• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Consumption With A\c

myfirstcar

Question

Hi Guys,

am very new to this forum & new to the automobile ares. my knwoledge on this area is very low.

i have a Fb 14 manual with a automatic air condition. recently i did a random check up how the outcome of fuel kmpl. when am using the car with ac Ac in 17(maximum & fan speed 1 or 2) car is giving very low kmpl. but when swtched it to around 24,25 & fan speed 1-2 it's giving some # like 12kmpl. am not using this car for everyday. running only 50-100 km per month.

guys is this a normal situation? or am having a issue on my car? or what is the best method to use the aircondition?

your advices are welcome.

Thank you.

6 answers to this question

Running the AC at its coldest setting makes the AC compressor work hard to maintain an impractical temperature in our local climate. The difference you see when you leave it at 24-25 is because the AC compressor is working to maintain the temp at a more manageable level.

A lot of people run their ACs at 18 to keep the car cool, but all it does is run the compressor constantly hence use up more fuel. 23-25 is an ideal temp that keeps you comfy as well.

If your car AC has an ECON function use that, if you are worried about the fuel.

Fan Speed is personal preference. I keep it at 24 and the fan speed at it's lowest speed unless situation demands it.

Nothing is wrong with your car as far as you have explained.

• Like 4

Running the AC at its coldest setting makes the AC compressor work hard to maintain an impractical temperature in our local climate. The difference you see when you leave it at 24-25 is because the AC compressor is working to maintain the temp at a more manageable level.

A lot of people run their ACs at 18 to keep the car cool, but all it does is run the compressor constantly hence use up more fuel. 23-25 is an ideal temp that keeps you comfy as well.

If your car AC has an ECON function use that, if you are worried about the fuel.

Fan Speed is personal preference. I keep it at 24 and the fan speed at it's lowest speed unless situation demands it.

Nothing is wrong with your car as far as you have explained.

+1. I couldn't have explained it any better.

<p>if you are driving only 100kms for a month..why worry about kmpl figures???</p>

Exactly the thing I was wondering. You don't planning to buy a Prius right? Do you? :)

On the topic, is the 12kmpl you are getting on city? If so, it's pretty ok.

No for outsation driving am getting that.

Aha, just saw its an FB14. (What was I thinking)

Mate, I think you should satisfy with 12 too. I think that car is known for doing low kmpls. Also look at some Prius/ Insight videos how their gauges assist the driver to obtain maximum fuel economy. Apply some of these and you should be able to get 13.