• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Noise From The Engine Corolla 2C

Amila G

Question

Hi,

It's a corolla CE110 and about a week ago there was a clattering sound from the engine when it was started in the morning and slowly went away in about 5 mins (or when the engine got hot). After that day the sound comes again in some mornings but not always and it goes away in a few minutes.

The sound is exactly like a metal nut hitting the tappet cover but it s not the usual tappet sound. At first I was scared that something has gotten lose inside the engine. The sound is coming from the drivers side of the engine and may be from the diesel pump but cannot locate exactly.

I had the injectors checked and all were fine (thinking of a blocked injector as a mech suggested). Another mech said the sound is from either the vacuum pump or the alternator drive belt but the belt looks fine and the tension is also fine.

Funny thing is it's really hard to show the symptoms to mechanic as it goes away by the time I take the car to him and it only occurs in the morning. Only option is to leave the car with a mech overnight which I kinda hesitate :)

Apart from that there are no any other issues with it, car pulls great and has good fuel consumption. Valve clearances are not checked for about at least 100k but did not do it cause I had no issues with it. btw engine has clocked 200+ K

Any help trouble shooting this is really appriciated.

12 answers to this question

Why not get the tappets checked? I believe they require a periodic adjustment anyway due to regular wear and tear.

Yes, but I was following if it aint broke don't fix it law :) anyway I'll get it done.

Btw how is toyota lanka for tappet adjusting ? I asked another mech and he said I need to leave the car for overnight for tappet check and I kinda hesitate to leave her on an unfamiliar place :( . Although my regular mech does tappets I don't if he's got the right tools/values to do it properly.

I'd be very surprised if they don't, since they do have to provide service for 2C engines in the form of the shitty permit Corolla Diesels that have been trickling through since 2007.

I'm assuming this is a "molli" engine. We had the same problem in our old 2C-III. apparently it was with the vacuum pump (the molli part). We had some part inside it machined and the noise went away. my dad said it can only be done once and when the noise comes back it needs to be replaced. This was also when the engine had clocked 200k km. Can't remember much cos I was small back then. So it could be the same issue. get it checked with a good toyota mechanic who knows his way around old 2C engines.

I'm assuming this is a "molli" engine. We had the same problem in our old 2C-III. apparently it was with the vacuum pump (the molli part). We had some part inside it machined and the noise went away. my dad said it can only be done once and when the noise comes back it needs to be replaced. This was also when the engine had clocked 200k km. Can't remember much cos I was small back then. So it could be the same issue. get it checked with a good toyota mechanic who knows his way around old 2C engines.

Thanks, will get it checked, I was told that there's a pin like thing in the vacuum pump that wears out and give a similar sound.

i too guess the noise coming from Vacum pump. but you have to go to good mechanic and get checkout. if your engine milage 200k+ better you do check the tappet clearance. yes, to check valve clearance engine should be cool down.

also if Vacum pump faulty, don't go to repair vacum pump. because vacum pump can't repair properly. better you replace from recon one. cost will be 3,500/- 12,000/- (normal price 8,500/- but can buy for 3,500/-) also don't buy from panchikawatta.

It usualy comes from the vaccume pump.I too faced the same problem. I showed it to few mechanics.and all of their's response was "let it there !". :prankster2:

if your vacuum pump faulty or noise coming. don't think twice change it as soon as possible. because this unit handled the break power of your vehicle. when you drive, suddenly if loos the break power what will happen?

when you change the vacuum pump you can notice improvement of break power if the replaced vacuum pump is good.

• Like 1

i too guess the noise coming from Vacum pump. but you have to go to good mechanic and get checkout. if your engine milage 200k+ better you do check the tappet clearance. yes, to check valve clearance engine should be cool down. also if Vacum pump faulty, don't go to repair vacum pump. because vacum pump can't repair properly. better you replace from recon one. cost will be 3,500/- 12,000/- (normal price 8,500/- but can buy for 3,500/-) also don't buy from panchikawatta.

Thanks for the reply, Why should I avoid panchikawatte ? How about delkanda shops ?

Also should I take a mechanic to find a good quality pump or can I check for my self (if so what are the things that I should check for) ?

Thanks for the reply, Why should I avoid panchikawatte ? How about delkanda shops ?

Also should I take a mechanic to find a good quality pump or can I check for my self (if so what are the things that I should check for) ?

Pachikawatta ppl mostly selling repaired pumps. it can run only about one or two months. no one can tell the recon pump is good. you have to fix the pump and check. so when you buy a pump take checking warranty from them. they will give you one week checking warranty.

i am not sure you can find vacuum pump from Wijerama but you try to find from there. ( Normally all spare parts in wijerama shops are very expensive.) you can buy from Wattala, there is a shop close to peliyagoda fly over bridge, also Pothuhera, kurunegala and shops from Peradeniya Gampola Road.

this peliyagoda shop have 3 or 5 vacuum pumps. i can grantee that pumps are good (pulled from recon engines. they give warranty as well without hesitate) but problem is they are asking 8,500/- no less, i bought one from Pothuhera for 3,500/-

Edited by Nilantha