• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hit And Run Accident

Straga

Procedure is same. He has 24hrs to come to the police and report what had happened. after 24hrs police consider it as a hit and run then they will ask report from DMV records and police which in vehicle registered area apprehend him and prosecute in court unless you willing to settle because no one is hurt only property damage is done. So that's it.

Edited by Malaka2

So i lodge a complain with the police.. Then what? Could someone please highlight the entire procedure..? thanks :)

Thats it, and the Police will take care of it.... most often they will do nothing but at least its on record and you are safe. Also if this vehicle was involved in a crime it may help the investigation process.... Since u said the guy is young its very likely he does not have licence....

If u feel the scratch is big enough to get the insurance to pay for it call them immediately, now since you did not do that they will ask you to come with a police report ( after u lodge the entry and get a certified copy of the entry, usually takes week or two, depending on the station). But before u do that see if how much u will loose on the no claim bonus, if you have a good NCB, its best to do the repair yourself.

So i lodge a complain with the police.. Then what? Could someone please highlight the entire procedure..? thanks :)

You lodge a complaint. the cops will do their thing and summon that guy and will ask you to come and ask if you want to press charges... simple.

Depends on what you want to do from that point onwards. I suggest you go to the cops before its past 24 hours.

carbon ,

will they come and see the incident even if the cover is 3rd party,i though it was only for full insured.

No, I assumed u were on full cover. My advice is best u go for a full cover you never know when a big accident will happen, and u will regret it. This guy I know busted a SX4, his fault paid close to Rs 1 Million on repairs as he was on 3rd party and tried to save...

If its third party, there is no point in calling your insurance. Then u must put the entry in and get the cops to prosecute the guy. but if he does not have insurance the court may decide how much he has to pay... VERY big procedure for a small scratch, and not worth it. But do put the entry anyway even if you repair it yourself.

Guys, small issue.. Now once i file the police report how long will it take to summon the guy and get it over with.. reason i ask is parents are gonna be abroad in a few days.. A quick reply would be appreciated before we decide to do anything..

Guys, small issue.. Now once i file the police report how long will it take to summon the guy and get it over with.. reason i ask is parents are gonna be abroad in a few days.. A quick reply would be appreciated before we decide to do anything..

If my experience with SL police is anything to go by, it will take as long as it takes. Once its reported to the police and you have a reference, you can leave it with them. This is more for your own protection but also I think its your civic duty. Too many people get away with this sort of thing.

If my experience with SL police is anything to go by, it will take as long as it takes. Once its reported to the police and you have a reference, you can leave it with them. This is more for your own protection but also I think its your civic duty. Too many people get away with this sort of thing.

Hmm well the thing is we cant really wait forever and cant be summoned to the police station as my parents will be abroad for almost a motnh and a half.. maybe we should just let one go..

Hmm well the thing is we cant really wait forever and cant be summoned to the police station as my parents will be abroad for almost a motnh and a half.. maybe we should just let one go..

You don't have to wait for Police summons. They summon the hit and run driver not you and you will only probably hear of the matter again if they find the chap and it goes to court. Basically it wont be a quick process and you can inform the police in advance of your absence.

Not much effort involved. Just go an make a statement. If you want say you are putting a statement for your own protection and you don't want to pursue the matter. The term should be "Mathu arakshawa pinisa". Match over.

Hmmm well what are the chances of them finding the chap..? Pardon my ignorance but we really are wondering whether it will be worth to go through all the effort..

I think this is the reason why these type of incidents happen in SL :)

First and foremost, most vehicles particularly new ones are kept under the current owners names these days so tracking down the driver should not be an issue.

What you are protecting yourself against is the other party going to the police themselves and making a complaint against you about causing damage to his vehicle.

check with your insurance to see if they have an uninsured motorist clause in the policy. I know I do and hit and runs are usually covered under that, or when fault cannot be determined by an investigation. Also check with your insurance company on what you could do. Sometimes, they could fix your car and may go after the owner of the other car.