damaged. if it happen from the other boot it can be a power steering oil leak.

& for the kncoking sound it may coming from your expired engine mount or check the lower arm bushes on both left & right side.you can do a test this by fring on a rough road.

And also, I checked with mag city because they bring in the indian chevrolet (which is way different to this - its cruze is a sedan) - where can I buy an original part (the boot that connects to the gear box( or engine). Are they available? The shop that I bought the one that is now damaged told me its a japanese one they sold me (cost about 1400/=) is it possible that the japanses one cost only that much - any way to identify between chinese and japanese parts?

definitely this is not a Japanese part... Check for any damages at the CV joint.. If there is not... replace the boot with a new one... or replace the CV joint...

when buying parts always go to the importer... but some importers has duplicates with them.

i would guess the place didn't change your boot, they just charged you for the job. boots never go bad that quick even the cheap Chinese boots. look at your boot and see whether its old and brittle or it has a cut. if its old and brittle they never changed the boot and if there is cut see what could cause that cut. noise from the Axel is a sign of a worn out Axel so replace it.

1+

Most probably the boots were of poor quality. Rubber items stored for long times in poor conidtions can make them brittle and prone to premature failure.

It's always best to get the best possible brand and check them closely. If there are any crack marks when you bend them.

An experineced mechanic can usually spot the differences between the chinese knockoffs and a genuine jap one.

Personally i try to stick with only a handful of parts shops so keeping a friendly relationship helps both parties in the long run. So those guys wont sell you bad quality stuff, unless that's what you want due to budgetry reasons.

Also you should always replace all rubber boots on CV job eventhough one or two might not be torn. Better insurance.

Another scenario can be bad installation or the boot got ripped while they were trying to install. It pays to be there yourself if possible for stuff like this.

having 4wd wont have an effect in this.