• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

World's #1 Trackchaser Visits Sri Lanka

Randy Lewis

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the AutoLanka forum who helped with information about my recent trip to Sri Lanka. I am a "trackchaser". I go all over the world seeing wheel to wheel auto racing events. To date I have seen racing at 1,735 racetracks in 57 different countries.

However, my hobby is more about the "chase rather than the race". When I go somewhere far from home I try to see as much as I can of the local attractions as possible.

In my short four day/three night visit I saw and did a lot. After each trip I post a Trackchaser Report and YouTube videos on my website at www.randylewis.org.

If you would like to see my report click on this link:

http://www.randylewi...ilankapart1.htm

Again, thanks for all the help. The AutoLanka forum rocks!

Randy

• Like 4

If you would like to take a look at my YouTube videos, click on these links. The first two are my still photos on YouTube and the last one is video footage of the trip. I will send my part 2 report later.

Best,

Randy Lewis

World's #1 Trackchaser

San Clemente, California USA

• Like 1

Hey Randy,

I liked the third video you posted: Good on you for promoting visits to Sri Lanka and you're right the elephant orphanage, Kandy/ Peradeniya Botanical Gardens and the Temple of the Tooth are great places to visit.

Your 'guest house' / hotel however looks very crappy, and the breakfast most unappetizing. There's way better accomodation available; from 5 star lodgings to much simpler low budget places like the one you stayed at (but much newer and closer to town) in and around Kandy.

Weird choice staying where you did: Who recommended that paticular hotel / guest house?

• Like 2

Hey Randy, Errr.... Every temple has a tree thats more than 500 years old is incorrect :) .. Im a buddhist....so i know ...,, most temples have much younger "bo" trees.. may be like 30-80 years old or may be even younger :)..heheh so who told you that lie?........... i didnt able to check your videos still but.. i'll would love to watch them today after i leave my office.

+1 Kavvz...Weird place to stay.Looks like a joint even the locals would avoid.I bet there are far more decent hotels at cheaper prices.

Actually machan that place was one of the best places to stay back in the days, i remember staying there when i was a kid. There are 2 ivy banks if i remember, i guess he got the bad one. Now of course its pure crap

Hey Randy

Hope you enjoyed your stay here. I read the report. I actually have to disagree on this statement "I think the Sri Lankan translation for the word “exclusive” is remote." :) because that place really looks crap which even we locals would avoid, there are many new and cheap places around. I doubt that place even has a tourist board approval. You could have contacted our kandy agents Schiffer or Nexus :P . And yeah I agree on what you've said about our driving strategy ;)

Hey Randy

Hope you enjoyed your stay here. I read the report. I actually have to disagree on this statement "I think the Sri Lankan translation for the word “exclusive” is remote." :) because that place really looks crap which even we locals would avoid, there are many new and cheap places around. I doubt that place even has a tourist board approval. You could have contacted our kandy agents Schiffer or Nexus :P . And yeah I agree on what you've said about our driving strategy ;)

lol there are other members from kandy too mate :P

but yeah. there are better places. but tbh he found that place welcomed and in a diffrent point of view. he did get to enjoy a traditional sri lankan house :)

@randy - will you be uploading another video? and did you take pics of the race track?

Hi Folks,

I sure didn't think the Ivy Banks was the best place I ever stayed in either, but it was clean (not too many ants), cheap and the breakfast was much better than it may have looked. I took the recommendation from the Tourist Drivers Association in the airport. Most of the time I can only go on the recommendations of others when I'm traveling a long way from home or a long way from my own culture. I am also glad that most have enjoyed what I posted. Since I pay my own way, I'm not accountable to anyone else so I can give my honest and direct opinions. I have done many many newspaper, radio and TV interviews. In virtually every one the writer gets something wrong, misinterprets a point or two or whatever. I just chalk it up to mee saying one thing and the listener hearing it from their point of reference. I know the say thing happens to me when I caption my photos, videos or write my Trackchaser Reports. I don't worry too much about it. When I wrote it I thought it was right! Yes, I will be posting two more videos covering the last part of my trip and my day at the Pannala Race Track. If you're interested you can see my complete list of videos at this link: http://www.randylewis.org/videos.htm. You might like to see some of the unusual forms of racing in the U.S.A. and other places I've visited. I'll be back to you shortly! Thanks to everyone who replied.