• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

No Crank No Start !!!

FreakSL

Question

Hey Guys

yesterday Evening i tried leaving the office and started the car and it doesn't made any noise , nothing happened , i put the gear into 4th and gave a little push and tried starting and it worked , then i switched off and on for couple of time and it worked ,

but again today in the morning i tried to start the car but the same thing happened , no crank no star, i asked one of the mechanics to look at it while i was at work. he told me wire from the starter motor was loose so he fixed it , i was wondering if it is a loose connection, is there a permanent way that I can fix this or do I need to service the motor ?

Also i felt some jerking on 2nd and 3rd gear low speed while driving yesterday ,

i have a proton Savvy manual

5 answers to this question

Hey Guys

yesterday Evening i tried leaving the office and started the car and it doesn't made any noise , nothing happened , i put the gear into 4th and gave a little push and tried starting and it worked , then i switched off and on for couple of time and it worked ,

but again today in the morning i tried to start the car but the same thing happened , no crank no star, i asked one of the mechanics to look at it while i was at work. he told me wire from the starter motor was loose so he fixed it , i was wondering if it is a loose connection, is there a permanent way that I can fix this or do I need to service the motor ?

Also i felt some jerking on 2nd and 3rd gear low speed while driving yesterday ,

Sounds like the problem is fixed. These things unfortunately happen so there is nothing you can do to avoid it apart from driving safely, keeping your car serviced and avoiding deep potholes. The second issue is probably unrelated to the first issue.

• Like 1

Hey Guys

If the starter motor battery supply lead wire is loose this problem can happen.

If the starter motor is working OK you need not do a service.

As the A/L member,The Don said, the second issue is probably unrelated to the first issue.

Starter motor When it is necessary you can find a good auto electrical repair place and get the service done.

Most places do unnecessary changing of brushes and two end bearing bushes. Most new starter motors need a cleaning and oiling of end bushes and the Bendix drive wheel, which connects the fly wheel rim gear, when you operate the starter motor.

Brushes can run till they are 70%. wasted. Only if there is oval on the Armature Commutator, you have to machine the armature commutator on a lathe, change correct grade of brushes too.

Bushes when you remove the starter motor you can notice if the Armature is not touching the field coil shoes, then you can leave them for another 12 months.

Never use machined brass bushes, because there is no way to lubricate them. Allways buy the oil impregnated bushes and use them on both ends of the motor.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Thanks so much for the advise guys , yes Im going to service the motor thats anyways good ,

i was wonder why the jerking thing is , you know while i was going through proton forums I found out there is a way of soft rest the ECU,

step by step is like this may be the proton savvy users can use this ,

1. put the key into the switch and out it to the on position

2.press accelarator pedal to the floor and stay for 10 seconds

3. put the key to the off postition, while you ar epressing the accelarator pedal to the floor

5. after you put the key into off postion keep the leg out of the pedal and start the car

after i did above the jerking stoped

any Idea ?

Thanks so much for the advise guys , yes Im going to service the motor thats anyways good ,

i was wonder why the jerking thing is , you know while i was going through proton forums I found out there is a way of soft rest the ECU,

step by step is like this may be the proton savvy users can use this ,

1. put the key into the switch and out it to the on position

2.press accelarator pedal to the floor and stay for 10 seconds

3. put the key to the off postition, while you ar epressing the accelarator pedal to the floor

5. after you put the key into off postion keep the leg out of the pedal and start the car

after i did above the jerking stoped

any Idea ?

Most modern cars heave ECU's which can learn, or automatically adjust themselves in accordance with readings from sensors to maintain the car running in optimum efficiency. From time to time this learning process goes a bit astray (its sophisticated but the designers can't take into consideration all eventualities) and thus needs to reset and re allowed to learn. Your car was probably running a little lean before.

Most modern cars heave ECU's which can learn, or automatically adjust themselves in accordance with readings from sensors to maintain the car running in optimum efficiency. From time to time this learning process goes a bit astray (its sophisticated but the designers can't take into consideration all eventualities) and thus needs to reset and re allowed to learn. Your car was probably running a little lean before.

is there anyway that I stop this or any solution for the , lets say i drive slowly during the weekdays to office and back, due to traffic but weekedns if drive bit fast sometime it starts jerking on low speeds ,

anything I can do to stop this problem ? or do I have to completely reset the ECU