• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help Choosing A Car

Nishan.dj

Question

Hello friends,

I need a help choosing a car and I normally have less knowledge about cars which I have a 4DR5 at the moment. I would thankful if you can post something for this post. My requirement as below,

1. Budget is less than 1 Million (6-7 would be better because then I will have some extra to use for the modifications & repairs)

2. Must have AC & PS

3. Travel long distance - must be economical

4. Must be easy to drive

5. I think patrol one will be better than diesel but please advice...

6. Less trouble and high availability of spare parts is a must since It may need some repairs...

7. Less maintenance cost

Thanks to Saturn I read this post and is very helpful. What I really want is to buy one without going for a lease or so. and something like this will make me learn lots of stuff about repairing and maintenance too. Thanks so much in advance and appreciate your reply on this.

Edited by Nishan.dj

18 answers to this question

My first suggestion would be to ignore the so-called 'resale value' if you are going for a car in that budget. If you are concerned about resale value, you will end up getting a 30-year old piece of scrap metal.

Search the classifieds for the following. They generally go around 1 million or less (and meet all your requirements):

Suzuki Cultus

Suzuki Baleno (if you are really really lucky)

Daihatsu Mira

Perodua Kancil

Suzuki Alto (circa 1998)

Peugeot 306

Edited by Crosswind

Hello friends,

I need a help choosing a car and I normally have less knowledge about cars which I have a 4DR5 at the moment. I would thankful if you can post something for this post. My requirement as below,

1. Budget is less than 1 Million (6-7 would be better because then I will have some extra to use for the modifications & repairs)

2. Must have AC & PS

4. Must be easy to drive

6. Less trouble and high availability of spare parts is a must since It may need some repairs...

7. Less maintenance cost

Thanks to Saturn I read this post and is very helpful. What I really want is to buy one without going for a lease or so. and something like this will make me learn lots of stuff about repairing and maintenance too. Thanks so much in advance and appreciate your reply on this.

while reading your post it reminds me, Toyota DX Ke 72, Corona AT 150, Trad sunny HB12.

Toyota DX wiil be in the Top of the list for me. What about EE96 SW ?

1. Budget is less than 1 Million (6-7 would be better because then I will have some extra to use for the modifications & repairs) = 2. Must have AC & PS

4. Must be easy to drive

7. Less maintenance cost

Edited by maheshw

And trad sunny ..

Reasons for suggestion.

Rock solid built quality, comes with full options.and the the shape that never get old.can find well maintained specimen , common car so spares are easy.reliable and finally you can sell the thing without a loss since it comes from a country called japan and has a badge called nissan, which sri lankan average folks love.if you're about , try a full light model with full option and 1.5 engine.Definitely comes inside your bracket and get a well maintained one.just forget about the 1 - 2 year differences of manufacture and the registration number .most important is the well maintained sample.

My first suggestion would be to ignore the so-called 'resale value' if you are going for a car in that budget. If you are concerned about resale value, you will end up getting a 30-year old piece of scrap metal.

Search the classifieds for the following. They generally go around 1 million or less (and meet all your requirements):

Suzuki Cultus

Suzuki Baleno (if you are really really lucky)

Daihatsu Mira

Perodua Kancil

Suzuki Alto (circa 1998)

Peugeot 306

Thanks Crosswind. You have listed many and many thanks for that. Would you kindly reply in what way you have ordered it? I mean based on price? based on functionality or any other? Thanks so much for the response.

Edited by Nishan.dj

And trad sunny ..

Reasons for suggestion.

Rock solid built quality, comes with full options.and the the shape that never get old.can find well maintained specimen , common car so spares are easy.reliable and finally you can sell the thing without a loss since it comes from a country called japan and has a badge called nissan, which sri lankan average folks love.if you're about , try a full light model with full option and 1.5 engine.Definitely comes inside your bracket and get a well maintained one.just forget about the 1 - 2 year differences of manufacture and the registration number .most important is the well maintained sample.

Thanks for the reply. Would you reply why you have mentioned "try a full light model with full option and 1.5 engine"? Does full light means the back lights isn't it? And What difference will those make? thanks.

Thanks Schiffer. I searched and it is true. So have you had any experience of using one of these? Anything to advice? Thanks.

i haven't had personal experience with this car.

but do have a friend who had one of these, but unfortunately i can't give a good opinion of it since his one was fully race modified when when i got to know him

but he did told me, before he modified it, the car was highly reliable and did around 10 kmpl and haven't given him much trouble.

Others i would suggest are AT150 Corona and Toyota Carina Station Wagon

Thanks Crosswind. You have listed many and many thanks for that. Would you kindly reply in what way you have ordered it? I mean based on price? based on functionality or any other? Thanks so much for the response.

No particular order. Just in the order which came to my mind. However, I didn't want to mention obvious choices like Corollas, Sunnys and Lancers due to the simple fact that you will most probably find ones which have been on the road for much longer and finding a well maintained specimen is easier said than done.

Thanks for the reply. Would you reply why you have mentioned "try a full light model with full option and 1.5 engine"? Does full light means the back lights isn't it? And What difference will those make? thanks.

full light means the continous tail lights on backs.nothing more but some cosmetic difference.

1.5 engine because 1.3 is underpowerd according to some people.

It's better now you decide a car and then ask members for experiences.

Thanks to all, I think its the Trad Sunny or Toyota Corona which will be better to go for. But I am not aware of what would be better among these two. So Could anyone has experience on any of those two post something regarding

"

2. Must have AC & PS

3. Travel long distance

4. must be economical

4. Must be easy to drive

7. Less maintenance cost

"

Thanks.

I have used a Trad Sunny long before(In 1997) and It was a very nice car never gave major problems during my usage about 2 years. My one was not equipped with power steering but there are some models you get PS. My one was 1300cc but I think 1500cc version is better.You could find a good shape one below 8 lacks I beleive. You can find ample spare parts and maitenance is not difficult and did about 11 km/Lt in Colombo (In modarate traffic)

I have used a Trad Sunny long before(In 1997) and It was a very nice car never gave major problems during my usage about 2 years. My one was not equipped with power steering but there are some models you get PS. My one was 1300cc but I think 1500cc version is better.You could find a good shape one below 8 lacks I beleive. You can find ample spare parts and maitenance is not difficult and did about 11 km/Lt in Colombo (In modarate traffic)

Thanks for the post. Will it get much difference on 1300cc vs 1500cc? Anyway as chan5 mentioned, 1.3 is under-powered. Anyway pls post of you got any info about the car.. Thanks.

Between those two, I'll pick Trad Sunny anytime. Do your own research (rather than relying on hearsay) about spare parts availability before committing to buy one.

Not sure exactly how it will perform at 'long distance travel' and 'trouble-free use', as it is good 20+ years on Sri Lankan roads. I guess only experience will tell that.

Thanks for the post. Will it get much difference on 1300cc vs 1500cc? Anyway as chan5 mentioned, 1.3 is under-powered. Anyway pls post of you got any info about the car.. Thanks.

hi,

1500c 5FWd is good in fuel+power. just go through the below link.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/12977-trad-sunny-different-versions/page__hl__%2Btrad+%2Bsunny

Good Luck.