• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Starlet Diesel

nadisha

Question

I was looking for a Toyota starlet for some time and found a diesel (64 - ****) one which is in a good condition, and for a reasonable price. I didn't buy it yet 'coz I've never used a diesel vehicle, and has no idea on repair costs, maintenance costs, and fuel economy, I will be driving maximally 1000km per month.

highly appreciate your opinions on this matter.

14 answers to this question

I personally think for the mileage you do per month, you might be better off with a Starlet Petrol. A diesel vehicle is only economical if you do a lot of miles per month (around 2-3000) else it will take many years to recoup the extra money you have paid out for the diesel over the petrol model and the maintenance costs of a diesel is a bit higher than a petrol.

Also people who use diesels tend to do a lot of miles on them, so you are more likely to find a pristine condition diesel than a petrol.

• Like 4

Thats not true. Diesel is always economical and resale value always increases far more than patrol. Go for a diesel. They are good cars and amazingly economical. Before u buy make sure its in good health though and doesnt need any repairs in the near future. Good luck and enjoy.

Go for the petrol as this is almost a 20year old car.

I didn't like the performance of the 97 diesel starlet even when it was recondition (in 2000)

But if like to annoy the green-goblins by emitting clouds of black smoke (like I do) buy a diesel

but always chose a manual otherwise you'd be the laughingstock at the lights.

• Like 1

I was looking for a Toyota starlet for some time and found a diesel (64 - ****) one which is in a good condition, and for a reasonable price. I didn't buy it yet 'coz I've never used a diesel vehicle, and has no idea on repair costs, maintenance costs, and fuel economy, I will be driving maximally 1000km per month.

nadisha,

What's the model? (EP 82 or EP91)

Milage?

Asking Price?

Auto or Manual?

Thats not true. Diesel is always economical and resale value always increases far more than patrol. Go for a diesel. They are good cars and amazingly economical. Before u buy make sure its in good health though and doesnt need any repairs in the near future. Good luck and enjoy.

If you observe closely the value of petrols and diesels have appreciated at EXACTLY the same rate, and the gap between the price of petrol and diesel is one of the reasons for it. Sure they are economical, and there is no doubt about that, but they are economical only when you consider fuel costs. You should consider total cost of ownership over a number of years instead. Then you will understand what I mean.

Ten years ago, price of a 1 L of petrol was more than twice as diesel, but now the gap has been narrowing.

In 2002 1 L of petrol was 50 rupees and now 150 rupees .

In 2002 1 L of diesel was 22.50 rupees and now 115 rupees.

As far as I know when a diesel vehicle gets older the maintenance cost will be much higher than petrol. I did not feel diesel vehicles comfortable like petrol when driving. So better go for a petrol

My dad had a starlet 32 - diesel. I was very young at that times so I cannot comment much on technical details, but I recall he saying that diesel engines are not suitable for smaller cars. We had lot of engine mount issues due to vibration, and the noise was quite high even with the AC on.

But may be its only our car, so listen to the other opinions as well.

Simple answer is buy a diesel if the car is a daily runner and a petrol if it's used for your occasional journey. Also petrols tend to be in better cosmetic condition than the diesels.

Having used a diesel for 2+ years, I don't think they are any costly to maintain than petrol counter parts, provided that you get a one with a good engine. But it's not easy to find a good one cause most of the diesel are daily runners and hence have clocked too many miles. The only diesel specific repair I did to mine (110) was to replace injector nozzles and it cost only around 8000. But the heavy engine takes its toll on the front suspension rubber parts and engine mounts so you'll need to watch out for that :(

On the plus side you don't have to worry about tune-ups sensors, plugs and will start everytime :)

But on a starlet. I too agreed with the above comment. We too went to buy a 64- starlet and while test driving it felt like a tractor.. The feeling was like engine is too big/heavy for that car (may be something was wrong with that car )

My dad had a starlet 32 - diesel. I was very young at that times so I cannot comment much on technical details, but I recall he saying that diesel engines are not suitable for smaller cars. We had lot of engine mount issues due to vibration, and the noise was quite high even with the AC on. But may be its only our car, so listen to the other opinions as well.

We also used a 65- Starlet and the vibration and noise was unbearable.

And the pickup was hopeless. And they are not as much as economical as the diesel sedan

It's not a problem with small cars with diesel engines as the Polo, Lopo and the blue-motion by VW are considered great economical cars (more economical than the hybrids)

And the multijet diesel Fiats seen in sri lanka seem to be having great performance and economy.

It seems like an issue with the stone age engine of the starlet diesel (which i used to call the toilet when we used it)

But the petrol models seem alright specially the sports models look nice.

BTW if you want a diesel why not go for a big car with a diesel engine an old corolla, Dr. Sunny (Fb13)

Edited by Clark's son

We also used a 65- Starlet and the vibration and noise was unbearable.

And the pickup was hopeless. And they are not as much as economical as the diesel sedan

It's not a problem with small cars with diesel engines as the Polo, Lopo and the blue-motion by VW are considered great economical cars (more economical than the hybrids)

And the multijet diesel Fiats seen in sri lanka seem to be having great performance and economy.

It seems like an issue with the stone age engine of the starlet diesel (which i used to call the toilet when we used it)

But the petrol models seem alright specially the sports models look nice.

BTW if you want a diesel why not go for a big car with a diesel engine an old corolla, Dr. Sunny (Fb13)

it's funny you said that because there was a another guy who call his starlet a toilet and that chap goes by the name of toyota sucks do you have any relation to toyota sucks i'm just curious that's all. <_<

Edited by nexus

it's funny you said that because there was a another guy who call his starlet a toilet and that chap goes by the name of toyota sucks do you have any relation to toyota sucks i'm just curious that's all. <_<

Not to my knowledge as it is a display name.

He is in my friend list (he sent the request).

But i haven't even received a PM from him.