• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shock Absobers

kmcsb

i think it's time to replze my front shocks in my eg8....Ive just chkd its still with factory shocks and mine done nearly 185kms..I've just bought my car one year ago and person who i bought who said tht he replced rear ones..so now i feels my front side is very low and hard to drive @outstation, some times town crappy roads also.....so some are sayting go for KYB.. But my mechanic told me go for TOKIKO brand.;..well guys wht u prefer??? any eg8 lovers...

also my front sides are very low and i its hard to drive on outstations.....its it beac of weak shocks ..???

hw much will prices of KYB'S AND TOCKIKO's???

after replzing thm should i need to do whell aligment as well??

Edited by kmcsb
  • Like 1

I went with kyb and had no issues. Have no experience with tokiko. Costs around 8000 per damper. My ek was JDM and it had a very low front end. I've noticed sldm civics don't have that lovely stance.

If your shocks are good, you shouldn't have any issues outstation. I've explored the entire east coast in the ek and never once had a height issue

Check your coil springs as well. Tokiko is the factory fitted one. KYB is bit stiffer.

Friend of mine replaced his Carina 212 with KYB, and now he is regretting. He's saying its "not that much comfy"

I would go for the factory fitted brand.

Edited by razordj

Guys, its actually got nothing to do with the factory fitted brand per say as KYB is original equipment on most Japanese vehicles.

I recently replaced all 4 shocks in my car from the original Mitsubishi units and opted for KYB. Even bought them from TAAS myself. Now when I went there they told me that I should replace my shocks with gas shocks as that was what was coming up in the system. I told them that is not the original equipment in my car and asked them to give me a hydraulic shock absorber.

At first they argued with me, and even insisted the samples I had bought were gas, but then an elderly gentleman there had a look and confirmed that they were indeed hydraulic as I had insisted. So I got hydraulic shocks.

Now why you wonder. Well for one they were the original equipment in my car, but secondly from experience I know that gas shocks are a bit stiffer than hydraulic shocks which makes them harder wearing (will last longer) but also a bit uncomfortable. Now this is not as big an issue if the original shocks in your car are gas but if you are replacing hydraulics best to stick to hydraulics.

Second issue is installing new shock absorbers will make your suspension a little stiffer as it wont sway around as much. This will improve handling, be better for your back (less bouncing around) but might feel a little bit more uncomfortable if you had gotten used to the softer bad shocks.

• Like 1

oj guys ,,most honda mechanics recomands TOCKICO brand...i think its more conforatable and most compatibly thn KYB...

Machan im liitlebit confused tht don refer tht abut hydraulic shocks....will hydraulic shocks expensive than gas once..wht are OEM came with???

Only thing i need to get my front edge of car liitlebit higer (ground space) and comfortable driving..

oj guys ,,most honda mechanics recomands TOCKICO brand...i think its more conforatable and most compatibly thn KYB...

Machan im liitlebit confused tht don refer tht abut hydraulic shocks....will hydraulic shocks expensive than gas once..wht are OEM came with???

Only thing i need to get my front edge of car liitlebit higer (ground space) and comfortable driving..

If Tockico is original equipment in Honda use that. But you won't lose out a lot by switching to KYB.

You need to check what your original equipment is, whether it is gas or hydraulic. Usually if its gas I think it is indicated on the side of the shock plus you do have the original part number as well. I assume gas shocks are a little bit more expensive than hydraulic.

Ride height isn't actually dependent on the shock absorber as long as you use the correct part for your vehicle. It is sometimes affected by the spring tension but spring tension does not usually fade for many decades so that is usually not a problem. Changing the ride hide of your car beyond factory specs will have an impact on handling. The only way to do is is to either modify suspension (as in use modified shocks and other related iterms) or to use a spacer on top of the spring pushing it down to increase ride height. Your car might look a bit weird after that.

Edited by The Don

Your car might look a bit weird after that.

And also there will be a reduction of handling capabilities wouldn't it.

About 10yrs ago when we went to unimo to replace the shocks of our CB8, a friend who worked there told us to use KYB as they are completely same as the originals.

That saved us some bucks, no complains.

Some time later we replaced our AE110s shocks with KYBs but the ride comfort got awful, may be been used to the worn out shocks may be a reason.

But just find out which is the OEM and better use it

And also there will be a reduction of handling capabilities wouldn't it.

About 10yrs ago when we went to unimo to replace the shocks of our CB8, a friend who worked there told us to use KYB as they are completely same as the originals.

That saved us some bucks, no complains.

Some time later we replaced our AE110s shocks with KYBs but the ride comfort got awful, may be been used to the worn out shocks may be a reason.

But just find out which is the OEM and better use it

I think this is because TAAS by default will try to sell you Gas shocks instead of Hydraulic shocks. I have noticed they do lead to a stiffer ride particularly if the original equipment in your car were Hydraulic shocks......

i got tokico's from Teck Motors panchikawatte.it is complete shit.even before 5 months i had to replace all the shocks.apparently some one told me that there two qualities of Tokico shocks and may be Teck sells the not so good one.my advice would be to go for original kyb's from TAAS

i got tokico's from Teck Motors panchikawatte.it is complete shit.even before 5 months i had to replace all the shocks.apparently some one told me that there two qualities of Tokico shocks and may be Teck sells the not so good one.my advice would be to go for original kyb's from TAAS

Hi,

Can you remember the price you paid for that? (Tockico from Tech?)

what did you replace after that?

Edited by Nilantha

Got the pricing information from Tech, they have KYB - Front around 11K and rear around 5K

Slightly OT, guys if I'm to lower my ride height, I have to get new springs, right? Cutting the existing springs is a no no?

Possibly safer to get lowered springs. You might experience that there is not enough spring tension if you cut your existing springs which will ruin the ride and the handling. The lowered springs are made of thicker cable to compensate.

tokico's were given to me for 24k.its a bit discounted cuz i bought all four.Machan are u crazy buy KYB from them? TAAS said they'll give me all four for 28k if i pay by cash.plus when u have the dealer,why do u need to go to teck?? What really happened to me was,when i had the shock absorber issue one of the mechs from stafford told me to go for tokico instead of KYB because they are the original shock makers for honda.and he told KYB is too stiff for the ride and it will make it bumpy.hence i went for tokico which was an utter flop.my rear gave a "daka daka" sound when i was using them.so i swapped the rear ones to KYB and it was all fine!

Possibly safer to get lowered springs. You might experience that there is not enough spring tension if you cut your existing springs which will ruin the ride and the handling. The lowered springs are made of thicker cable to compensate.

Actually it's to get the ride back to its normal height. The rear of my car is rather high.

tokico's were given to me for 24k.its a bit discounted cuz i bought all four.Machan are u crazy buy KYB from them? TAAS said they'll give me all four for 28k if i pay by cash.plus when u have the dealer,why do u need to go to teck?? What really happened to me was,when i had the shock absorber issue one of the mechs from stafford told me to go for tokico instead of KYB because they are the original shock makers for honda.and he told KYB is too stiff for the ride and it will make it bumpy.hence i went for tokico which was an utter flop.my rear gave a "daka daka" sound when i was using them.so i swapped the rear ones to KYB and it was all fine!

It could be they were incorrectly fitted and that the shock mounts and stops were also damaged and weren't replaced when you first replaced the shocks.

no machan because the same mechanic installed the pair of KYBs as well.if the shocks were incorrectly installed and if the shock mounts and stops were damaged the same "daka daka" sound would have persisted with KYBs as well.

no machan because the same mechanic installed the pair of KYBs as well.if the shocks were incorrectly installed and if the shock mounts and stops were damaged the same "daka daka" sound would have persisted with KYBs as well.

TAAS gives a warranty for KYB and probably Douglas do for Tokico as well. You should have taken the shocks back.

So the conclusion is to go for KYB?.. Is there anyother who used both Tokico and KYB? need to get some imsights of this... :alc:

So the conclusion is to go for KYB?.. Is there anyother who used both Tokico and KYB? need to get some imsights of this... :alc:

Used both types in the past and now running with second hand original shocks . There is massive difference in ride comfort when compare them to brand new kyb and tokico. I too felt that the both the kyb and tokico were not that comfortable( may be they sell some low quality alternative here).