• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

185/15 Tires On 195/15 Alloys

monty

Hi Guys,

I bought a car recently and it has 15" rims/cups with brand new 185/65 tires. I want to go for a 15" alloy set now and also have an intention of moving to 195/65 tires after the current 185/65 tires wearout.

My question is whether I can use my existing 185/65 tires on a new 195/15 alloy set? Will there be any issues? / Any gaps visible in the alloy once the tires are fitted? I went to a couple of alloy shops and they said the tire balloon size is not a problem and both 185 and 195 tires can be fited to 15" alloys.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

monty

Going from 195 to 185 on the existing rims should not be a major issue, but since you are going to maintain the profile at 65 height will be more ( approx 10% taller than the existing one)

You will need to see if there is enough room when turning the wheels. Anyways since your tyres are new it will be at least 2 or more years from now when u will need to change it..

Search for another tire size thread in the forum, there is a post which contains a visual tire size calculator that allows you to mix and match different rims sizes with tires. You can use it calculate the overall diameter of the wheel.

CARBON B4 / terrabytetango...Thanks guys. Sorry, if I didn't make myself clear enough.

What I want to do is to immediately buy an 15" alloy set intended for fitting 195/65/15 tires and instead fit my current 185/65/15 tires to the alloys and run. Later I want to fit 195/65/15 tires on the alloys once my 185/65/15 tires go bad. (As CARBON said may be in around 2 years time). Just wanted to check whether doing this was safe.

Basically when we say 15" alloys, what I want to know is whether it supports fitting a range of tire width sizes like 185mm and 195m OR whether alloys are made specifically to match a particular width size (like 195/65/15 alloys, 185/65/15 alloys etc;)

Yes, I'm aware that moving to 195 from 185 (while maintaining the same 65 profile) will increase the overall height by a fraction as CARBON has said. But that will not be an issue for the vehicle as there will be enough room when turning the wheels.

Thanks guys!

Ah... since the difference in the width is only 5% the rim u are planing on getting should be able to manage your existing tyre without any issue.

There will be no gap like you mention, as a tubeless tyre cannot be fitted with a gap anyway.

Don; The stock tyre size is 185/65/15 and this is what it runs on now. What I'm looking at buying is a set of 195/15 alloys and fitting in the stock tyres since the tyres are new.

whmsujith; You are correct. But I intend of keeping the profile same at 65. So there will be a slight increase in the overall height if I switch to 195/15. But seems that will not be a problem for the car as I realize now.

Thank you both!

There is no such thing as 185 or 195 alloy wheels. Width of the wheel is generally measured in inches.

For the tire size you intend to use the best would be 6 or 6.5 inch. 6.5 would be much better visually.

Not only the height even the width will have issues with the tires touching the body, especially in the font while applying full steering lock, I suggest you check whether you check this before finalizing the purchase.

What is your stock wheel width if it is 6 inches 6.5 will not be much of an issue.

As for the tire try to find 195/60/15 if you can this will have less impact on your gearing and Speedo reading than 195/65/15

If you are looking at improving the looks of your vehicle with the alloys just go for the increase in width with the stock tires. IMO 185/65/15 on a 6.5 inch will be much better looking than 195/65/15 on a 6.0 inch, and you can save a good sum on the cost of the tires.

Hi Monty, I guess this is a common tyre change that is taken place in most of the new Allion/Premio cars. 2007-2009 cars came with 185/70*14 tyres and they fit 195/65*15 to increase ground clearance. But from 2010 onwards the face lifted cars came with 185/65*15 tyres as standard. On the driver's side door pilar these tyres sizes are given. Apart from that I'm amazed to see alloys with specific tyre sizes, cos generaly alloys are categorized in terms of Width*Rim Dia*PCD. eg 6.5x15, 100*5(PCD of Allion). Also there is something called the off set...

Edited by Rachitha

Thanks kush and Rachitha for the valuable information.

Rachitha: You are spot on. The car is a face lifted 2010 allion coming with 185/65*15 tyres as standard. Why I intend of going for 195/65/15 someday was to get the look the tire had more width and also because I noticed that (2007-2009) allions had it done as you have mentioned. Now I will go for a 6.5x15 alloy set and fit the existing 185/65/15 stock tires which I think will serve my purpose.

cheers!

The Allion is a big car but the stock wheels are smaller compared to the size of the car, so making the tires big will give a better appearance to the car.

But since you are planning on changing the alloys why dont u go for a bigger rims straight away ( You compromise on handling, performance etc.. when the tyre is too tall ) , you might be able to do a deal with the tyre shop to do some sort of exchange.... I think its a worth while investment on the car which you would have paid over Ra 5 mill, it will help the re sale value as well.

Edited by CARBON B4

CARBON B4...you have a point....but wasn't that the case only with (2007-2009) allions that came with 14" stock rims?. 14" seems certainly too small for the car but the 15" stock rims that comes with the new facelifted model seems rather matching enough when viewed from the side. Just my opinion. Was it 16" or 17" rims you implied by saying bigger rims?

Where I want to imporve on the "looks" is for the width of the tire when observed from behind and front of the vehicle. I think my current 15" stock rim is of 6" width. So if I go for 6.5" width alloys and use my current 185/65 stock tires on it, will it not give a slightly increased look for the width of the tire? :unsure:

Thanks again.