• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Banded Steel Wheels

67Dodge

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried their hand at banded steel wheels? DIY or otherwise? all ive heard are rumors of a rumor that ppl here have done it & i would like to know more info before i jump in on a project like this.

'67Dodge',

Do you want to do as business.

There is one establishment engaged on maintaining alloy wheels.

I don't think to my knowledge any one is on banded steel wheels.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

They seem to be quite nice now that i have checked some pics. Wonder if anyone here can do a decent job on it or you will have a really out of balance wheel.

'NZer',

As you mention on your post, wheel balancing is very important on those wheels after the welding.

It was good old days people used do this I can remember one old lathe man on Darly road opposite St Josephs College used to use do this.

His name was Seebeth, He and my father had worked to gether in RASC during WW1. He is no more in this world. He used to do it on his lathe and electric weld then the vehicle wheels with a same gauge steel sheet plate jointed to gather on the lathe so that the tire edge get fitted will not alter.

I don't think he knew it was necessary to balance he knew to keep the correct wheel rims ends in line that was also after doing few wheels owners had complained unusual wastage on tires.He told this to me as a trade secret after trial and error jobs which he found. After that he corrected the wheel edges there were no unusual wastage of tires

Then drivers did not drive fast. Today with improved Roads in S L high speed vehicles it very necessary to follow your advise of balancing the modern way by Tig Welding the wheel.

All wheels in S L I think are imported. Good project for 67Dodge to start. Because lot of young vehicle owners will like to have them fitted in their vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

thanks for the info Sylvi,

no im not looking into this as a business venture. getting a TIG/MIG unit just for this as a DIY project is also not feasable. im looking at the possibility of carefully ARC welding the rims instead. balancing can be done after the work is completed. its the weld strength & penetraton that im worried about. also im pretty sure i may need to do a dye penetrant test just for peace of mind. still, its looking more & more like a worthwhile project for someone with unused steels rims around.

thanks for the info Sylvi,

no im not looking into this as a business venture. getting a TIG/MIG unit just for this as a DIY project is also not feasable. im looking at the possibility of carefully ARC welding the rims instead. balancing can be done after the work is completed. its the weld strength & penetraton that im worried about. also im pretty sure i may need to do a dye penetrant test just for peace of mind. still, its looking more & more like a worthwhile project for someone with unused steels rims around.

'67Dodge',

TIG/MIG WELDING is very necessary for this project, as now vehicle wheels are with small wheels and they do turn much higher speeds than older vehicles.They had had mostly 15,16,17, wheels tires were freely not available for them during the WW2 War days in Then Ceylon so most motorists used to mody for a freely available tire. I remember the center plate welded to some wheel rims.

At that time TIG/MIG welding was not available in our country. You can do a try on electric welding at very low amperage so that it will not have much distortion do it on both sides and grind same down to a perfect finish

The vehicle rims. After finishing you can do the balancing on a wheel balancing machine because balancing machines are available in so many tire service stations

Give try on one wheel and see how successful if you like you can discuss this mater with me I will give my contact number to you as I too are interested how the finish product will be.

I think jeep modifiers’ do this here for bigger wheels at Rajagiriya to words IDH junction if you visit to them you will get some knowledge how do they do same.

2573690/071222420. You can contact me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Having wider rims also means wider tyres and additional costs isn't is Sylvy.

'NZer',

I think 1 inch wider can use the same existing tire any thing more that wider new tire

Yes you have to change the tire with additional cost as for your post.

Some alloy wheels are little wider more than 1 inch but still tire sellers recommend to use same old tire. To sell their alloy wheels.

The owner will not know the problems on driving at high speeds.Without using the correct tire for alloys he is going to change.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'67Dodge',

Give try on one wheel and see how successful if you like you can discuss this mater with me I will give my contact number to you as I too are interested how the finish product will be.

I think jeep modifiers’ do this here for bigger wheels at Rajagiriya to words IDH junction if you visit to them you will get some knowledge how do they do same.

2573690/071222420. You can contact me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

i started on the project over the weekend, lets see how it turns out. i will add pics on the progress.

• 4 weeks later...

ok 2nd try, my starting point is this, 8"x15" donor rims which im hoping to turn into 10"x15"

post-48987-0-27625400-1350967775_thumb.j

splitting the rim & removing the center section

post-48987-0-24946900-1350967886_thumb.j

post-48987-0-08226400-1350968000_thumb.j

post-48987-0-43582900-1350967962_thumb.j

more pics on the welded sections later.

as for cost, my target is to do the entire thing for less than 20k. This step was ~5k, keep in mind the donor rims were free.

The parts all laid out before welding up.

post-48987-0-85713600-1351134927_thumb.j

her is a shot of the 1st rim after welding it back up. its now 10"x15", only the centers need to be attached, havent decided yet if im gonna weld it or have it bolted.

post-48987-0-96150900-1351135081_thumb.j

need to clean it up & do a Dye-penetrant test, & i shoud be good to go.

her is a shot of the 1st rim after welding it back up. its now 10"x15", only the centers need to be attached, havent decided yet if im gonna weld it or have it bolted.

Looks good so far.

I'm a little concerned about the balance of the wheels going haywire after this has been done. You would have to grind the extra metal from the welding and test the rims thoroughly to determine if they are in perfece balance (and not warped). Any special way of doing this?

'67Dodge',

I hope my comment on your project, You will not misunderstand. All members should appreciate for your effort to document the entire process.

Their is a small suggestion from me as for welding I think you should run directly with out stopping Continuous welding with enough current to weld that means low amperage then low heat will be generated and give a better finish. Also no air bubbles like small holes

My memories goes back to few decades I remember when Sapugaskanda Oil refinery came up the oil tanks were welded by that method the machine used to run around the tank with continues welding and operator is seated on the welding machine, there is a welding inspector inspecting behind for quality of the welded joint every inch with special equipment. I used to do their Electrical motor Rewinding maintaining welding generators those days as contractor.

YOU CAN TRY THE RIM FITTED ON A BALL RACER MOUNTED PLATE, THEN TURN SLOLY ACCORDING TO THE WELDING.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi
  • Like 1

Sylvi, yes good points, i had thought about rigging a small rolling jig to do exactly that, but ultimately, it boiled down to a cost Vs time factor for me to consider.

one additional thing to consider in my case is the metal thickness, @ 4mm, a continous weld will cause the metal to warp unless i had gusseted it. To be honest, it doesnt look too bad. my friend took his time & did a pretty good job on it.

as for the airbubbles, well, i have to rely on my friends welding skill & the yet to do NDT.

Looks good so far.

I'm a little concerned about the balance of the wheels going haywire after this has been done. You would have to grind the extra metal from the welding and test the rims thoroughly to determine if they are in perfece balance (and not warped). Any special way of doing this?

well, it needs to be Static & Dynamically balenced, that will sort out any & all balencing concerns. as for warping, well thats a pretty good point actually, i ended up trueing up the weld-surfaces using wide jaw C-clamps clamping down on a piece of bar stock on bothsides to hold it together, worked pretty good actually.

i will still have to check for runout once its finished though.

Sylvi, yes good points, i had thought about rigging a small rolling jig to do exactly that, but ultimately, it boiled down to a cost Vs time factor for me to consider.

one additional thing to consider in my case is the metal thickness, @ 4mm, a continous weld will cause the metal to warp unless i had gusseted it. To be honest, it doesnt look too bad. my friend took his time & did a pretty good job on it.

as for the airbubbles, well, i have to rely on my friends welding skill & the yet to do NDT.

'67Dodge',

Yes your post is correct the metal can change the shape (warp) as for your prediction. If it is not fixed with a gusset stay,

Below are my suggestions. Your comments are welcome.

Can you think of a different method like riveting the two half's by using a round sleeve sheath welded only at the joint.

Very well grinned on the joint to get like drawn tube, metal sheath of same thickness (Gauge) to the entire length what you want to extend.

Welded sleeve will have to go in tight fit to cut half of the rim. Like a bush.

Two rounds of different way that means every two inches reverting and the other alternatively divided to be center of the two inches next round.

On one half of the rim later bring other half in to the riveted half and do the same way on the other half of the rim.

Better to find out the rock well hardness test of the original rims before you do the welding same hardness sheet also has to be used.

If you want to go in for production for more banded wheel rims it is good to do a try of riveting method it will be cheap quick an a better finish.

Dynamically Balancing will be also easy.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.