• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bad Experience With Sri Lankan Police

Suds72

i got fined again :(

overtaking on a crossing on my bike.....i overtook a STATIONARY bus that had stopped to let someone out not for someone to cross as there was no one there!!!

i got fined again :(

overtaking on a crossing on my bike.....i overtook a STATIONARY bus that had stopped to let someone out not for someone to cross as there was no one there!!!

'fonfe',

Did you cross the yellow cross Sig sag center line on the crossing, or did you go on top of that line it is a offense according to police officers on the road.

I was stopped and send off, as I know some high officers on the department by contacting one of them, the two constables had to drop from giving a charge sheet.

I never give my driving license to a constable i firmly hold same, show to their face so that the can read same.

Unless they give me the charge sheet with all written correctly. AS some officers give a charge sheet which cannot be contested in court of law. I read the charge sheet before I accept it.

Police cannot by force take the license as it is like your Identity card.

I may be correct or not; if it is so please correct me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi, Im not your age to advice you but im sure you are not being copped many times.Possibilities for that could be you being a good driver. But the day you meet a bad cop on duty after violating rules and you do your Houdini trick of showing your DL and holding it, and play that smart drama ,you will surely find yourself getting humiliated by a wanna be a tough cop fella and wasting money making calls to high ranking cops and wasting their time.Call your self luck if you are being allowed to walk away with just a piece of paper given.

Certainly this sounds a hypothetical scenario but quite possible in SL-the land like no other.A simple advice to a fellow member.Never play funny or be unrealistically smart infront of cops after violating rules. Be nice to them surely they will pardon you even without a bribe.

MINIACE

Dear Sylvi, Im not your age to advice you but im sure you are not being copped many times.Possibilities for that could be you being a good driver. But the day you meet a bad cop on duty after violating rules and you do your Houdini trick of showing your DL and holding it, and play that smart drama ,you will surely find yourself getting humiliated by a wanna be a tough cop fella and wasting money making calls to high ranking cops and wasting their time.Call your self luck if you are being allowed to walk away with just a piece of paper given.

Certainly this sounds a hypothetical scenario but quite possible in SL-the land like no other.A simple advice to a fellow member.Never play funny or be unrealistically smart infront of cops after violating rules. Be nice to them surely they will pardon you even without a bribe.

MINIACE

Miniace,

All police men today are not taken to the department not like good old days, they are new recruits the advise to them when they get out to find at least ten charges against drivers.

That is one reason they are taking palm oil from drivers. If department check the police men pockets after few hours on the road department can find number of them having few thousand rupees in their pockets.

All outstation police men want us to get down and come to their footsteps to answer their questions. This is a common practice on Galle to Hambanthota main road.

Does any other developed country have this system? Police men come to your vehicle and request the necessary documents.

1st question they request from the driver from where did you start and where do you go. This is a Democratic country no one can question the destination we go.

I am a frequent traveler to down south thanks to the new E01. I do go to Hambanthota and come back on the same day.

Most Police men do not know how the word POLICE is formed. Once on a public forum attended by police top personal. I related an incident a police officer on road near Bumbalapitiya junction bus driver was slapped by the officer on main road. Do police can do that there was no answer from the gathering of top police officers at that moment.

This is Srilanka lot of favoritism is on the road to, we appointed Parliamentarians. You your self can notice when you drive on the road.

I may be correct or wrong on above. Your comments are welcome.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

These cops are the worst, they should all burn in hell along with some of these t wheeler drivers.

Carbon B4,

You are perfectly correct. Police men should be punished like in some countries in front of public.

I am not sporting Three wheeler drivers, they try to make quick money doing all offenses on the road.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I may be correct or wrong on above. Your comments are welcome.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Indeed you may be correct or wrong. Personally I can't tell because I can't understand most of what you have said due to atrocious spelling and grammar. And I have neither the time nor the inclination to try and decipher this mumbo-jumbo.

Indeed you may be correct or wrong. Personally I can't tell because I can't understand most of what you have said due to atrocious spelling and grammar. And I have neither the time nor the inclination to try and decipher this mumbo-jumbo.

'Pericles',

OK Thank You for your reply.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Wait, do we ever have "positive" experiences with the SL police? haha

The last time I visited (for my wedding), I couldn't find my SL driver's license. Therefore, I did the next thing I could, I went to the RMV and asked what I could do and they told me to go to the RMV in Paliyagoda (I think) and get a temporary permit for a visiting foreigner. So I went there, showed my US license and passport and got a letter with the embossed seal and the signature of the commissioner/etc. stating I was authorized to drive in SL for 30 days with my foreign license. I had to personally take it to him too.

After my homecoming, and after goofing around at the hotel, we decided to go to Pilawoos and then drop off my cousin at home. I come around the Liberty Plaza round-about and am obviously stopped for no reason (was driving perfectly sane due to reasons like this). Although in the US we stay in the car with our hands on the wheel for the safety of ourselves (and the officer ofcourse), I was asked to get off and walk up to the cops with my documents. A friend had loaned me his Audi A6 at the time; this probably had something to do with this, but I'm hoping not.

I walk up to the two cops with my US license/passport (in my pocket; 'cos I didn't want to flaunt it for obvious reasons) and holding the temporary driving permit I got a few days ago. As I handed them the document, they literally said "What is this?" ... I said "huh? you don't know?" and then had to explain what the hell the piece of paper they were holding was. I stated that I was asked to get it from Paliyagoda by the RMV in Borella and that it has the commissioner's seal and signature; and it was a genuine government printed (not a printout or photocopy) document that they were issuing to others just like me; there were some other guys from the USA there on that day too. Then I finally had to pull out my US passport and drivers license to prove that I did infact have a license elsewhere in the world. They asked if it was an international license and I said "NO".

They wanted a few minutes to scratch their head so I went back to the car and was talking to my bro/wife/friends about it and they were like "just bribe them already!" and I was like "are you crazy? I haven't done anything wrong and I can't help it if they don't know the law in their own jurisdiction. I'll stand here all night and prove they're wrong". At this point a Toyota Starlet Turbo (Glanza?) comes screaming around the round-about with an obviously drunk (or just over excited over NFS) driver in it and almost hits the cop car and stops. A third cop stands in front of it while the two others run off with all my documents to see what happened. I hear some talking/etc. and then they just let him go and concentrate on me again, WTF?

They come walking back up to me and I can hear them whispering saying that it does "look" genuine with the seal and "commissioner mahaththaya's" signature etc. and then ask me why I didn't go to the Automobile Association and get a permit from there. I stated that the RMV had already given me the 1st option of a legal document from the government rather than my 2nd option of the AA so I didn't think any more about it. Then they say the right thing to do would have been to go to the AA and how they've never seen this kind of document and doubt its authenticity/etc. and I was seriously getting annoyed right now. I don't remember quite what I said but it was along the lines of "I don't care what you say, this is a valid document and you need to get some education in the way the legal system works in the country that you enforce the law" ... through this I can hear people from my car yelling in Malay "just bribe the guys already!" ... lol ... finally, they knew I wasn't trying to pull a fast one with them and had to take my word for it or risk having to stand there all night or even take a trip to the police station/RMV the next day where it would've been proven that they are idiots ... and they handed me my documents and said "have a nice evening and drive safe" ... haha

More stories, but I'll save them for later!

Edited by MeanGreenZ28
  • Like 1