• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bad Experience With Sri Lankan Police

Suds72

Hi All.

Last poya day I was driving towards Galle from Colombo to attend a funeral. I was not in a hurry so I drove at an average speed. Right after the Kaluwamodara bridge near Aluthgama I was stopped by 3 police officers. They told me that I have 'crossed the white line'. At that point, the road has 2 lanes per each direction and there is no need to cross the white line even if you overtake. At this time I was not even overtaking any vehicle. I tried to explain it to the cops but they weren't listening. They ended up giving me a ticket for ' wrong overtaking'. I got the impression that they were trying to obtain some quick bucks as one of them suggested that I pay the fine on the spot so I do not have to come all the way from Colombo the other day !. I saw some 3 wheelers stopped by them handing some money. The saddest part of the story is that the traffic OIC of the police station also was there.

Can we do anything about this kind of harassment by the corrupted police officers ?

mate i get this all the time.

i dont even bother to argue with them, i got fined last week for overtaking a 3 wheeler with them saying i didnt have a clear view..................it was a straight empty road apart from the 3 wheeler and me.......how more clear do you want it!?

mate i get this all the time.

i dont even bother to argue with them, i got fined last week for overtaking a 3 wheeler with them saying i didnt have a clear view..................it was a straight empty road apart from the 3 wheeler and me.......how more clear do you want it!?

i have a same kind of experience with them when i overtake a lorry immediately cops stop me and ask for my driving license when i ask what was i done wrong they said i didn't have a clear view of road ahead and back and i told them the road is clear and i have a good visibility of the road and the road is straight and only my vehicle and lorry was going on the road and they said they know i don't have a clear visibility of the road and fine me as for the fault i charge with overtaking on the wrong side of the road and that road doesn't have any white line's.

I already use a car black-box (video camera). It records in 5, 10 or 20min clips depending on my settings. Although there's a built in battery, I always keep it plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket because it then starts and stops recording automatically depending on the ignition switch. It's not high quality video but more than enough to prove that I didn't cut the line or what colour the traffic lights were, etc. If any of you guys want one, please PM me and I can bring one for you since I travel out of the country frequently for conferences etc.

I already use a car black-box (video camera). It records in 5, 10 or 20min clips depending on my settings. Although there's a built in battery, I always keep it plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket because it then starts and stops recording automatically depending on the ignition switch. It's not high quality video but more than enough to prove that I didn't cut the line or what colour the traffic lights were, etc. If any of you guys want one, please PM me and I can bring one for you since I travel out of the country frequently for conferences etc.

I am curious how this works. Does it keep recording over itself every 20 mins? Otherwise, it would probably be too late to hit record...Also, does anyone know the legality of such a device and admission in court? Cos it seems like it would be very useful, and not just for dealing with cops.

funny cos I had some trouble with 3 cops last friday. won't be surprised if they were the same ones

anyway I was driving along galle road when a police car pulled up along side me and the cop driving it asked me to pull over. so I pulled up in front of them but no one got out and came up to me. so I got down and walked up to the passenger side and asked what's wrong. the 2nd cop was like you just used your cell phone while driving. I realised they mistook the bottle of "my power" I had in my hand since I got in for a cell phone so I tried to explain it to them and show them my phone and the calls I made and received. they were like that won't be necessary and told me to give them my license. I told them to get lost cos I haven't committed an offence. at that point rather casually they said "oh then you can go to the courts" and took down my registration number. I lost my temper and I shouted at them to my hearts content and drove off. they were probably looking for quick buck I guess. Sadly at that point I didn't know you can't file a case against someone with just their vehicle registration. If I did I could have certainly given them a beating.

Anyway the police department is fast becoming a joke. I wish the heads of state would do something about this.

• Like 2

Members,

We all discuss police related matters to motorists, no one will go forward and complain to high ups in the police department the harassment what police men do to motorists,

I always complain to DIG of that area by letter or fax if any harassment is done to me by the road police men.

First question they ask from us at a check point is where we are traveling and from where did we start. This is a democratic country. Srilankans and visitors to this country has a valid visa can travel any where in this country without obtaining a permit to travel from law authorities to any destination in this country.

I have answered we are traveling on the road and it is non of their business to find out to where we go. This answer had led me to unwanted problems and inquiries was held by higher authorizes and appropriate action was taken by them. At present police men and most of armed personnel are educated to address the general public correctly. If not they call you with unwanted relation ships.

No one has the back bone to write and make a complain about bribes they take on the streets, for miner offenses. We all do like parking little to words on the pavement so that pedestrians are not inconvenienced for their waking.This mostly happens on newly done up Kollupitiya galle road.

We were all who has interest on galle road facing,was called up to Town Hall to educate by the municipal commissioner, to discus about new developments to take place on Galle road last year, the construction was to be over by end April, according to their plans. But still it is not over.

I request the educated honorary members of this forum to form a Association, to complain to Police heads and to communicate the motorists grievances. What mistakes all motorists do and solve the problems of over speeding by few KMs, crossing the white line as well as double lines, when overtaking on a clear road, Incorrect parking without obstructing road traffic and pedestrians.

I very rarely do mistakes when I drive but if I find I have done a mistake only for the explanation by the police men I give my driving license. If not I tell them to take the number down and send me a summons to appear in courts, I have done this number of times out of Colombo they have never send me the summons to appear in courts.

I hope the members who read this will understand the gravity of forming a association to complain the problems the motorists face on day to day driving.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Hi SeanD, It doesn't keep recording over itself every 20 mins. It records and saves multiple clips and when the memory is full, it overwrites the oldest clips. I use mine with a 4GB SD card, so I have clips from about the past 4 hrs of driving at any given time. However we usually need only the last few minutes of driving. There is no need to hit record or pause manually, I record every bit of driving (day or night). It starts recording when the ignition switch is on and stops a few seconds after the engine is switched off. There is also a motion sensor option which can be used while the vehicle is parked, but I don't use it. I have to admit that the video quality is lower than a 5MP video recorder, but it's more than enough to prove what happened and I don't have to manually start and stop recording.

There was a bill that was passed in 2007 (I think) making all digital media evidence accepted in courts.

• Like 1

Hi SeanD, It doesn't keep recording over itself every 20 mins. It records and saves multiple clips and when the memory is full, it overwrites the oldest clips. I use mine with a 4GB SD card, so I have clips from about the past 4 hrs of driving at any given time. However we usually need only the last few minutes of driving. There is no need to hit record or pause manually, I record every bit of driving (day or night). It starts recording when the ignition switch is on and stops a few seconds after the engine is switched off. There is also a motion sensor option which can be used while the vehicle is parked, but I don't use it. I have to admit that the video quality is lower than a 5MP video recorder, but it's more than enough to prove what happened and I don't have to manually start and stop recording.

There was a bill that was passed in 2007 (I think) making all digital media evidence accepted in courts.

Hi mate, did you have any chance to show your proof video to a Cop when they stop you, if so how was their react, did they accept it.

Using hand phone while driving is illegal. But is it illegal too if we use handsfree? Can a cop point out it is violating the law and fine us?

'Nirosha',

I can remember reading news article police had published(Q&A) some time back, you cannot use a hand phone and drive with one hand on the steering wheel, but can use a hands free kit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi mate, did you have any chance to show your proof video to a Cop when they stop you, if so how was their react, did they accept it.

I've been using it only for about a month. So far no incidents. Judging by the positive response from cops to mobile phone photos after accidents, I believe they'd be really happy to see footage of the incident moments prior, during and after it occurred.