• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Silicone Bad For Windscreens??

LancerL

A mechanic told me that the normal white silicon is bad for windscreen leaks, hence it can make rust on places where it applies, like windscreen area in the long run.

Is it true?

If true, what's the best alternative and how much it will cost?

Also is front windscreen gaps are the only place where water can leak under dashboard of a car?

Ideas please!!!

Regards,

LancerL

A mechanic told me that the normal white silicon is bad for windscreen leaks, hence it can make rust on places where it applies, like windscreen area in the long run.

Is it true?

Also is front windscreen gaps are the only place where water can leak under dashboard of a car?

Ideas please!!!

Regards,

LancerL

Yes, and this is what our windscreen chaps don't understand. The area around the windscreen under the beading (I am talking about windscreens which are stuck on not attached via beadings so the beading is purely there for decorative purposes) is a channel for water to drain out. If you block this area with silicone to attach the beadings or to stop a leak, you can potentially obstruct this drainage causing water retention and in the end rust. This has happened a number of times to cars we've owned and it seems the windscreen guys are not willing to listen at all. Windscreen should be neatly stuck on by special windscreen glue to the body and nothing else and the area should be suitably prepared cleaned and primer applied before this is done.

If water is leaking in, you should first check if its coming from the windscreen or another rust hole that has developed, but whatever is the reason the chances are there is rust involved, so what will probably need to happen is for the rust to be treated and repaired (this might require the windscreen to be removed) and then the windscreen re attached properly.

Only get windscreen work done by reputed places like Samarasinghe windscreen house.

Edited by The Don
  • Like 1

Is it true?

Ideas please!!!

Regards,

LancerL

LancerL,

The Don had given you correct advice follow his advice.

To stop water leaks you can use what is leftover from W/S glass paste like 3M tape what is used for fitting pasted W/S glasses.

Any W/S fitting place like Samarasinghe will give you. Because they have enough leftovers or you can buy a full tube which will cost any thing over RS: 600.00.

Never use acid based silicon what is available in the market.

That is also a very thin coat not a thick coat black tape 3M or what is on the tube.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

windscreen chaps use regular silicone glue...200bucks or so for tube. gives out an ammonia smell as it dries out and this is highly corrosive. It can also damaged other rubber bits if i'm not wrong.

was making some sub boxes at home used silicone to seal the inner seams. the ammonia smell took a good 2 days to wear out. Im keeping it open for another few day before dropping the subs in :)

as for color. there are different types. One type completely dries out maintaining some level of flexibility while the other stays a lot more gooey. I have seen the gooey type only in black. the one that hardens up comes in clear and in white. The black one, did not have a harsh ammonia smell if my memory serves me right

The Don has mentioned of a " special glue " I think this maybe different from the Silicone glue used for fish tanks although some windscreen guys may use it.

I need to fix up a beading ( on the inside of the door ) , tried the black gasket sealer but it comes off after sometime. I need something that is black + has a rubber base so it will hold well to the existing rubber beading.

as for color. there are different types. One type completely dries out maintaining some level of flexibility while the other stays a lot more gooey. I have seen the gooey type only in black. the one that hardens up comes in clear and in white. The black one, did not have a harsh ammonia smell if my memory serves me right

machan, any idea about from where I can buy these and the price?

machan, any idea about from where I can buy these and the price?

Asian Hardware in panchi/armor street had them for 200 or 250 bucks a pop.

this is the one that is white in color once it dries up. I bought it cos it was going inside a sub box and will never be seen :)

The Don has mentioned of a " special glue " I think this maybe different from the Silicone glue used for fish tanks although some windscreen guys may use it.

I need to fix up a beading ( on the inside of the door ) , tried the black gasket sealer but it comes off after sometime. I need something that is black + has a rubber base so it will hold well to the existing rubber beading.

Hi Carbon B4, the glue I mentioned is not Silicone at all but more a clay like substance used to bond windscreens to the body. If used properly you don't need to use any silicone at all, and I once had a perfect job done on my car by Samarasinghe, with the channels perfectly clear. The main problem is that the clips attaching the decorative beadings crumble over time and then our chaps use silicone to stick it on and that's when the problem starts!

Is this " special windscreen glue " black in color ?

'CARBON B4',

Yes it is black in color.

You will find all glues and W/S pasting gums on the following 3m website.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtmxf6nxMEEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=TDS_08695_08564.pdf

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear All,

I got it fixed today..

That Silicone is a back color one with "None Acetic" (Acetic might cause rust!) I brought it from a place called Wimal Motors at Morathuwa.

A single big tube cost me Rs. 450/- and I got two for my both front and rear windscreens.

Thanks,

LancerL

• 7 months later...

can i have location and address for" fitting place like Samarasinghe""

'Nimz77',

You can contact "Samarasinge" by telephone. Numbers are, 0777 345 753 Mr. Sudeep Samarasinghe.

General numbers are, 2438364,2458403,2435236.

They have number of fitting Branchers Contact and request Mr. Sudeep. He will Help you.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.