• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Option For 2.2 Mill And Under (Aug 2012)

Djay

Hi Guys,

Looking for a vehicle under 2.2 million, that won't give me trouble (2001 and newer preferred). I'm also partial to hatchbacks. Should have decent fuel economy (10 per ltr +)

I was sort of looking at options like Suzuki Swift (the older model) and the Chevrolet Cruz. Don't like the Nissan March.

What will the community recommend?

(I know this topic exist in the forums, but can't seem to find something that's more current and relevant to my needs)

Thank you.

if you're to hatchback .

Mazda familiya bj5p hatch comes under your budget which is best looking for me rather than your two options.saw few

of themi up for sale on h:tad and AL Classifieds too. i 've not used one so i can't comment on fuel , but it'll do around 10+ i guess.

Same japanese rule of thumb applies for mazda as well.ignore the comments from average sri lankan folks.

Specify your requirements more, there'll be lot of choices under your bracket.

Have a good buy

Hi Guys,

Looking for a vehicle under 2.2 million, that won't give me trouble (2001 and newer preferred). I'm also partial to hatchbacks. Should have decent fuel economy (10 per ltr +)

I was sort of looking at options like Suzuki Swift (the older model) and the Chevrolet Cruz. Don't like the Nissan March.

What will the community recommend?

(I know this topic exist in the forums, but can't seem to find something that's more current and relevant to my needs)

Thank you.

try to find a toyota vitz old model or toyota passo you can probably find a 2004 one for your budget.

if you're to hatchback .

Mazda familiya bj5p hatch comes under your budget which is best looking for me rather than your two options.saw few

it's not bj5p it's bj5w the bj5p is sedan frame number and bj5w is the hatchback frame number.

Swift/Cruze is good. You can also get a Viva Elite with agents warranty for that budget. If you are not the 'mainstream' type, I always recommend Fiat Punto or a facelifted Peugeot 307. Punto will be the best on fuel efficiency (around 14-15 to the litre), Swift should do around 12.

Used a friends Chevrolet Cruz for couple of weeks after parting with my Mondeo :(. It does around 11 - 12 in the city and 14+ outstation. But mind you this is terribly uncomfortable. I dont know compared to any other Japanese but feels like im travelling in a tuk tuk.

I would recommend a 206 or 307 as nice cars to drive,

If you'r into mainstream the cruze is a good bet, it's basialy a box swift with more decorations.

Although you don't like it,

The march been cheap to maintain and it's ability to withstand a beating may compensate for it's low economy for low fuel figures of about 9kmpl in the city.

Thanks guys, great info. I think I will add the 307 and the Punto into the shortlist.

A couple of follow up questions, What's the second-hand market for these two? and what would be the latest Punto that would fit my budget? I don't want to get something that is trash in a couple of years in the second hand market.

The important thing to note is these cars have already depreciated by a significant amount. So its highly unlikely that u will end up losing a lot when you sell it. For example, Puntos were sold as Brand New at 3.5million+ mark during 2007, but now they are going at around 2.3million range. You can get a 2007 one for about 2.2 - 2.3. But you need to be patient whenever you sell a Euro. Also the key is to find one in very good condition.

I owned a Punto sometime back, which I sold because my better half couldnt get used to the dualogic gear system. I actually sold it for slightly higher than what I spent for it.

Most of the Grand Puntos are still one owner and some are low mileage. YoM is 2006 or 7. Price for petrol ones are between 2.0m-2.5m (some have high spec like 17" Alloys and Skyview glass roof, premium stereo etc). Diesels 1.3 Mjet goes for between 2.8m-3.5m. The Diesels are the pick of the range if you can stretch your budget. More power and a lot more torque.

They are very comfy and you feel like you are driving a bigger car. The only annoyance for me is the duologic gearbox which isn't as smooth as an automatic. But you soon get used to it. In the diesel it feels smoother maybe because they are newer or maybe the extra torque masks the step up and down. You can always use it as a manual though.

Reliability issues - The biggest problem is the duo logic gearbox. However the good news is it is very easy to fix and not costly. One car I know had a steering rack issue and it was a bit pricey to replace. Normal service parts like filters and brake pads are comparable to genuine Japanese parts and sometimes even cheaper. The expensive parts are things like headlamps and body parts. However if you are fulling insured........

• Like 1

Most of the Grand Puntos are still one owner and some are low mileage. YoM is 2006 or 7. Price for petrol ones are between 2.0m-2.5m (some have high spec like 17" Alloys and Skyview glass roof, premium stereo etc). Diesels 1.3 Mjet goes for between 2.8m-3.5m. The Diesels are the pick of the range if you can stretch your budget. More power and a lot more torque.

They are very comfy and you feel like you are driving a bigger car. The only annoyance for me is the duologic gearbox which isn't as smooth as an automatic. But you soon get used to it. In the diesel it feels smoother maybe because they are newer or maybe the extra torque masks the step up and down. You can always use it as a manual though.

Reliability issues - The biggest problem is the duo logic gearbox. However the good news is it is very easy to fix and not costly. One car I know had a steering rack issue and it was a bit pricey to replace. Normal service parts like filters and brake pads are comparable to genuine Japanese parts and sometimes even cheaper. The expensive parts are things like headlamps and body parts. However if you are fulling insured........

I suspect the insurers probably won't cover the cost of parts 100% for a 5 year old vehicle but they should be cheap to source from Europe.

Can you get the Punto as a conventional manual or is the dualogic the only option available?

Can you get the Punto as a conventional manual or is the dualogic the only option available?

Euro Motors imported only Duologic ones (both petrol and diesel). But there are a handful of UK-sourced (recon) conventional manual Grande Puntos around. Finding one for sale would be as easy as finding a needle on a haystack.

@GTAm - When u mentioned about fixing duologic gearboxes, I presume you are talking about ITMC guys?

Edited by Crosswind

I suspect the insurers probably won't cover the cost of parts 100% for a 5 year old vehicle but they should be cheap to source from Europe.

Yes if you can get hold of a breaker that should be a cheap source.

Only two manual ones were imported by Euro Motors. They are two door 16v ones with 6 speed manual boxes, 17" alloys and glass roof. I see the orange one often but not seen the red one since it left the showroom.

I did not know that there were UK imports of GPs.