• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing An Lcd Tv

shanX

Planing to get a 40" Led tv thru a friend from abroad. It would cost $500-600ish, and the invoice would show the exact price. So am wondering how much tax i would end up paying. Shipping option would be freight. Also considering the possibility of hand carrying the tv, if it would help avoid being taxed a lot. Guys, anyone got any idea about the tax and regulations? Has anyone done this?

Members,

For last few years I have not used any TV sets.

What I do is buy a biggest monitor available for computers and use this with a combo box.

I use POTV on that combo box has socked for fixing POTV connection too.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Where are you planning on getting yours? I got a Phillips 40" LED TV in s'pore for SGD899 some months back. This included some freebees like a free Phillips DVD player and a unbranded digicam n HDMI cable. But you can get a 40"LED for about SDG600 now. I went for Phillips cos they were the only ones giving an international warranty. It was hand carried to SL and there weren't any taxes involved as it was just one unit and for personal use. But at 21kg it pretty much took up a lot of baggage allowance.

Not sure about the formalities if importing but, if you’re hand carrying tell the customs it’s a used one & for your personnel use. You’ll get away with paying nothing or whatever tax they want will deduct from your duty free allowance.

Needless to say, you’ll need some indication on the cartoon to prove it’s not a brand new.

ShanX,

Unless your bringing a 55' 3D smart TV or something like that it's not worth it(because it's really expensive here).You can purchase the same for a very similar price with warranty right here in Sri Lanka,because this TV prices are slashing since lot of models and new technology is coming out every week.LCD out of the market now.I bought myself a 40' LED last month for 99k.I'm sure now it's even cheap.Just check it out before you bring one down and go through the hassle of clearing and all.check the normal electrical shops also not only the agents cz they keep huge margins.Trust i was helpful!

Cheers!

Where are you planning on getting yours? I got a Phillips 40" LED TV in s'pore for SGD899 some months back. This included some freebees like a free Phillips DVD player and a unbranded digicam n HDMI cable. But you can get a 40"LED for about SDG600 now. I went for Phillips cos they were the only ones giving an international warranty. It was hand carried to SL and there weren't any taxes involved as it was just one unit and for personal use. But at 21kg it pretty much took up a lot of baggage allowance.

What was your duty free allowance at the time ?

US, probably from an online store, there are good offers going these days. Ohh, I checked few LGs and a Toshiba (40", 1080p, 120hz), they were going around $450-500. So a 40" LCD could be hand carried? I was thiking to go for a 37". And btw, you sure there are 40" proper brand ones for SGD600?

Not sure about the formalities if importing but, if you’re hand carrying tell the customs it’s a used one & for your personnel use. You’ll get away with paying nothing or whatever tax they want will deduct from your duty free allowance.

Needless to say, you’ll need some indication on the cartoon to prove it’s not a brand new.

What if it's a brand new? What is the duty free allowance? Isn't there something like a $600 allowance?

ShanX,

Unless your bringing a 55' 3D smart TV or something like that it's not worth it(because it's really expensive here).You can purchase the same for a very similar price with warranty right here in Sri Lanka,because this TV prices are slashing since lot of models and new technology is coming out every week.LCD out of the market now.I bought myself a 40' LED last month for 99k.I'm sure now it's even cheap.Just check it out before you bring one down and go through the hassle of clearing and all.check the normal electrical shops also not only the agents cz they keep huge margins.Trust i was helpful!

Cheers!

Ya, I found a Toshiba 40" 3D tv for $600, am considering that too. Yeah, I get it, all the hassle and all. So that's why am researching a bit.

Edited by shanX

What if it's a brand new? What is the duty free allowance? Isn't there something like a $600 allowance?

Ya, I found a Toshiba 40" 3D tv for $600, am considering that too. Yeah, I get it, all the hassle and all. So that's why am researching a bit.

from what i know its duty free upto 42"

Anything below 42" could be cleared within your duty free allowance (if you are entitled)

No point in 3D at the moment you dont have enough material to watch.

You have to be carefull if you are carring it air cargo for potntial damage.

US, probably from an online store, there are good offers going these days. Ohh, I checked few LGs and a Toshiba (40", 1080p, 120hz), they were going around $450-500. So a 40" LCD could be hand carried? I was thiking to go for a 37". And btw, you sure there are 40" proper brand ones for SGD600?

yep, as soon as the smart TVs and 3D TVs came in normal LED prices went down like crazy. I've seen brands like LG, Samsung selling at department store sales. If you goto the IT fairs you get older models clearing for dirt cheap. But they arent on the shelf for long either.

yep, as soon as the smart TVs and 3D TVs came in normal LED prices went down like crazy. I've seen brands like LG, Samsung selling at department store sales. If you goto the IT fairs you get older models clearing for dirt cheap. But they arent on the shelf for long either.

Ya there were some crazy deals over thanksgiving weekend. Loads of people I know got some good stuff. But not as good as the ones people get from camping outside the store :)

Edited by Gyiman

Will check a bit around here. I thought like 32" ones still go for 50k something here..

Anything below 42" could be cleared within your duty free allowance (if you are entitled)

No point in 3D at the moment you dont have enough material to watch.

You have to be carefull if you are carring it air cargo for potntial damage.

No actually, it's a good deal, normally 3D tvs go for $800+ in US, and this specific one has other new features too. So you mean even new ones would be allowed if it's under my duty free allowance? But then again, how do I find out how much is my duty free allowance is?

Guys remember the broadcasting frequencies in different countries are slightly different. For example you can't watch terrestrial TV in SL using European PAL TVs as you get the picture but not the sound as the encoding is slightly different. I think the US is predominantly NTSC. Also goods that are imported via agents to Sri Lanka are tropicalised to cope with the extra dust and heat. So wherever possible buy things like TVs and white goods at the point of use.

Passenger's Baggage Exemptions-Sri Lankans/Residents

The baggage of a passenger who is ordinary resident in Sri Lanka.

Alcoholic Liquor not exceeding two and a half litres, wine not exceeding two litres and perfumed spirits not exceeding quarter litre.

The baggage for the purpose of exemption from Customs duty (audit)

Category A- US$ 125/-, Where the period of stay abroad of any such person is less than 90 days. Purchases from Sri Lanka duty free shop on arrival, if no goods are brought from abroad, up to US $ 187.5.

Category B- US$ 500/-, Where the period of stay abroad of any such person is more than 90 days but less than 365 days. Purchases from Sri Lanka duty free shop on arrival, if no goods are brought from abroad, up to US $ 625

Category C- US$ 1000/-, Where the period of stay abroad of any such person is more than 365 days. Purchases from Sri Lanka duty free shop on arrival, if no goods are brought from abroad, up to US $ 1750.

The baggage for the purpose of exemption from Customs duty and other levies(minor)

Category D(i)- US$ 87.50, Where the period of stay abroad of any such person is less than 90 days. Purchases from Sri Lanka duty free shop on arrival, if no goods are brought from abroad, up to US $ 125.

Category D(ii)- US$ 187.50, Where the period of stay abroad of any such person is more than 90 days.

Note:Only selected goods in certain quantities are permitted under the above mentioned Baggage Allowance. Please see the List of Permissible Articles (102KB) for details.

Personal Experiance:

I bought a 46" LCD from UK last year before duty was reduced

Cost: GBP 600 + Shipping GBP 30 (Rs. 113,400/-)

As the TV was over the permissible limit of 42" I was charged duty Rs. 25,000/-, I pesonnaly went to clear the goods, TV came with some other personal stuff.

If it was below 42" I would have got it cleared within our duty free allowance. (my self & wife)

Generally customs are not very strict if the stuff is for your personal use and that they are convinced that you are not bring it for resale.

New price of equivalent model at that time was over Rs. 275,000/-, total saving over Rs. 136,000/-

Guys remember the broadcasting frequencies in different countries are slightly different. For example you can't watch terrestrial TV in SL using European PAL TVs as you get the picture but not the sound as the encoding is slightly different. I think the US is predominantly NTSC. Also goods that are imported via agents to Sri Lanka are tropicalised to cope with the extra dust and heat. So wherever possible buy things like TVs and white goods at the point of use.

Yup, US ones are NTSC and some supportboth

Category A- US$ 125/-, Where the period of stay abroad of any such person is less than 90 days. Purchases from Sri Lanka duty free shop on arrival, if no goods are brought from abroad, up to US $ 187.5.

This is the category... Anyways thanks for that post :)

So the tv you got, was it a new one? And what service did you use for shipping?