• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Heat Indicator

abiman

Hello all,

When I traveled on E01 today I noticed that my car's (Toyota CE110 1997 Auto) engine heat indicator stayed at about 50% of usual value for full 80km I traveled. (about at 25% of full scale, usually it reach about 50%)

However when I hit high-level road, within 1min it reached usual 50% of full scale value.

is this usual? or is there something wrong with car?

thanks in advance.

Mine (CE110 96 manual) did the same. It was just above 25% mark for the 14km I traveled.

Anyway the needle stays around 25% mark every time when doing steady 70+ speeds. It only reaches the 50% when driving in city or climbing hills.

It's due to the wind blowing over the engine I guess. And as I remember in our van the needle is always at 50% whether doing steady speeds or not. May be coz the engine does not get wind blowing over it like in a car.

I second Anjula78. There is usually an electro mechanical mechanism in all cars to regulate the engine temperature and hold it at optimum operating temperature. So once the car reaches that (which on most cars is around halfway up the scales) it should usually stay there. So when you have a scenario like the one you mentioned, I'll personally get the cooling system (electronics, thermostat, sensors, thermostatic valve) tested and get it resolved. While the above scenario probably won't cause any damage to the engine it can affect efficiency.

• Like 1

My AE110 does the same in cold early mornings 4Am to 5AM when I travel around 80kmh continuously. In one December morning it almost came to 10% of the scale. A little slowdown brings it back very fast. This is due to the cold wind blowing to the radiator and bring in down the coolant temp.

The AE110s usually shows the dip in temp when traveled fast continuously in cold weather.

In some cars the AC condenser sits in front and block the Air flowing directly to the radiator. In such vehicles you may not notice this significantly.

Normally about 15 minutes after start the engine the temperature gage of the toyota and nissan vehicles should come to the middle. (50% = Engine running temperature) if not come to the middle and it below the 50% the thermostat valve may have removed. so if below 50% you have to check about the thermostat vale.

I second Anjula78. There is usually an electro mechanical mechanism in all cars to regulate the engine temperature and hold it at optimum operating temperature. So once the car reaches that (which on most cars is around halfway up the scales) it should usually stay there. So when you have a scenario like the one you mentioned, I'll personally get the cooling system (electronics, thermostat, sensors, thermostatic valve) tested and get it resolved. While the above scenario probably won't cause any damage to the engine it can affect efficiency.

Hi Don,

I have a corolla EE102 and same thing happened to my car. it did not come to the optimum temp when going on long trip. So initially checked the thermostat valve and it seems to be stuck open. So I had replaced it with a genuine one. Now the engine temp comes to optimum level ( middle of the gauge ) with in the first 1KM. So this is why I suspect weather the thermostat valve is bad. There would be many other reasons behind this, but checking the thermostat valve is bit easier as a 5-10 minutes DIY job

Thanks.

Oops.. this seems to be by 100th post :banana_hitit:

Edited by anjulau78

Thank you all.

I literally forced the third mechanic I went to, to replace the thermostat and voila. The temp gauge never moves from the 50% position on my CE110. Not matter how cold the outside is.

FYI. Here's why I had to go to 3 places to get it done.

Just like most people I thought the temp gauge dipping when driving constantly was normal. But after seeing replies on this thread, I was convinced that my thermostat is bad.

Then I went to my regular mechanic and told him that my eng temp goes down when it is cold and the bugger laughed and told that it is normal and it is good for the engine. Then I told him that the fuel economy goes down when eng is cold and he was like "what ? it is a diesel " and laughed again.

Then I went to the place near the Kirulapana cargills and the idiot there told me that countries like ours does not need thermostats and most people remove them. Because when it;s stuck it overheats the engine. Also it never cools the engine too much if we removed the valve altogether.

Being 100% sure of the issue, I bought a genuine toyota thermostat (2550/=) and went to the injector cleaning place in Navinna. As they repair hundreds of 2C engines I thought that they'll of help.

They too told that it is normal. But I told guy to check if the valve has not been removed by the prev. owner and asked him to put my newly bought thermostat. Finally he agreed removed the old thermostat and it looked fine. Not stuck open as I thought. But anyway I replaced it with my new thermostat and now the temp is always at the 50% mark and the car feels great, There;s a noticeable difference in pulling power when the engine is at optimum temp.

I am wondering when we can see real mechanics who has learnt to troubleshoot something not being stupid idiots who think that they know eveything.

Thank you all. I literally forced the third mechanic I went to, to replace the thermostat and voila. The temp gauge never moves from the 50% position on my CE110. Not matter how cold the outside is. FYI. Here's why I had to go to 3 places to get it done. Just like most people I thought the temp gauge dipping when driving constantly was normal. But after seeing replies on this thread, I was convinced that my thermostat is bad. Then I went to my regular mechanic and told him that my eng temp goes down when it is cold and the bugger laughed and told that it is normal and it is good for the engine. Then I told him that the fuel economy goes down when eng is cold and he was like "what ? it is a diesel " and laughed again. Then I went to the place near the Kirulapana cargills and the idiot there told me that countries like ours does not need thermostats and most people remove them. Because when it;s stuck it overheats the engine. Also it never cools the engine too much if we removed the valve altogether. Being 100% sure of the issue, I bought a genuine toyota thermostat (2550/=) and went to the injector cleaning place in Navinna. As they repair hundreds of 2C engines I thought that they'll of help. They too told that it is normal. But I told guy to check if the valve has not been removed by the prev. owner and asked him to put my newly bought thermostat. Finally he agreed removed the old thermostat and it looked fine. Not stuck open as I thought. But anyway I replaced it with my new thermostat and now the temp is always at the 50% mark and the car feels great, There;s a noticeable difference in pulling power when the engine is at optimum temp. I am wondering when we can see real mechanics who has learnt to troubleshoot something not being stupid idiots who think that they know eveything.

HI,

Where did you bought this thermostat?

How long it took to install it?

thanks

HI,

Where did you bought this thermostat?

How long it took to install it?

thanks

Supreme Motor house gangodawila. Close to wijerama junction on the left side going to nugegoda (nice looking shop).

Installation of the valve is about 20 mins but you need to drain the coolent before removing the valve and the guy waited for the engine to cool down coz it is a bit hard to reach,

So altogether it took like 1 hr 15mins.

Also be sure to buy the rubber seal of the thermostat too. I forgot so they used the old one with some kind of glue (it was a bit damaged but not broken). But toyota recommends to replace the seal with the thermostat.

Thank you all.

I literally forced the third mechanic I went to, to replace the thermostat and voila. The temp gauge never moves from the 50% position on my CE110. Not matter how cold the outside is.

FYI. Here's why I had to go to 3 places to get it done.

Just like most people I thought the temp gauge dipping when driving constantly was normal. But after seeing replies on this thread, I was convinced that my thermostat is bad.

Then I went to my regular mechanic and told him that my eng temp goes down when it is cold and the bugger laughed and told that it is normal and it is good for the engine. Then I told him that the fuel economy goes down when eng is cold and he was like "what ? it is a diesel " and laughed again.

Then I went to the place near the Kirulapana cargills and the idiot there told me that countries like ours does not need thermostats and most people remove them. Because when it;s stuck it overheats the engine. Also it never cools the engine too much if we removed the valve altogether.

Being 100% sure of the issue, I bought a genuine toyota thermostat (2550/=) and went to the injector cleaning place in Navinna. As they repair hundreds of 2C engines I thought that they'll of help.

They too told that it is normal. But I told guy to check if the valve has not been removed by the prev. owner and asked him to put my newly bought thermostat. Finally he agreed removed the old thermostat and it looked fine. Not stuck open as I thought. But anyway I replaced it with my new thermostat and now the temp is always at the 50% mark and the car feels great, There;s a noticeable difference in pulling power when the engine is at optimum temp.

I am wondering when we can see real mechanics who has learnt to troubleshoot something not being stupid idiots who think that they know eveything.

Amila G, thanks for posting this, because it reminds us how useful this forum can really be. I have come across many dark practices over time and I find it is because many of our technicians have never had proper theoretical training, and depend on their experience to resolve issues. But fundamentally every engine has an optimum operating temperature and there is a system in place to help the engine get up to it as quickly as possible and then keep it there.

I discovered this many years ago when my father bought a car with a radiator fan always on. As a kid I read an article in a local motor magazine and somehow figured out that they fail safe circuit had been activated and the issue was with the relay (most mechanics claimed it was the thermostat). Replaced the relay and it worked fine!

My AE110 does the same in cold early mornings 4Am to 5AM when I travel around 80kmh continuously. In one December morning it almost came to 10% of the scale. A little slowdown brings it back very fast. This is due to the cold wind blowing to the radiator and bring in down the coolant temp.

The AE110s usually shows the dip in temp when traveled fast continuously in cold weather.

In some cars the AC condenser sits in front and block the Air flowing directly to the radiator. In such vehicles you may not notice this significantly.

If the temp is so low on a cold day in Sri Lanka, imagine how it would be in winter.