• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Insight Views

Mikee

Right. Because of course I would just take the word of the sales and marketing types whose job it is to sell me whatever they have there by saying anything they have to.

If the agents wanted to lie to sell more Prii and Insights they would tell people that their officially imported hybrids are made especially for local conditions and the local market, and are different from and much better suited to local conditions than the JDM cars imported by resellers.

But the agents did the right thing and told the truth that their cars are basically off the shelf JDM cars, even though revealing that fact actually weakens their ability to differentiate their hybrids from resellers, and their marketing and sales pitch.

I talked with several people at Stafford and Toyota Lanka who separately told me that the hybrids the agents import into SL are unaltered JDM cars. Because after a thorough assessment of local conditions, Tokyo determined that JDM hybrids needed no changes or modifications for Sri Lankan conditions.

That's interesting considering that when I test drove the Insight they specifically mentioned that the brand new import had several mods to improve it's performance in local conditions. Specifically extra heat shielding, better moisture protection for the electronics and a few other things.

And Toyota Lanka are importing Hybrids are they? As far as I'm aware they haven't started yet.

No doubt you'll excuse me if I call bullshit on this one?

Edited by Supra_Natural

That's interesting considering that when I test drove the Insight they specifically mentioned that the brand new import had several mods to improve it's performance in local conditions. Specifically extra heat shielding, better moisture protection for the electronics and a few other things.

And Toyota Lanka are importing Hybrids are they? As far as I'm aware they haven't started yet.

No doubt you'll excuse me if I call bullshit on this one?

Seems like you fell hook, line, and sinker for Stafford's marketing and sales pitch on your test drive. The parts you mention as being different sound like BS differences made up by marketing department in order to differentiate their Insights from other sellers, and convinced people to buy from the agents. Nothing wrong with buying from the agents, mind you.

I was told by an engineer at Stafford that there aren't any significant differences because the Insight, like the Prius, was engineered from the beginning to be a world car; engineered to withstand the variety of road, climate, and driving conditions found around the world. The fact that there are Insights from a variety of Japanese sources and the UK in SL, and they have been been reliable support this.

Anyway, arguing about hybrid reliability is like arguing about CVT reliability when CVTs first came to SL, especially since their reliability had been already proven globally. Silly argument that will seem even sillier in 10 years time.

Cali, stop lying and go away. Bloody waste of oxygen. Reliability of CVTs in SL, my backside.

There has got to be some bloody limit to this bloody outright lying.

Lying???

So you're saying when CVT transmissions or any major technology change has started appearing in SL, everyone from the very start has wholeheartedly accepted and embraced the new technology without (in the beginning) questioning the reliability, durability, performance and viability of the new technology in local conditions?

When CVTs first started appearing locally years ago, there were people who said the reliability and durability of these new-fangled CVT transmissions was not proven in local conditions, the repair facilities and repair know how were not there should anything go wrong with a CVT, and advised against buying a vehicle with a CVT transmission. Not bad advice for the time, but now years later do people still say the same things about CVTs?

Lying???

So you're saying when CVT transmissions or any major technology change has started appearing in SL, everyone from the very start has wholeheartedly accepted and embraced the new technology without (in the beginning) questioning the reliability, durability, performance and viability of the new technology in local conditions?

See machang, what's happened is that due to your ignorance in some topics in the past and your attitude you have lost credibility integrity. So no matter what you say everyone's gonna think twice. You're like the boy who cried wolf; except there's no wolf at all coming at the end.

Lying???

When CVTs first started appearing locally years ago, there were people who said the reliability and durability of these new-fangled CVT transmissions was not proven in local conditions, the repair facilities and repair know how were not there should anything go wrong with a CVT, and advised against buying a vehicle with a CVT transmission. Not bad advice for the time, but now years later do people still say the same things about CVTs?

I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about or where the hell you get your information, but we still do have major issues with CVT transmissions in Sri Lanka. Most of the time a damaged CVT would require a replacement as there still aren't many people here who can fix them. CVT is still not recommended in Sri Lanka, yet people really don't have a choice in the matter as a lot of cars are going in the CVT direction. That does not mean it's more reliable and can be repaired.

See this is what happens when people who know nothing about cars, living in Connecticut, start talking about market conditions in Sri Lanka.

I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about or where the hell you get your information, but we still do have major issues with CVT transmissions in Sri Lanka. Most of the time a damaged CVT would require a replacement as there still aren't many people here who can fix them. CVT is still not recommended in Sri Lanka, yet people really don't have a choice in the matter as a lot of cars are going in the CVT direction. That does not mean it's more reliable and can be repaired.

See this is what happens when people who know nothing about cars, living in Connecticut, start talking about market conditions in Sri Lanka.

I never wrote that CVTs are reliable or they don't have issues or they can be repaired all the time. I wrote that over time people's attitudes about CVT's and buying advice about cars with CVTs has changed.

And FYI: Every CVT issue you list as being specific to Sri Lanka has occurred not only just in SL, but globally, including the developed markets.

I never wrote that CVTs are reliable or they don't have issues or they can be repaired all the time. I wrote that over time people's attitudes about CVT's and buying advice about cars with CVTs has changed.

And FYI: Every CVT issue you list as being specific to Sri Lanka has occurred not only just in SL, but globally, including the developed markets.

You know you should really consider going in to politics. Your retarded arguments and your pathetic attempts to counter everyone would actually work for the people sitting in the gallery..

• Like 1

Anyway, arguing about hybrid reliability is like arguing about CVT reliability when CVTs first came to SL, especially since their reliability had been already proven globally. Silly argument that will seem even sillier in 10 years time.

And anyone reconcile these two statements? I SWEAR in the first one he says CVTs were reliable from the outset (globally too) while in in the second one, he seems to think that what I said! I mean, WTF?!?

Actually, yes they do.

And also of interest, thats exactly what we say about hybrids too. Even with a far higher adoption rate for hybrids due to tax breaks, the support infrastructure STILL sucks.

Also, you are a moron if you think people should be early adopters just coz the kinks might be worked out somewhere down the line.

No, let me correct that. You are a moron. Full stop.

And anyone reconcile these two statements? I SWEAR in the first one he says CVTs were reliable from the outset (globally too) while in in the second one, he seems to think that what I said! I mean, WTF?!?

Huh??? The first post was referring to Insight and Prius CVT transmission reliability which had already been proven globally when the Prius and Insight started coming to SL in large numbers last year. The second post was referring to how people's attitudes about CVTs in general have changed over the years.

And here's a FYI about hybrid CVT transmissions: Look at the Insight and Prius transmission reliability/ durability ratings. See all the red? That means the Insight and Prius have demonstrated much better than average CVT transmission reliability and durability.

6h1czq.jpg

35klugw.jpg

Actually, yes they do.

And also of interest, thats exactly what we say about hybrids too. Even with a far higher adoption rate for hybrids due to tax breaks, the support infrastructure STILL sucks.

Also, you are a moron if you think people should be early adopters just coz the kinks might be worked out somewhere down the line.

No, let me correct that. You are a moron. Full stop.

Huh ?? Now the people who've already bought a hybrid or recommend buying a hybrid are morons?

You have every right to recommend that people don't buy a hybrid for the valid reasons you've previously given, just as people who recommend hybrids have the right to recommend them for the valid reasons they given. And people have the right to buy whatever car they see fit. So let people look at the information that's out there, at the pro and con arguments, and make their own buying decision that's right for them, instead of calling them names.

No no. I thought this was adequately clear. YOU are a moron. I wasn't talking about anyone else.

Call me what you want, but what really matters is what is happening in the real world. And in the real world history is proving and will prove you wrong.

You have every right to advise people to not buy a hybrid until the support infrastructure meets your satisfaction. But out of many good reasons, there is one very good reason to buy now rather than wait:

This is the unpredictable SL govt we are talking about, and the govt can end the tax breaks at any time. Already in a year it's gone from 38% to 60%. When the support infrastructure meets your satisfaction sometime in the future, and you are ready to recommend a hybrid, the tax breaks could have ended or be negligible. Suddenly the hybrid that cost Rs 5 million hybrid today could cost much much more. And many people who "waited" to buy a hybrid will not be able to afford one, and could be stuck having to get a much older far inferior car for their 5 million.

You know the sayings "The early bird catches the worm" and "Strike while the iron is hot". That certainly applies to buying a hybrid under tax concessions in SL.

Call me what you want, but what really matters is what is happening in the real world. And in the real world history is proving and will prove you wrong.

You really need to learn the difference between HISTORY and PREDICTIONS

You have every right to advise people to not buy a hybrid until the support infrastructure meets your satisfaction. But out of many good reasons, there is one very good reason to buy now rather than wait:

This is the unpredictable SL govt we are talking about, and the govt can end the tax breaks at any time. Already in a year it's gone from 38% to 60%. When the support infrastructure meets your satisfaction sometime in the future, and you are ready to recommend a hybrid, the tax breaks could have ended or be negligible. Suddenly the hybrid that cost Rs 5 million hybrid today could cost much much more. And many people who "waited" to buy a hybrid will not be able to afford one, and could be stuck having to get a much older far inferior car for their 5 million.

You know the sayings "The early bird catches the worm" and "Strike while the iron is hot". That certainly applies to buying a hybrid under tax concessions in SL.

And that "get it while its cheap" attitude, rather than any merit of the car, is EXACTLY why so many people call those people cheapskates.