• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ford Cortinas

denuka perera

hey guys i just registered with this site and i need help with buying a ford cortina and if it is a gxl much preferred so if anyone of u know about a cortina to be sold let me know and ur help is much appreciated and my budget is a very low one it should be below 2 lax thanx guys hope u will reply

I don't know the prices of reputed garages but a freelancer will do it 30-40 thousand without "tinkering" works.. In your budget its hard to find a good condition one. It is okay to buy corrosion car if you know a person who can mend the works for you otherwise its a huge waste of time. but you can gain a profit or save some money that way. By da way where u from??

• Like 1

It is difficult to estimate tinkering costs without knowing the extent of corrosion. Last time my family got a car tinkered and fully re sprayed it cost us close to 100K and that was over a decade ago. We did replace some of the doors rather than try to repair them and the car needed repairs to the roof the floor board, the area under the windscreen where water collects (connected to the bulk head) and around the front windscreen. The dash board and all the internals were taken out.

Basically you can't really buy and restore a Cortina with 200k and that is the sad truth. In fact I am helping a friend restore his Cortina now (a facelift mk3) and I remember when he bought the car it was over 200k and this was before the subsequent price rises.

• Like 1

The Don is correct. Even Tinkering man can't give you the exact amount for repair. Some cars i've seen nothing large in front but when it start to tinker it magically appears more and more work. So If someone say 40k you shouls definitly capable of spending 50-60 or even more for the job. Because it how when things began to work.. But my advice if you going to tinker car you have to fine the best man otherwise you get desperate after everything done. Painter and tinker must hav communication through the work. If not whole load of potty will be apply to the car.

• Like 1

tinkering car now can cost at least 40-50k and painting will set you back by 80k 120k (depending on the place and their skills and past work) but there could eb free lancer fellows who can do it cheaper but it can be a hassle

one tip i can give you is if you get a painter then you personally buy the stuff and give them as otherwise they will quote for good quality stuff and but the cheaper verson which will give issues later on (eg:there are cataloy paste in several price ranges )

• Like 1

thanx guys , i have more questions what if i replace the original engine with a 1300 diesel engine how much would that cost me just give me the general idea ,this is gonna be my 1st car so i value ur advises and knowledge and another thing i have the budget of 200000k to buy the car after buying i can restore it taking time by the way u guys don't know of any good tinkering guy around negombo area pls tell me if u do

I know few people foe tinkering in Negambo area. But 1st of all If you willing to buy a car for restoration try to stay with original condition. converting old model car isn't good idea. If you want diesel car why don't you try go original diesel one. Its sometimes cheaper than converting. You have to pay huge tax for conversion and engines isn't cheap either. And most of all petrol chassis not made for diesel engine, weight and vibrations isn't same as petrol. Specially when car is old. There's a good guy in Mirriswattha area in Divulapitiya-Negambo road. Find a good condition vehicle then contact a tinkerman.

Ok. In current Fuel price I don't think it has much different in Fuel. Few years back I also though about converting my Mark II to Diesel. but I dumped the idea because there's no much to save after paying huge tax bills and ruining precious car. So After you buy that take it to good mechanic and have a good tuneup. Then it will be fine. Don't worry about Fuel if you really want your dream Car. Just follow your instinct. There're good mechanics in Negambo too. So good luck. I'm not sure but I remembered there's a one in Minuwangoda area but it was long time ago. may be it already sold.

thanx guys , i have more questions what if i replace the original engine with a 1300 diesel engine how much would that cost me just give me the general idea ,this is gonna be my 1st car so i value ur advises and knowledge and another thing i have the budget of 200000k to buy the car after buying i can restore it taking time by the way u guys don't know of any good tinkering guy around negombo area pls tell me if u do

Before even talking of the mechanical feasibility let me tell you why it wont work for YOU. The RMV fee alone for converting a petrol to a diesel is Rs.250,000.

Ah, a diesel..mmmmmmmmm....av a peek at this

yup, it's the Watermota Sea Panther based on a Ford Cortina block and bits and pieces....should fit in pretty easy...you'd get up to maybe 60kph down a steep hill with the wind behind ya on a sunny day and the tyres pumped up real hard and the corrosion lightening the body but, there ya go! Reconditioned Sea Panther motors are still available, so they say.

By the way, with Cortinas, the word ain't corrosion, it's furgin rust! They were nice cars in the day though, particularly liked the 1600E...the package worked real well..sweet gearbox.

thanx guys, Pericles i will focus on my punctuation from now on, however i am interested in ford cortina mark 3 xl s and gxl s round light version .malaka thanx pal for ur help at rameez i am checking men but as soon as the newspaper is out the cars are gone cortinas have a huge demand these days chooty putha thanx machan but that car is a square lighted one

ok guys, i found a ford cortina for a 200000k the engine is good ,the car is in original condition ,but there are some corrosions here and there which would cost around 40000k, is that a reasonable price

Assess the corrosion carefully. Get under the car and see how far it has spread and whether it is superficial, widespread and more importantly affecting weight bearing areas which is of some concern. Also is water getting inside the car either from the floorboard, roof or any other area. Look under the carpets as well.

• Like 1