• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Powersteering Issue - Pls Assist

tilvin

Hi Friends,

The car I have is Toyota Corona - old model, which originally came with powersteering. The issue I had was, in mornings the steering would be really very easy to turn and will not whine. But when you run car for 10 minutes, the steering gets really hard to turn and whines. But when you accelerate to 2000 rpm it gets little easy but whines become louder when turning. Our technician aadvised me to change the powersteering pump and all hoses. I told Ok and he replaced pump and all hoses. But still same issue. In the morning it is very easy to turn in 1000 RPM, but when car gets hot, it is really hard to turn. But as I checked there are NO oil leaks. Now our technician asked to change the power steering rack and shock absorbers. What shall I do? Is there any powersteering oil cooling units in old Japanese vehicles?

My car model is Toyota Corona ST150.

Tks,

Tilvin

shock absorbers change for a steering issue seriously, got to a new garage mate.

Sounds like a pump failure or a belt slip to me.

Most likely a belt slip cause of the symptoms you mentioned, when components like the belt heats up they expand and especially if the belt is also worn out it can slip, that might explain the "hard to steer after some time" syndrome.

BTW does it make a squealing sound like "kraaaaaaaaaaaasssss" when you turn the steering wheel ?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for assisting. There are no squealing sound when turning. But in the morning it is very easy to turn in 1000 RPM at idle. But when the car gets warm, the pump starting to whine when turning and steering gets really hard around 1000 RPM at idle and when you accelerate to 2000 RPM it gets little easy but the whining sound gets louder.

Power steering fluid is STR brand red colour one.

Is there any PS fluid cooler system or idle up in the power steering units in these model vehicles?

Thanks for the assistance. Is there any viscosity range I need to check when buying the power steering oil? For example engine oils like Castrol GTX 20W50? Because when temp increases, it gets harder, shall I buy a higher viscosity one?

Thanks for the assistance. Is there any viscosity range I need to check when buying the power steering oil? For example engine oils like Castrol GTX 20W50? Because when temp increases, it gets harder, shall I buy a higher viscosity one?

No. Just ask for Dexron III. Like VVTI said, get a good brand. STR is the crap that you can find at the hardware store down the block

• Like 1

Engine oil and PS fluid are two different things. Your car considering its age will take Dextron 3. DOnt put anything else inside the fluid reservoir, and don't let any maka baas do it also.

STR is a crappy locally bottled horse piss that si pretending to be a good oil

Don't cut corners with your oils and fluids machang. You will end up having to replace the pump and rack again if the seals are busted.

• Like 2

Yes. I do understand. The issue was my technician misleaded me that STR was the best powersteering oil suited for old Japanese vehicles.

The very first day I saw a product of STR at Arpico Super Market , I though it is STP famous brand as both logos look very similar. After I checked the bottle I realized the truth.

Your makabas also might thinking that both are same. :)

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

The very first day I saw a product of STR at Arpico Super Market , I though it is STP famous brand as both logos looks very similar. After I check the bottle I realized the truth.

Your makabas also might thinking that it is same.

Same here!

STR is made for people like this guy's maka baas... ;)

STR sells crappy oil, maka baas uses STR, ruins racks, customer buys new rack, pays maka baas money, he puts STR again, STR sells crappy oil, ruins rack... it goes on and on.

In teh STR owner is rich, maka baas is rich, poor customer is walking.

• Like 1

STR is made for people like this guy's maka baas... ;)

STR sells crappy oil, maka baas uses STR, ruins racks, customer buys new rack, pays maka baas money, he puts STR again, STR sells crappy oil, ruins rack... it goes on and on.

In teh STR owner is rich, maka baas is rich, poor customer is walking.

Buahahaaha, though I remember you telling that you bought a STR upholstry cleaner or something sometime back and the results were great :P

Buahahaaha, though I remember you telling that you bought a STR upholstry cleaner or something sometime back and the results were great :P

There is a difference between a product you use to clean the outside and what you pour into an engine. STR interior cleaning stuff, especially their fabric cleaners are good. There is a reason why Caltex or Mobil do not produce much interior cleaning stuff.

We drained out all the oil and poured Caltex Powersteering Oil. But still the same. Mornings it is very easy. But when the car heats up the steering getting tighten and starting to whine loud.

Err no one said the issue will be fixed if you change the oil, the damage has been done now. What they said was not to use cheap oil in the future to prevent more issues. For this matter you will have to do it the hard way and find the part thats causing the problem.