• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rust On Uk Imports

Aravinda_2011

Team,

Anyone who imported vehicles from UK and faced any rust on the underside of cars/cabs. I came to know this situation from a Car dealer when requesting L200 UK version and what he said was they are not importing L200 due to this incidents they faced before.

Anyone who experienced this and like to advice on this topic? Because i am going to purchase a L200 UK version and would like to understand more about this situation. and would like to get a vehicle imported with rust free.

Regards,

Aravinda

Aravinda_2011,

I have imported number of vehicles this is common problem in UK imports, cannot help for that problem,

you have impost undercarriage sprayed with rust proof most cars are protected now days.

Request a car with undercoated for rust protection.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I would put this down to the dealership not having any UK imports and trying to sell their JAP imports.

Although rust would build up if there is any undercarriage damage, doesn't matter if it's UK or JAP import. Given the case, logic would state UK imports would develop rust faster than a JAP import because of the longer time at sea (Uk 4 weeks, JAP 1-2 Weeks). So you should check the under carriage for damage on any vehicle before you buy it. Reconditioned car buying 101!

We have a UK Navara for about a year now, and no complaints of rust!

• Like 1

Aravinda_2011,

I have imported number of vehicles this is common problem in UK imports, cannot help for that problem,

you have impost undercarriage sprayed with rust proof most cars are protected now days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Sylvi, Is there anyway that I can check undercarriage sprayed or not on my self if the vehicle is already arrived?

Aravinda_2011,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Sylvi, Is there anyway that I can check undercarriage sprayed or not on my self if the vehicle is already arrived?

I have seen this rust issue in certain vehicles that were imported at a dealers workshop, they were HILUX HL2's taken off a british motorway project, the rust seen in these vehicles are just barely surface issues, no proper corrosion or holes, however the dealer does the restoration properly with undercoats, and rust proof sealers. AFAIK it depends on the vehicles original owner and use.. Because even if salt was sprayed on the roads a careful owner would care to have it washed and oiled periodically..

Aravinda_2011,

Normally most vehicles are undercoated with rust proofing, this can be inspected, if you go under the vehicle and you will get a tar or jelly like coating, some times there are colored under coating to match the vehicle color. Srlanka there are few undercoat sprayers, you can contact them and get your vehicle done.

If the vehicle has corrosion already then it is useless doing the new under coating. As soon as you get your vehicle out from the port, get to a service station where they have steam wash. Then the undercarriage can be inspected very well.

I did not want to mention the salt on the rods due to you will get discourage with your new impost.

As VVTi is correct in his post.

Most UK imports do and will have this rust issue due to the spraying of salt on the UK roads during the winter months.

I will give you a web page under there is a Srilanka agent for this product. My all previous vehicles were done by that organization.

http://www.tuffi.com.sg

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

In UK pickup trucks are used for the purpose they are built in the first palace like farms, construction sites. In winter they are exposed to salt, they are usually parked outside exposed to the elements which explain rust on a five year old vehicle.

In Japan they are mostly used as recreational vehicles and are cared better than in UK.

These are general conditions and there will always be exceptions, best is to do a thorough inspection prior to the purchase.

Aravinda_2011,

Normally most vehicles are undercoated with rust proofing, this can be inspected, if you go under the vehicle and you will get a tar or jelly like coating, some times there are colored under coating to match the vehicle color. Srlanka there are few undercoat sprayers, you can contact them and get your vehicle done.

If the vehicle has corrosion already then it is useless doing the new under coating. As soon as you get your vehicle out from the port, get to a service station where they have steam wash. Then the undercarriage can be inspected very well.

I did not want to mention the salt on the rods due to you will get discourage with your new impost.

As VVTi is correct in his post.

Most UK imports do and will have this rust issue due to the spraying of salt on the UK roads during the winter months.

I will give you a web page under there is a Srilanka agent for this product. My all previous vehicles were done by that organization.

http://www.tuffi.com.sg

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks your information.

If you can please PM me your email address.I need to contact you.I try to send PM to you but your mail box is full.

Thanks

Edited by thusithasam