• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mistsubishi Lancer(4G11)Restoration

dingy

Have you tried the usual places in Panchikawatte? If you haven't that's the place to start. Since these parts are becoming more and more difficult to find you should also look at the option of repairing it.

Have you tried the usual places in Panchikawatte? If you haven't that's the place to start. Since these parts are becoming more and more difficult to find you should also look at the option of repairing it.

actually don is this possible....i mean the lights ?

I have never come across a place where you can re manufacture a set of lights. If we can we can even save a lot of foreign exchange..

actually don is this possible....i mean the lights ?

I have never come across a place where you can re manufacture a set of lights. If we can we can even save a lot of foreign exchange..

You can manufacture the covers rameeze, not the entire lights. To be honest you can manufacture the lights as well in fibreglass if you can find a set intact (or borrow from somebody else). This is on the assumption that it is only the plastic that need to be re manufactured and the old holders etc are still intact. And I am talking about the back and side lights here not head lights (even these can be repaired but probably not the front cover and maybe not the reflector though after reading the electro plating poast I think maybe even this is possible). Please remember while repairing light covers is relatively cheap re manufacturing a light will be a lot more expensive as you will need a artisan to make a bespoke mould, you will need an oven etc. But I know it can be done because my uncle is an artist and they create statues out of fibreglass. Now he's not into making car parts but once I twisted his arm to create a bit of plastic trim that was missing in my car using a part from the other side (he had to make a mirror copy). Needless to say he did an excellent job, but then I was family!

oh crap i forgot where... didnt someone post a pic of a shop in panchi with lots of bits and pieces hanging on the walls which included a pair of Lancer lights?

You mean this one? :)

I have to agree... the best place to start is Panchikawatta and maybe those places where they bring in old cars to be scrapped.

When I went to buy tail light lenses for my old Lancer Wagon (from Panchikawatta), I asked the guy in the shop where they were made (I was just curious) and to my amazement, he said that they were manufactured somewhere in Sri Lanka, can't exactly remember the name of the place because this was some time ago. If this place exists, I assume they will be able to fabricate a new set of lights. Hope someone else on the forum knows the place.

You mean this one? :)

I have to agree... the best place to start is Panchikawatta and maybe those places where they bring in old cars to be scrapped.

When I went to buy tail light lenses for my old Lancer Wagon (from Panchikawatta), I asked the guy in the shop where they were made (I was just curious) and to my amazement, he said that they were manufactured somewhere in Sri Lanka, can't exactly remember the name of the place because this was some time ago. If this place exists, I assume they will be able to fabricate a new set of lights. Hope someone else on the forum knows the place.

yes i recently went to panchikawatte and bought a front side ring for the light after an accident there were some shops only with the left side and some wanted about 2 weeks to come. i got one from a shop close to the commercial bank. There you can get the whole rear light set including the housing and cover for 3600++ and he said that is made in srilanka.maybe the flatlight covers are also possible. worth a try.

is your car a tube light model? if so lights are a bit tricky to buy but you can get a cover made

but please do check both the 'wattes' in panchikawatte they are bound to have fingers crossed!

please post a pic of your car

for engine parts try Hemantha motors and Colombo motors

and many other parts can be bought from Pubudu in Moult Lavinia,Nilanka in Dehiwela or Wellawatte and another joint in Ratmalana

Yes mine is a tubelight model finally i got the engine done nw i am making the rack coz there is a small play in it...

The A72 came with a steering box, so I think you mean that there's a play in the steering box. Are you repairing the same box or did you buy a new one? This is a common problem in the A72, the worm gear wears out resulting in a play.

Believe it or not, the play in my steering got so worse that there was about 90 degrees of free play in the steering. Meaning that when the car is moving straight, I could turn the steering about 45 degrees either clockwise or counterclockwise and the car would still keep going straight! :D I repaired it many times but it kept coming back. Finally I bought a recon steering box from Panchikawatta (cost me about Rs. 8000 two years back) and installed it and it was perfect after that.

So I suggest you do the same if the worm gear is badly worn out. Repairing it is just a temporary fix in my opinion.

Davy did you have a very stiff steering too i noticed that apart from the play the steering is quite stiff esp on one side compared to how it was few years back,could it be the worn out wheels and does it warrant a box replacment?

The A72 came with a steering box, so I think you mean that there's a play in the steering box. Are you repairing the same box or did you buy a new one? This is a common problem in the A72, the worm gear wears out resulting in a play.

Believe it or not, the play in my steering got so worse that there was about 90 degrees of free play in the steering. Meaning that when the car is moving straight, I could turn the steering about 45 degrees either clockwise or counterclockwise and the car would still keep going straight! :D I repaired it many times but it kept coming back. Finally I bought a recon steering box from Panchikawatta (cost me about Rs. 8000 two years back) and installed it and it was perfect after that.

So I suggest you do the same if the worm gear is badly worn out. Repairing it is just a temporary fix in my opinion.

Davy did you have a very stiff steering too i noticed that apart from the play the steering is quite stiff esp on one side compared to how it was few years back,could it be the worn out wheels and does it warrant a box replacment?

Yes, the stiffness is quite normal. It was stiff even after the box replacement. I can't count the number of times I thought of doing a power steering conversion, mainly because of the effort that had to be put into the steering alone; but I held back because it was part of the fun of driving this car.

In your case, are the ball joints and everything properly greased? Part of the stiffness is due to badly greased ball joints. Plus the steering box has to be filled totally with gear oil. Start there because these are simple points that contribute to a stiff steering.

As for the play, you will have to take the steering box apart to check if the worm gear and the bearings are worn out. If you can get away with replacing just the bearings, you're lucky. Else you'll have to repair the worm gear (which I do not recommend), or buy a recon steering box as I have mentioned in my previous post.

My steering box is oka...the tire rods are gone.....i bought a brand new steering box from japan about 3 years ago coz my dads a flies for sri lankan so i bought it with him....the problem i hv is that whn u jump 50 the whole car starts to wobble today my mechanic took the rods to panchikawatte to get it done...

My steering box is oka...the tire rods are gone.....i bought a brand new steering box from japan about 3 years ago coz my dads a flies for sri lankan so i bought it with him....the problem i hv is that whn u jump 50 the whole car starts to wobble today my mechanic took the rods to panchikawatte to get it done...

Half your steering problems are solved since you have a brand new steering box. I checked with Unit3d M0t0rs before going for the recon box and they quoted 40,000 LKR (that's a few years back) plus a few weeks of waiting time. Consider yourself lucky.

anyone knows wher i can an original 4G33 rotor. i went to tune my car with dhammika fernando in cotta road. he did a superb job but told me that my rotor is short...car runs ok at least to what I feel...but still would like to get it original as possible.

Does the cup of the distributor indicate an arrow as to which way the distributor turns....i remember a mechanic telling me that my distributor turns the opposite from the arrow. i am a but puzzled.

dingy your engine is an orion or saturn?