• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Variable Venturi Carburetor

malinda7

Hi all,

does any one have, any place to buy variable venturi carburetor for starlet 2E engine. car model is EP 71. help me

'malinda7',What is the fault of your existing carburetor?If you cannot find another one don’t you like to modify the existing carburetor to a available one.I used to modify the flange of the carburetor and fix SU carburetors for many car engines.This is only a suggestion as they’re no replies for last few days.Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Malinda,

Following I got from the web I post same for your reference.

• Variable-venturi, in which the fuel jet opening is varied by the slide (which simultaneously alters air flow). In "constant depression" carburetors, this is done by a vacuum operated piston connected to a tapered needle which slides inside the fuel jet. A simpler version exists, most commonly found on small motorcycles and dirt bikes, where the slide and needle is directly controlled by the throttle position. The most common variable venturi (constant depression) type carburetor is the sidedraft SU carburetor and similar models from Hitachi, Zenith-Stromberg and other makers. The UK location of the SU and Zenith-Stromberg companies helped these carburetors rise to a position of domination in the UK car market, though such carburetors were also very widely used on Volvos and other non-UK makes. Other similar designs have been used on some European and a few Japanese automobiles. These carburetors are also referred to as "constant velocity" or "constant vacuum" carburetors. An interesting variation was Ford's VV (Variable Venturi) carburetor, which was essentially a fixed venturi carburetor with one side of the venturi hinged and movable to give a narrow throat at low rpm and a wider throat at high rpm. This was designed to provide good mixing and airflow over a range of engine speeds, though the VV carburetor proved problematic in service.

220px-HighPerformanceCarburetor.jpg

magnify-clip.pngA high performance 4-barrel carburetor.

Under all engine operating conditions, the carburetor must:

• Measure the airflow of the engine
  • Deliver the correct amount of fuel to keep the fuel/air mixture in the proper range (adjusting for factors such as temperature)
  • Mix the two finely and evenly

This job would be simple if air and gasoline (petrol) were ideal fluids; in practice, however, their deviations from ideal behavior due to viscosity, fluid drag, inertia, etc. require a great deal of complexity to compensate for exceptionally high or low engine speeds. A carburetor must provide the proper fuel/air mixture across a wide range of ambient temperatures, atmospheric pressures, engine speeds and loads, and centrifugal forces:

• Cold start
  • Hot start
  • Idling or slow-running
  • Acceleration
  • High speed / high power at full throttle
  • Cruising at part throttle (light load)

In addition, modern carburetors are required to do this while maintaining low rates of exhaust emissions.

To function correctly under all these conditions, most carburetors contain a complex set of mechanisms to support several different operating modes, called circuits.

If you can’t find a similar Carburetor as there are so many shops offering new SU Carburetors you can modify and fix a SU which is very easy to do any adjustments.

If any help is necessary please do contact me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Malinda,

At Panchikawathe Sumana motor Stores have few (SU) USED CARBUREATORS FOR SALE he says imported from UK.

PLEASE CALL THEM 2433312 2435227 Mr. Chandrapala. HE quoted me Rupees, 8500.00 this afternoon. They looks ok.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

@ Sylvi,do they still sell these new parts for Morris Minors?

i do remember seeing new badges for Minors few years back in Panchikawatte though

'carboy2011',

Contact Sumana motors they are the only people sell spares for Morris.

2433312 2435227 Mr. Chandrapala.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'carboy2011',

Contact Sumana motors they are the only people sell spares for Morris.

2433312 2435227 Mr. Chandrapala.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Now that's not true is it?Off the top of my head I can name Kurruppu motors located very near Sumana who also carry Morris spares but at much cheaper prices.Not to mention Cosmic(Iqbal),and there's Vijitha motors near the temple..It is amazing how you have not come across these vendors in your oh so many years of experience in the field OR you're blatantly lying in order to send people to shops you prefer.

Now that's not true is it?Off the top of my head I can name Kurruppu motors located very near Sumana who also carry Morris spares but at much cheaper prices.Not to mention Cosmic(Iqbal),and there's Vijitha motors near the temple..It is amazing how you have not come across these vendors in your oh so many years of experience in the field OR you're blatantly lying in order to send people to shops you prefer.

'MasterDon',

I went to Panchikawathe for some other matter. When I saw the Sumana motors I just inquired the cost of a SU carburetor.

There are number of shops who offer Morris spares I agree to your comment on your post.It was a mistake of mine to mention on my post that Sumana motors are the only who offer Morris spares.

I am not interested in commission I have enough wealth to live.

You have mentioned on your post (you're blatantly lying in order to send people to shops you prefer) Please do not accuse a person in those unwanted words.I am not a Commission Agent. I do a business do not give false information to make money any members of the forum.I always try to share my experiences and Knowledge to members of the forum.

Please note there were no reply posts for this thread for few days. Then only I replied to that post requesting him to modify the carburetor to SU.

Panchikawathe motor spares shops history I can tell you I used to go there when Colombo Municipality operated Tram ways in 1950s.

Mr. Iqbal fist started in kollupitiya Galle road. Then he shifted to R.A.De. Mel Mawatha after that he shifted to new shop in Panchikawathe.

Please note I cannot waste time going one shop to another finding cost of spares.

I only checked at the Sumana motors. To get a Quotation to inform the member.

If the member wants he himself can go to Panchikawathe find out the cheapest shop.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Anyway, why would you look at an SU thesedays? They were an OK design but always a bit flabby on pick-up from lower speeds. But you could live with that on an British engine out of the '60s. Problem now is that buying a second-hand you're likely to run into the other SU problems of worn shafts allowing air leaks, buggered up seals, and wear in the dash-pot mechanism of the carb.

If you are determined to go with an SU a 1 and a 1/2 inch carb would be about the size to go with. You'll need to check there is enough space in the engine bay for the carb because they are quite high. Also they like a low pressure fuel feed so you might need to fit a pressure reducer in the fuel lne.

It's not just the UK cars that had SUs, if you are looking for a second hand one, nose around the Volvo places too.

Me??? I'd stick with a rebuild on the OEM carburettor (is it an Aisan? lots of stuff on the net about those) or, if hard-pushed, go for a new Weber 32/36.

Anyway, why would you look at an SU thesedays? They were an OK design but always a bit flabby on pick-up from lower speeds. But you could live with that on an British engine out of the '60s. Problem now is that buying a second-hand you're likely to run into the other SU problems of worn shafts allowing air leaks, buggered up seals, and wear in the dash-pot mechanism of the carb.

If you are determined to go with an SU a 1 and a 1/2 inch carb would be about the size to go with. You'll need to check there is enough space in the engine bay for the carb because they are quite high. Also they like a low pressure fuel feed so you might need to fit a pressure reducer in the fuel lne.

It's not just the UK cars that had SUs, if you are looking for a second hand one, nose around the Volvo places too.

Me??? I'd stick with a rebuild on the OEM carburettor (is it an Aisan? lots of stuff on the net about those) or, if hard-pushed, go for a new Weber 32/36.

'Scooter',

If you go to import new Weber 32/36 Carburetor will cost over Rupees 35000/00. By Air freight and duty.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'malinda7',What is the fault of your existing carburetor?If you cannot find another one don’t you like to modify the existing carburetor to a available one.I used to modify the flange of the carburetor and fix SU carburetors for many car engines.This is only a suggestion as they’re no replies for last few days.Sylvi Wijesinghe.

What is the purpse of talking/Quoting Morris Minor SU carburator ( was a basic in 1950s) here while Malinda7 clearly stated his problem & his car ?.

Malinda

Best way to do is rebuild or repair existing Carburator as Scooter stated since other car's formula will not match to your vehicle.

Yup, Sylvi, that's about the right price. The Webers come out of Spain now which is reflected in the price. Me? With an older car like this Starlet I'd just do a rebuild on the original carbie or pick up a wrecker's one and rebuild that.

Yup, Sylvi, that's about the right price. The Webers come out of Spain now which is reflected in the price. Me? With an older car like this Starlet I'd just do a rebuild on the original carbie or pick up a wrecker's one and rebuild that.

'Scooter',

I agree to your post.

Please note this member (Mr. Malinda7) posted his post on 10th July no member response to his request for three days. The post was on down the posts.

On 13th July I send a post to find out the problem and if it is not reparable only to change to very easy to find SU Carburetor.

Thereafter the proceeds are black and white on the forum.

I am an old school Technician during the old era spares were not available like now days.

We used to modify and run vehicles. Carburetor Banda near grand pass was the only man who could do a correct repair on other complicated Carburetors other than SU. His son is there.

SU is very easy to handle. I have fitted SU Carburetors more than fifty automobiles during the good old days. Due to non availability of repair kits on other make of carburetors of Automobiles existed at that time.

All new Automobiles came to srilanka after 1977

No Automobile user want to keep his vehicle without using so we did plenty of modifications to Automobiles and industrial Machinery around the island during 1962 to 1988.Gear wheels was filled and put into use by famous Malhamy Bass from high level road Homagama. He was expert on that.

In 1940s Fan bass fitted two more blades to the radiator fan and stopped boiling of engines.

Today all Mechanics are replacing parts as they are available over the counter, they do not rebuild anything they do not possess the knowledge to do a rebuilding of apart.

I had my father’s work shop with number of Technicians we did rewinding of all dynamos, self starter armatures, Ignition coils for outboard motor boat engines, Automobiles, Motor cycle engines, Magneto Armatures. Industrial Motors, Generators. Earth moving machinery.

I am not blowing my trumpet the exposure what I have in industry will end off with me.As few more years for me to live.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Malinda,

At Panchikawathe Sumana motor Stores have few (SU) USED CARBUREATORS FOR SALE he says imported from UK.

PLEASE CALL THEM 2433312 2435227 Mr. Chandrapala. HE quoted me Rupees, 8500.00 this afternoon. They looks ok.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Realy appriciate your feed back on this. yeah i need to check with the sumana motors.

Thanks

Hi MasterDon,

yeah i need to check with them too.. thanks for the support

Hi MasterDon,

yeah i need to check with them too.. thanks for the support

Yeah ok.That post was to just correct Sylvi... I agree with scooter.Try to rebuild the original carb.I'm sure there are repair kits available on the internet.

'MasterDon',

I went to Panchikawathe for some other matter. When I saw the Sumana motors I just inquired the cost of a SU carburetor.

There are number of shops who offer Morris spares I agree to your comment on your post.It was a mistake of mine to mention on my post that Sumana motors are the only who offer Morris spares.

I am not interested in commission I have enough wealth to live.

You have mentioned on your post (you're blatantly lying in order to send people to shops you prefer) Please do not accuse a person in those unwanted words.I am not a Commission Agent. I do a business do not give false information to make money any members of the forum.I always try to share my experiences and Knowledge to members of the forum.

Please note there were no reply posts for this thread for few days. Then only I replied to that post requesting him to modify the carburetor to SU.

Panchikawathe motor spares shops history I can tell you I used to go there when Colombo Municipality operated Tram ways in 1950s.

Mr. Iqbal fist started in kollupitiya Galle road. Then he shifted to R.A.De. Mel Mawatha after that he shifted to new shop in Panchikawathe.

Please note I cannot waste time going one shop to another finding cost of spares.

I only checked at the Sumana motors. To get a Quotation to inform the member.

If the member wants he himself can go to Panchikawathe find out the cheapest shop.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Then stop saying things like "they are the only people sell spares for Morris" when you clearly know that is not true.

I urge the other members to take Sylvi's 'advice' with a grain of salt.Sometimes they're very harmful.I can safely say that my seven years of experience and my tiny income sure has taught me better than his 60+ years in the field and wealth.

Yeah ok.That post was to just correct Sylvi... I agree with scooter.Try to rebuild the original carb.I'm sure there are repair kits available on the internet.

Then stop saying things like "they are the only people sell spares for Morris" when you clearly know that is not true.

I urge the other members to take Sylvi's 'advice' with a grain of salt.Sometimes they're very harmful.I can safely say that my seven years of experience and my tiny income sure has taught me better than his 60+ years in the field and wealth.

'MasterDon',

Please read my post I have accepted my mistake.

In future read carefully and post a reply.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Blimey, it must be old folks' cars weeks! A Renault 4, no less. Probably has a Zenith or a Solex fitted, Both easy to strip out/recondition if u buy the recon kit and take it slow and easy. And I recommend a white towel on the workbench to catch all the little bits. Here's a bloke pulling a Zenith apart...they are all very much the same.

Solex is a bit trickier with diaphragms and fiddly bits.

Enjoy!

Blimey, it must be old folks' cars weeks! A Renault 4, no less. Probably has a Zenith or a Solex fitted, Both easy to strip out/recondition if u buy the recon kit and take it slow and easy. And I recommend a white towel on the workbench to catch all the little bits. Here's a bloke pulling a Zenith apart...they are all very much the same.

Solex is a bit trickier with diaphragms and fiddly bits.

Enjoy!

Thanks Scooter. :) lets see what's in here. :D