• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius

MIBSriLanka

Look, Madz, just coz this moron can't keep straight who was insulting him by saying what, and wanting to fantasize about what I do with my friends rather than concentrating on what he needs to be doing...

You can't blame people when the guy bends over and begs for a whipping so blatantly. I'm barely restraining myself here.

Look, Madz, just coz this moron can't keep straight who was insulting him by saying what, and wanting to fantasize about what I do with my friends rather than concentrating on what he needs to be doing...

You can't blame people when the guy bends over and begs for a whipping so blatantly. I'm barely restraining myself here.

Peri , just because of one person we cannot let the forum standards go down. If you really need to put the hidden posts back on-line I suggest moving them to a separate thread and continue rather than discussing under this thread as it's OT.

okay.. Have a question for prius boys.

one of the head light bulb of my neighbors prius is not working.

he told me, that he asked toyota lanka and they quoted 45k for the bulb..

they have told that it has sensors and what not inside...

and in ebay it was 8k to bring it down without shipping.

he was asking weather its possible to do a HID conversion to it??

i mean the local chinese ones available here??

Now this is one really good reason why one should not buy a Prius(or any other Hybrid) at this pint of time in Sri Lanka. You may never know what not part has a sensor in it. In another horror story of a Hybrid I heard, a certain AC related sensor replacement had costed 300,000 for diagnosis, part and labor in a Honda Insight. Furthermore insurance premiums are also higher due to very high cost of inverter damage replacement during a front collission. This is why I did not end up buying a Prius 3rd generation.

The Prius probably has intelligent headlights with light sensors, which will make the lights come on automatically when its dark. An HID conversion is possible but what is the point? See if some hot shot in SL can find a way of replacing just the bulb rather than the entire unit (if it has a bulb).

The Prius probably has intelligent headlights with light sensors, which will make the lights come on automatically when its dark. An HID conversion is possible but what is the point? See if some hot shot in SL can find a way of replacing just the bulb rather than the entire unit (if it has a bulb).

yeap agreed with that.

and another prius owner that i know (the assistant manager of my collage) was complaining that the headlights suddenly switch off at night.

can this be due to a fault of the sensors?

Machan the newer "clean diesels" like the jetta actually get far better KMPLs than hybrids and don't sacrifice power for fuel efficency. They don't require battery pack changes either and are a whole lot cleaner than the older diesels, actually. It's actually just as clean as a petrol allion. As always someone here picks something up and thinks it's a magical development. Truth be told if they would reduce the tax on new diesels we would all save quite a bit on fuel, not to mention the saved foreign exchange...

I thought Diesel is more dearer than petrol due to higher refining costs. Since the farmers, trucks, and public transport depend more on Diesel, while petrol is used mostly by motorcycles and cars (symbols of luxury), Govt decided to structure the pricing accordingly so that lesser burden falls on the poor sections of the society. As a result, Diesel was priced lesser and the deduction in its price was subsequently added to the price of petrol. So Diesel (and Kerosene) is highly subsidized and the brunt falls on petrol. Your thoughts please.

Edited by Quixtar77

I thought Diesel is more dearer than petrol due to higher refining costs. Since the farmers, trucks, and public transport depend more on Diesel, while petrol is used mostly by motorcycles and cars (symbols of luxury), Govt decided to structure the pricing accordingly so that lesser burden falls on the poor sections of the society. As a result, Diesel was priced lesser and the deduction in its price was subsequently added to the price of petrol. So Diesel (and Kerosene) is highly subsidized and the brunt falls on petrol. Your thoughts please.

my thoughts: you need to check thee date of the post you are replying to.

You all have different opinion about Toyota Prius car. all are welcome. You are forgotten plus points of Toyota Prius Hybrid already sold more than 2.5 Million units in more than 70 countries worldwide. They cannot sell so many units if so many millions in world are dump ass and not smart as you guys. I am not a prius owner but i drove 3rd generation car few times. no prius owner downgrade the car after start using few days. I met few prius owners when i took my car for service and all are very much happy about their car. one guy doing tourism said he previously owned allion and after took his prius he is even more happier than allion and he was very proud about his car. (that guy had basic silver color 3rd gen prius car). my next car is definitely a toyota prius 3rd generation but still its not affordable to my budget.

There are three categories of mentality i identified

1. pople who are jealous of prius owner and who spend less than half they spend at patrol sheds

2. car owners who cannot afford to buy an new car and criticize some revolutionary product coming to market (but of course they buy prius or insight if they can afford)

3. people who think they are pundits and nobody else does know much as them and whatever they do or believe is correct

Finally if millions are existing owners and millions of future hybrid owners are smarter as some people in this forum (above three categories) all car makers will shut down they hybrid production lines and you pundits will be recruited to develop next generation bull cart

You all have different opinion about Toyota Prius car. all are welcome. You are forgotten plus points of Toyota Prius Hybrid already sold more than 2.5 Million units in more than 70 countries worldwide. They cannot sell so many units if so many millions in world are dump ass and not smart as you guys. I am not a prius owner but i drove 3rd generation car few times. no prius owner downgrade the car after start using few days. I met few prius owners when i took my car for service and all are very much happy about their car. one guy doing tourism said he previously owned allion and after took his prius he is even more happier than allion and he was very proud about his car. (that guy had basic silver color 3rd gen prius car). my next car is definitely a toyota prius 3rd generation but still its not affordable to my budget.

1. pople who are jealous of prius owner and who spend less than half they spend at patrol sheds

2. car owners who cannot afford to buy an new car and criticize some revolutionary product coming to market (but of course they buy prius or insight if they can afford)

3. people who think they are pundits and nobody else does know much as them and whatever they do or believe is correct

Finally if millions are existing owners and millions of future hybrid owners are smarter as some people in this forum (above three categories) all car makers will shut down they hybrid production lines and you pundits will be recruited to develop next generation bull cart

Dude most Prius's were sold in developed countries with 5 year warranties and after sales service. That is the element that is lacking here. And if you haven't noticed most cars in Sri Lanka are kept on the road using OEM or duplicate spares as the originals are beyond what most people can afford. Hybrid parts are amongst the most expensive of any car and they cost more than most cars when they break down (my source is warranty direct UK).

And you are entitled to your opinion, but kindly don't try to come here and stink the forum with your verbal diarrhoea when you haven't even had the gutts to put your money where your mouth is.

The key point most people have been trying to highlight is total cost of ownership vs fuel economy + cost of acquisition. There can be a difference between the two. The jury is still out there.

• Like 2

FIDIOT... :)

1. pople who are jealous of prius owner and who spend less than half they spend at patrol sheds - Bitch please... no one here is jealous of prius owners... at least i think so.. and i am not.. as i said time and time again i wouldnt piss on a prius to take out a fire.....

2. car owners who cannot afford to buy an new car and criticize some revolutionary product coming to market (but of course they buy prius or insight if they can afford) - i rather doubt this is true either.. if people want a car they will buy it... and if they have the money they will not buy a prius at least until the cost of ownership goes down.. well atleast the wise amongst us... me personally i wouldnt drive a hybrid until i am forced to do so..

3. people who think they are pundits and nobody else does know much as them and whatever they do or believe is correct - to each his own.. these are opinions.. take it or leave it.. no one cares...

• Like 2

Almost correct. Its not "nobody else", we do think there are some other people who know as much too. But by and large, the world is populated by a bunch of idiots. Thats why Apple is so successful, they identified that most people are idiots (thats why they didn't buy Apples computers) so they made their ipods and iphones as idiot proof as possible, so naturally, it was a huge success.

Or much easier, hold a mirror in front of your face and gaze into it deeply.

And who made you the moderator may I ask?

LOL!! Well I didn't know there will be so much of complaints about the Prius!

I hope that you do a full review of a Toyota Prius once you get the opportunity to do the Motorque programme again.

@ramithad: The question that many fair-minded regular motorists in Sri Lanka have is not whether 3rd generation Prius is a good car but wether it's the right time to buy one in Sri Lanka yet due to availability and prices of parts and reasonably priced labor.

@Don: I don't think that the sensor that turns on master front light automatically is an integral part of the bulb. Our previous Cefiro had this feature too and I remember replacing only the bulb seperately for pennies. Furthermore if that is indeed the sensor that has gone busted in this instance then I suppose the cost free work-around is to move the master light switch away from auto mode to manual.

• 1 month later...