• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fourth Gear Slipping To Neutral

gnr11

I drive a 1996 ford festiva. recently I was accelrating on the fourth gear and suddnely gear sliped in to Neutral. i thought gear might have not been engaged properly. But then again it happened for the second time.... this happens when accelrating on the 4th.... any idea what is the cuase for this???

I drive a 1996 ford festiva. recently I was accelrating on the fourth gear and suddnely gear sliped in to Neutral. i thought gear might have not been engaged properly. But then again it happened for the second time.... this happens when accelrating on the 4th.... any idea what is the cuase for this???

'gnr11',

First of all how many Kilometers your car has done, it may be due to normal wastage of gear wheels.

Your problem can be several causes. As terrabytango said it can be on on the gear selector shift fork not engaging the wheel correctly in to the other gear wheels.

When you accelerate there is more power on the engine when this try to transfer to the transmission system if the gear wheels are wasted this also can happen.

it is best to get a good mechanic to remove the gear box and get same attend if not this problem can little by little increase even at low speeds this will happen.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Maybe an issue with the shift fork. A friend had the same issue in his double cab. It's pretty straightforward to sort out.

yep....i too tend to agree with TT on this.

quite possible it's a worn shift/gear fork...

when these forks wear out overtime, gears dont tend to engage completely as they should and tend to jump out.

yep....i too tend to agree with TT on this.

quite possible it's a worn shift/gear fork...

when these forks wear out overtime, gears dont tend to engage completely as they should and tend to jump out.

Reminds me of Morris Minors :)