• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vios-2008 Or 141-2008

Praboda Fernando

Question

Guys what do you recommend to buy?

My budget is around 3.7M and thinking of buying either 141 2008 or VIOS 2008. Please let me know your thoughts and what do you recommend me to buy? And if there is any special reason, please provide, WHY. Right now I’m using a VIOS 2004 which is quite combatable 4 me

Thanking all of you...

22 answers to this question

Well firstly, the very best of luck finding a 141 Axio for under 4 mil. The other agent supplied 141 comes with a 1.6 liter engine, where as the new Vios still has a 1.5. If fuel economy isn't an issue, then I'd suggest the 141 since its the bigger and more spacious of the two, plus the manual version has very good acceleration.

Well firstly, the very best of luck finding a 141 Axio for under 4 mil. The other agent supplied 141 comes with a 1.6 liter engine, where as the new Vios still has a 1.5. If fuel economy isn't an issue, then I'd suggest the 141 since its the bigger and more spacious of the two, plus the manual version has very good acceleration.

Well dude. This is not an 141 axio, the one which I found is, that is 141 COROLLA.. thus do you have any change on your given comments?

Indeed this is 141 corolla vs VIOS & both are in 2008,

Many thanks

Before I comment on the OPs request could somebody clarify if there is a link between the Belta, Yaris and Vios as they seem quite alike and while Belta is a JDM car the Yaris is only made for export from Japan and the Vios is made in Thailand.

I'm using a 2005 and quite satisfied. At the moment, serves the purpose. Mainly A-B

Would like to know what are your reasons for considering the upgrade.

As The Don said, those three are pretty look alike. Not sure about the technical variations. Belta comes mostly in 1000cc and some 1300cc which I believe are underpowered. I myself like the pre-2007 vios compared to the present ones (looks)

I'm using a 2005 and quite satisfied. At the moment, serves the purpose. Mainly A-B

Would like to know what are your reasons for considering the upgrade.

As The Don said, those three are pretty look alike. Not sure about the technical variations. Belta comes mostly in 1000cc and some 1300cc which I believe are underpowered. I myself like the pre-2007 vios compared to the present ones (looks)

Guess it's better always looking for new model.. Other than that there is no any spacial reason and now my 2004 is being about 2 years after my first buying

Before I comment on the OPs request could somebody clarify if there is a link between the Belta, Yaris and Vios as they seem quite alike and while Belta is a JDM car the Yaris is only made for export from Japan and the Vios is made in Thailand.

Correction - Yaris is made in malaysia.

Well dude. This is not an 141 axio, the one which I found is, that is 141 COROLLA.. thus do you have any change on your given comments?

Indeed this is 141 corolla vs VIOS & both are in 2008,

Many thanks

the Axio is still a Corolla, if you ever looked closely enough at the Axio emblem you'll see a 'Corolla' sticker just above it. And I was referring to an "agent supplied" 141, which is the ROW (rest of the world) Corolla, also the one Toyota Lanka brings down. So my opinion is still the same, sorry for not being clearer.

The Belta is Japanese, the Vios is Thai and Malay, the Yaris is built in a bunch of different countries depending on the region it's sold in (i.e. North America, Europe, Asia etc) They're essentially the same platform but the Vios in the G-Limited trim comes with the most bells and whistles, and all grades above the base grade come with a 1.5 litre engine and 4 wheel disc brakes. The Vios also has the prettiest rear light cluster imo.

• Like 1

The Belta is Japanese, the Vios is Thai and Malay, the Yaris is built in a bunch of different countries depending on the region it's sold in (i.e. North America, Europe, Asia etc) They're essentially the same platform but the Vios in the G-Limited trim comes with the most bells and whistles, and all grades above the base grade come with a 1.5 litre engine and 4 wheel disc brakes. The Vios also has the prettiest rear light cluster imo.

no mate! the vitz goes as yaris in the europe. so these avanza's, yaris's and fortuner's come from malaysian origin. where as the 141 corolla comes from phillipines and indonesia.

no mate! the vitz goes as yaris in the europe. so these avanza's, yaris's and fortuner's come from malaysian origin. where as the 141 corolla comes from phillipines and indonesia.

btw, forgot to mention about toyota lanka cheating all end users by promoting it as made in japan. but to be honest, it ain't japan..

they're still built elsewhere. i know for a fact the Euro Yaris is built in France.

Edited by terrabytetango

Correction - Yaris is made in malaysia.

Yaris is also made in Japan and import to Sri Lanka through Toyota Lanka.

One of my family members ordered a brand new Toyota Yaris through Toyota Lanka under his government permit in last year. I my self collected the car from Toyota Lanka. As we requested and as they promised we got a Yaris made in Japan. I checked the B/L (Bill of Lading) and port of shipment was a Japanese port. When you open a L/C (Letter of credit) you can mention the "Port of Loading" (Clause No. 44E) to be read as "Any port in Japan" in the L/C. So shipper has to comply it. Also you can request "Certificate of Origin". Then no one can cheat you. So it is 100% sure we got a Toyota Yaris made in Japan.

I heard a funny story from one of my friends that all Yaris made in Thailand and then ship to Japan and bringing to Sri Lanka by saying it is made in Japan. Vehicles are not pumpkins to ship here and there. Poor guy. :D

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

141 Corolla is way way better than a vios. I drive a 141 and its simply fantastic.

Let me add some thing. Don't know much about Vios. My neighbor has a brand new Corolla 141 (YOM 2011) Automatic Transmission and it has the function which shows the fuel economy in digital display (average fuel economy for last 100km). Some times I have seen it is over 10km per liter even in city running.

First of all you can’t compare the Vios and the 141 corolla cos they are two different class of vehicles.

The pros and cons of both the vehicles have already been discussed above and IMO they are all valid points.

I have been using a 141 from Dec 2007 and up to date not a single issue, so is my cousins car ... in fact I had never heard of a single reliability issue with this model

Only down side is the fuel economy which is 8-9 in city 12-14 outstation, vois i think better in this regard.

Personally I feel the Corolla 141 is an underrated and there for undervalued TOYOTA car in SL.

Since you are buying second hand the initial hit has already taken care of, so if fuel is not a big issue look no further.

Ok, so my suspicion is the Vios and the Belta is more or less the same car but one is made outside Japan (Thailand and possibly other locations) and the Belta is only sold in Japan and only comes in 1L and 1.3L engines. The Yaris is made in Japan but also in other locations and definitely in Europe the Yaris brand is used for what is called the Vitz in the Japanese domestic market.

The important thing to point out is a car made in Japan will say Made in Japan usually in the plate wish the chassis number on it. It is also unlikely for that fact to be incorrect in the import papers (it is probably illegal as well as movement of goods is subject to trade treaties though vehicles are probably not a controlled good).

So the Corolla 141 or Axio in JDM trim are the same car in different trims and engines. I think the market favours the JDM over the brand new import but I will favour the brand new import as the mileage is likely to be genuine and its also likely to survive in our climate a bit better and absorb the punishment.

The Vios, Yaris, Belta story is probably similar. I'm not sure what market perceptions are of Belta vs Vios but I have a feeling the brand new imported Yaris will age a bit better.

So its up to your own priorities, if size is a priority buy he corolla, if fuel economy one of the other three, if trim levels is important buy the JDM, if you plan to use the car for sometime buy the brand new import

• Like 1

By looking at the comments, I think I should my mindset for 141

Yes, the brand new imports seem to go around the 3.6mil mark and its a really good price considering the mileage is more likely to be true and you can check maintenance records with the local agent (since under warranty probably serviced there). Ironically the later 121s go just a little bit cheaper. I think the 121s have held their value because they are known for being very good on fuel.

Actually the reason for JDM 141s to go considerably cheap is that as there is a permit being issued the

cars bought for the previous permit are disposed for very low money.

Even when considering Japanese suvs such as the montero sport going for as low as 6million(the company brand new price with taxes was once 17.1 million).

So it's a good time to grab hold of a 141 which you where considering.

Actually the reason for JDM 141s to go considerably cheap is that as there is a permit being issued the

cars bought for the previous permit are disposed for very low money.

Even when considering Japanese suvs such as the montero sport going for as low as 6million(the company brand new price with taxes was once 17.1 million).

So it's a good time to grab hold of a 141 which you where considering.

Useful info. Thx buddy