• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover Free Lander - Why Is The Market Low??

Aneesha

Why is the market so low for Land Rover Free Landers? Is this a model known to give a lot of trouble? and how is the availability of spares?

The Freelander spares are relatively more expensive, the old K series petrol engine has a problem with the head gasket, prematurely developed issues with the suspension and the rear door glass is a little iffy .... Still a nice car though but requires a bit of TLC to keep one going !

The Freelander spares are relatively more expensive, the old K series petrol engine has a problem with the head gasket, prematurely developed issues with the suspension and the rear door glass is a little iffy .... Still a nice car though but requires a bit of TLC to keep one going !

i know of a chap who had a FL for quite a while. 65- diesel. His only complaint was that parts being pretty darn pricey. He mentioned that once he had to replace the windshield and rear view mirrors and both those were very expensive compared to jap brands in the same segment.

He own a spares shop so knows about cars. Reliability hadn't been a problem for him

Eventually the man flogged the FL and went for a monty! And according to him handling and comfort of the new monty falls far lower than his old FL.

Possibly Devinda or any other LR fan can shed more light on this. Also freelanders were dicussed before on AL if i'm not wrong.

Fabulous....

r6 - post some pictures of your racing ventures on the other thread homey. We are all waiting to see them.

Mani, i decided to give you the best of what i got! its so good i am taking some pics and video of racing adventures this is gonna be really good, you guys are gonna be really Happy!!!!

i know of a chap who had a FL for quite a while. 65- diesel. His only complaint was that parts being pretty darn pricey. He mentioned that once he had to replace the windshield and rear view mirrors and both those were very expensive compared to jap brands in the same segment.

He own a spares shop so knows about cars. Reliability hadn't been a problem for him

Eventually the man flogged the FL and went for a monty! And according to him handling and comfort of the new monty falls far lower than his old FL.

Possibly Devinda or any other LR fan can shed more light on this. Also freelanders were dicussed before on AL if i'm not wrong.

Yes Freelanders have been discussed quite a few times. I think the Diesel didn't have the issues of the K series petrol engine. The K series engine is quite good lightweight and delivers good power compared to its weight, but its undoing is the fact that the block and the head is made out of two different types of allow so they expand at slightly different rates causing the head gasket to give up over time. LR did come up with a solution in the form of a new head gasket but it's quite expensive and most people didn't use it for a preventative repair.

The Freelander also has a more practical seat setup and the back seats fold down flat to give a lot of storage space. The suspension issues and the issue with the rear door glass are bits I picked up from the autolanka forum. Have never heard of it from an actual user and I know a few (though all in the UK so different conditions).

Mani, i decided to give you the best of what i got! its so good i am taking some pics and video of  racing adventures this is gonna be really good, you guys are gonna be really Happy!!!!

r6

Cool... can't wait to see them. Which organization do you race with and what's your number?

You are obviously yet to ride in a Range Rover or a Discovery 3 :)

Actually i have driven a Range Rover for 6 months and a rented LR4 (Discovery) :). please dont get me wrong... they are nice SUVs but with faults....

Edited by blkr6

Cool... can't wait to see them. Which organization do you race with and what's your number?

i can see you cant wait. ill release everything with the video. its simple economics supply and demand. lol

Edited by blkr6

Why is the market so low for Land Rover Free Landers? Is this a model known to give a lot of trouble? and how is the availability of spares?

Which model of Freelander are you referring to?

The generation 1 Freelander used to give lots of trouble when they were launched, but most have been rectified during the warranty period.

Spares are available with the agents, previous agents in Union Place and also in the local market. Yes they are relatively expensive to maintain due to the spare parts cost unlike the Japanese or Koreans. As The Don mentioned as with all European vehicles you need to give special attention to those as well. Wayside makabaas jobs will ruin them if they dont know what they are doing.

But a person who owns / owned one of these will always say that they cannot get the same satisfaction of driving them from any other vehicle they buy just like Ripper says.

The newer generation 2 Freelanders have not been giving issues like the Gen1, I know of two that used to travel to Trinco (now Jaffna I think) on a daily basis and they never had any issues.

You cannot blame the market of these vehicles; you take a contemporary BMW E46, they also go for around the same price dont they? Its just that people pay a premium for some vehicles like the Corolla AE110's that brings in the argument of the European vehicles being low in market value.

Which model of Freelander are you referring to?

The generation 1 Freelander used to give lots of trouble when they were launched, but most have been rectified during the warranty period.

Spares are available with the agents, previous agents in Union Place and also in the local market. Yes they are relatively expensive to maintain due to the spare parts cost unlike the Japanese or Koreans. As The Don mentioned as with all European vehicles you need to give special attention to those as well. Wayside makabaas jobs will ruin them if they dont know what they are doing.

But a person who owns / owned one of these will always say that they cannot get the same satisfaction of driving them from any other vehicle they buy just like Ripper says.

The newer generation 2 Freelanders have not been giving issues like the Gen1, I know of two that used to travel to Trinco (now Jaffna I think) on a daily basis and they never had any issues.

You cannot blame the market of these vehicles; you take a contemporary BMW E46, they also go for around the same price dont they? Its just that people pay a premium for some vehicles like the Corolla AE110's that brings in the argument of the European vehicles being low in market value.

exactly... some of the bad raps some cars are getting are truly unjustified.

but on a good note...if you know your stuff picking up a used euro in a good condition is a great value for money deal while the rest of the herd follows mainstream stuff :)

And i think it's retarded to bash and entire LR lineup manufactured in the last decade or so :P

What are these faults and what are you comparing against ?

a 2005 Range Rover Sport, i have driven it at least a month off of every year for the past 6 years. i customized the whole SUV so pretty much i have spend a lot of time with it.

Problems within first 3 years

Whole hydraulic suspension system went bad (friends LR3 shares the same problem)

power steering pump went bad

Engine ran rough i cannot remember it was ignition or fuel related problem

once in a blue moon transmission dont want to shift and it shifts perfectly fine after few minutes (dealer cant find the problem)

lot more miscellaneous problems that dealer fixed if for free because of the extended warranty purchase.

a 2005 Range Rover Sport, i have driven it at least a month off of every year for the past 6 years. i customized the whole SUV so pretty much i have spend a lot of time with it.

Whole hydraulic suspension system went bad (friends LR3 shares the same problem)

once in a blue moon transmission dont want to shift and it shifts perfectly fine after few minutes (dealer cant find the problem)

lot more miscellaneous problems that dealer fixed if for free because of the extended warranty purchase.

weird.... and here i thought RR sports came with air suspension or pneumatic suspension and not with hydraulics. In fact a cousin of mine still owns one in SL and that thing has air suspension.

weird.... and here i thought RR sports came with air suspension or pneumatic suspension and not with hydraulics. In fact a cousin of mine still owns one in SL and that thing has air suspension.

probably it is then air suspension, and it wont change the fact that it failed and needed replacement.

a 2005 Range Rover Sport,  i have driven it at least a month off of every year for the past 6 years. i customized the whole SUV so pretty much i have spend a lot of time with it.

Whole hydraulic  suspension system went bad (friends LR3 shares the same problem)

lot more miscellaneous problems that dealer fixed if for free  because of the extended warranty purchase.

Hmmm, when you say customize, I beleive you mean that you hung nice tassles on the dashboard, put some stickers and changed teh seat covers?