• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Egr Valve And Use Of Euro3 Standard Petrol For Pajero Io

Y3K

Rumesh, the only issue now is that anomaly should have been detected by the ECU but it hasn't. Also the local agents have modified some values in the TPS and Electronic throttle to essentially advance the idle to acceptable levels. Because the electronic elements are not reporting a fault, one would suspect the issue might be mechanical. Either way you can normally source a throttle body with both those sensors attached which might be the way to test this theory. Problem is these things don't come cheap and if it doesn't fix the problem the owner might end up wasting a lot of money.

I also suspect a loose connection or a faulty connector somewhere....... but this should normally trigger the check engine light..... Also important to note the OPs car has not been maintained well. He has all sorts of problems with suspension etc. So some previous fix by a makabass who has altered something can't be ruled out.

Yes dear you are right it is a lot of money to replace the whole body. That is why I have given a method to test the TPS. However, as you say if there is something wrong with TPS it should have given out a fault code. Now there are two outputs from TPS to the ECU ie Channel 1 and Channel 2. Both of these signals provide the same information for redundancy purpose, but levels are not the same for a given throttle position. ECU take both the readings and compare for deviations and if they deviate by a substantial amount then it gives a fault code. Since it is a mechanical device you may get some deviations which are within the limit of the ECU but can cause slight problems in performance (Hypothesis!). What I do not know is the method used by the ECU to determine which channel to use at a given moment and and to select the faulty one. Once the faulty one is selected ECU ignores it and use the correct one with a CEL signal. This ensures redundancy under normal operation.

• 5 years later...

I have a 1998 Pajero IO GDI. I had the worlds own problems getting it to idle in traffic. 

Ended up doing two mods.

1 a 1/4" dia bypass line around the throttle body. I did play with different sized restrictions but settled on 1/4".  

2 there is a throttle valve stop adjustment screw down behind the TPS. Hard to get to & adjust. I screwed mine in about 1/2 turn. After doing this I found the TPS adjustment to be critical.
Finally added a can of Mag1 total fuel system cleaner to a full tank of fuel. 

Happy with it now & has to be the smoothest car ever.

Edited by Le0n