• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is It Safe To Change To 2 Or L While Moving?

chamilka

Question

In a vehicle with automatic transmission in normal condition we drive in D position. And in my vehicle there is a button to turn off OD which I use in heavy traffic and when driving up a hill. And I have realized that there is no use of turning off this OD when we drive down a hill because the engine brake will apply only if the gear in 2 or L. Now is it safe to change the gear to 2 or L while moving in a speed like more than 40kmph?

I have heard that in automatic transmission, vehicle should be stopped to change the gears otherwise it could damage the gearbox (I am referring to forward gears, this should be true for Reverse gear) So is this condition still there for vehicles like Nissan FB 14 (1997)?

Also in Suzuki Swift (beetle) like cars there is no OD on off button instead the gearshift should be moved to position 3 or D-3. Then is it safe to change it while moving.

Thank you.

10 answers to this question

A relative ruined the gearbox on his Startlet by regularly shifting into 2 from D while attempting to overtake. Engine braking will apply to any gear you're in, but in automatics the engine braking effect is mostly absorbed by the torque converter, therefore you will only feel the effects when in a higher ratio gear compared to the speed you're going at.

I personally never use any gear other than D. Turning off OD will have no effect in traffic or climbing a hill, as all it does is control whether the gearbox shifts into 4th or not. In my car, this happens at 80km/h while keeping the RPM at 2000 during acceleration.

A relative ruined the gearbox on his Startlet by regularly shifting into 2 from D while attempting to overtake. Engine braking will apply to any gear you're in, but in automatics the engine braking effect is mostly absorbed by the torque converter, therefore you will only feel the effects when in a higher ratio gear compared to the speed you're going at.

I personally never use any gear other than D. Turning off OD will have no effect in traffic or climbing a hill, as all it does is control whether the gearbox shifts into 4th or not. In my car, this happens at 80km/h while keeping the RPM at 2000 during acceleration.

Hi terrabytetango,If you have noticed when you turn off OD the gears from 1 to 3 changes quickly than there are when OD is ON. So it saves fuel in a traffic as well as going up a hill (In general when you can't drive in OD gear).And also according to my knowledge the clutch mechanism is different when the gear is in 2 or L. In that position only the vehicle will be slowed down by the clutch in D position when gas paddle released it is free to go as in neutral .

i too used to only drive in D and not care about 2 or L but when going downhill for long time, and going on the breaks for a long time

the breaks starts to smell a bit badly, so i started to shift down to 2, which massively reduces the break binding smell. but i kinda realize when moving back to the D there is a little knock.

so guess its not advisable to do while moving.

and i haven't felt a big difference when the OD is switched ON or OFF.

Now is it safe to change the gear to 2 or L while moving in a speed like more than 40kmph?

No. don't do this

I have heard that in automatic transmission, vehicle should be stopped to change the gears otherwise it could damage the gearbox (I am referring to forward gears, this should be true for Reverse gear) So is this condition still there for vehicles like Nissan FB 14 (1997)?

Yes

I think 80km/h is very late to shift into OD.

In my car, I can shift to OD around 50km/h.

as long as you're not going too fast and forcing it to do something it wouldn't do when you press the accelerator all the way (kick down) .... you should be fine. The reason for those selections (esp. 2) is when you want to hold the gears longer like climbing up a steep twisty hill/etc. or starting off in a slippery road (winter). ofcourse, if you slam it into 2nd when you're at speed, you're gonna break it eventually. It's a bit more forgiving than a manual because of the torque converter as opposed to a clutch, but it's still a matter of time.

Friends all forward great changes should be done under 20 Km/h. Reverse gear application should be done on when stationary and reverse to forward the same.OD is the final gear, so engages only when on high speeds. Depends on the make. You wont feel the effects (OD on or OFF) at low speeds.

MINIACE

• Like 1

I think 80km/h is very late to shift into OD. </p>

In my car, I can shift to OD around 50km/h.

Not sure, but it feels right to me since at 80km/h the engine is turning at 2000 rpm. If it shifted any earlier, the engine would be turning at less than that, and probably won't produce any usable power to accelerate at a decent rate from that speed. Maybe it varies with the car. Mine is a Vios, so since it isn't a JDM, the overdrive ratio is probably smaller since the car doesn't have the 180km/h upper limit.

my experince is simply im not using this L & 2 other than going on a way like horton place to avoid brake bindings & give much more power to go up . it's not acceptable to shift to gears while moving the vehicle.as MINIACE state it can be done atleast in a 20kmph speed but i use to do it in a 0kmph.about the OD button am useing to keep it always on other than in a hill,traffic jam & it's giving me much more smooth drive to me.

Edited by maheshw

Not sure, but it feels right to me since at 80km/h the engine is turning at 2000 rpm. If it shifted any earlier, the engine would be turning at less than that, and probably won't produce any usable power to accelerate at a decent rate from that speed. Maybe it varies with the car. Mine is a Vios, so since it isn't a JDM, the overdrive ratio is probably smaller since the car doesn't have the 180km/h upper limit.

This depends on our driving style.

When my uncle drive the car, he cannot get into OD quickly.

He don't know (and never understand) that we have to release the foot a bit to get into OD quickly. :)

• Like 1