• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Knocking Sound

Sajith83

Question

Hi Everyone, just want some info...

I got a 2007 Swift (ZC11s) manual and the car has modified coils and lowered, in addition with the body kit it's pretty low.

My issue - I do drive on really bad road surfaces most of the time, and I've replaced my front shock absorber units about 2 months ago. Yesterday I had to take a rather heavy individual in the car (he weighs about 110kg which is double me.. so the weight distribution was terrible :) ) and thru the bad roads a knocking sound started coming. Mostly heard on declines and gear changes. I can feel a kind of knock on the clutch as well.

It got a little better after dropping him, but still occasionally comes... like a dull 'duk duk' sound...

Can anyone help me to identify what might the issue be? Before I take it to A*W and they say I gotta replace a whole bunch of stuff. (I hope my shocks are still under warranty)

Thanks guys!

6 answers to this question

Lolz. I weigh ~110kg, and my car hardly registers the weight. Exactly how fast did you go on these bad roads?

naaa not fast... but my GF lives pretty far inside Malabe (Pothuarawa road) that road is worse than the moon, and when I had 17"s I had to change to 15"s... sigh... for the betterment of the car. so fastest I've probably gone on those roads in a hurry would be 50... usually around 30-40.

Maybe you've got worn bushes? I know my van suffered heavily when I took a few C roads to work regularly, front end bushes were changed regularly. Your friend must've been the figurative straw what broke the camel's back.

Could be bushes like Terrabytetango says but could be a host of other things like mounts, and even CV joints. Suspension bushes are not always easy to inspect properly without dismantling but you can check the shocks (by lifting the boots and checking for any leaking liquid) and the engine and gearbox mounts.

oh, i know that potuarawa road (potuarawa - akuregoda - palawatte) . No surprise you hear wired noises in such roads :)

haha yeah it's crater heaven there... no matter how many times they fill it up it just sinks from the same place all over again. :S

Could be bushes like Terrabytetango says but could be a host of other things like mounts, and even CV joints. Suspension bushes are not always easy to inspect properly without dismantling but you can check the shocks (by lifting the boots and checking for any leaking liquid) and the engine and gearbox mounts.

Thanks machang I think it's time for a full health check.. hope it doesn't get followed by a fat... cheque.... :(

Maybe you've got worn bushes? I know my van suffered heavily when I took a few C roads to work regularly, front end bushes were changed regularly. Your friend must've been the figurative straw what broke the camel's back.

I got bushes replaced maybe about 8 months ago... and then the front shocks 2 months ago... I think you're right about the figurative straw :D thanks machang