• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Viva Elite First Service

IndikaA

Question

Hello

I 'm running Viva elite (1000cc- auto) car. Tomorrow is my first service for it. The problem is that I'm not that much familiar with the cars n stuff. I don't know which engine oil is the best for it. Also can any one have the experience with Unimo services ? How much will be the total cost for it ? Any advice would be much appreciated .

Thanks

11 answers to this question

since the agents are doing the service, i doubt you have anything to worry about. Usually agents have tie-ups with oil companies and will be using the correct oil for the car from that brand.

As for cost, you can always call them up and check.

For the Oil (+ filter) and etc it was less than Rs. 3000/= for the first service. Cant remember correctly. Free labour as Cyrax said. Better you call the agents for exact charges. Don't worry about oil. It was Lockheed or Havoline if I remember correctly. Better if you stick to the car when service is done. Also lot of things can learn from service persons.

Thank you all for the replies. One more question they ask me to maintain a low speed until the first service. I did maintain like 50-60 Kmph (most of the time 40 Kmph) and never exceeded the 3000rpm. Why do I have to maintain such a speed ? Is 50-60 Kmph okay for the engine ?

Thanks

Edited by IndikaA

Thank you all for the replies. One more question they ask me to maintain a low speed until the first service. I did maintain like 50-60 Kmph (most of the time 40 Kmph) and never exceeded the 3000rpm. Why do I have to maintain such a speed ? Is 50-60 Kmph okay for the engine ?

Thanks

Yes, the key is not to rev the engine too hard until the engine reaches about 10,000km. This is because the internal components are still bedding in to their enclosures and there are slight imperfections and natural wear on the engine slowly ensures that everything gets worn down to the right levels for optimum operation. It is like doors and windows in a new house being a bit tight to open early on and after a little while it becomes quite easy and comfortable. This process takes a bit of time hence why people are advised not to rev it past say 3000 as the engine could seize up!

Yes, the key is not to rev the engine too hard until the engine reaches about 10,000km. This is because the internal components are still bedding in to their enclosures and there are slight imperfections and natural wear on the engine slowly ensures that everything gets worn down to the right levels for optimum operation. It is like doors and windows in a new house being a bit tight to open early on and after a little while it becomes quite easy and comfortable. This process takes a bit of time hence why people are advised not to rev it past say 3000 as the engine could seize up!

'The Don',

I agree to your post to a certain extend. As far as I know only old engines manufactures requested for a running in period.

Present engines has bearing clearances, Improved Engine oils. I don't think it is necessary to do any running in period.

It is better if you do first 500 Km under 40 KMS. Still when you pick up on gears or go on a up hill the engine will run at high RPM.

I have had experience very high capacity Industrial Diesel engines (Generators) New ones, I do 100% load test before hand over to the end user for 12 hours.

Running at 1500 RPM that is the maximum those engines are recommended to run. To generate correct electrical requirements.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'The Don',

I agree to your post to a certain extend. As far as I know only old engines manufactures requested for a running in period.

Present engines has bearing clearances, Improved Engine oils. I don't think it is necessary to do any running in period.

Don't think. Manufacturers recommend if its required or not, that information is in the manual they give you with the car. Some manufacturers run the engines before fitting it into the chassis to run it in, so there is no need for the owners to do it.

But considering how you love new though inferior vehicles, you should stick to the running in practice.

Don't think. Manufacturers recommend if its required or not, that information is in the manual they give you with the car. Some manufacturers run the engines before fitting it into the chassis to run it in, so there is no need for the owners to do it.

But considering how you love new though inferior vehicles, you should stick to the running in practice.

When we got our Hilux, they never said about a speed limit, when we asked them about it on the delivery day they said that the engines had been adjusted accordingly from the factory itself, so thats not an issue. Thats what they said

When we got our Hilux, they never said about a speed limit, when we asked them about it on the delivery day they said that the engines had been adjusted accordingly from the factory itself, so thats not an issue. Thats what they said

That would indicate a factory run in, wouldn't it? When we got the Gen2, it was clearly stated in the manual, stay below x speed and x rpm until x Kms are done, do first service, and then you're ok. One reason dad took a trip a Katharagama with the car, a 600km round trip helps to make that first service mileage come up quicker.