• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Hilux

knightowl

Actually it's called a VN turbo.

I got a normal intercooler turbo 2.5ltr hilux of my own. Once I got to drive a 2.5ltr intercooler VN turbo and the difference in power was obvious.

As per wiki, the 2KD VN Turbo engines(2.5ltr intercooled) produces 142HP versus 118HP on the normal turbo (intercooled).

I shall let some more well versed on the techie side to explain the technicalities of the VN turbo/sensor.

From Wikipedia:

2KD-FTV[edit]

Appearing in 2001, the 2KD-FTV is the 2nd generation of the KD series of engine with a smaller 2.5 L (2494 cc) displacement.

The displacement of this engine is based on the previous 2L engine. Bore remains the same 92 mm but stroke is increased to 93.8 mm. It has 16 valves and is a DOHC engine with a turbocharger and intercooler.

It produces 101 horsepower (75 kW) at 3400 rpm and 191.7 lb·ft (260 N·m) of torque at 1600-3600 rpm without an intercooler and 118 hp (88 kW) at 3400 rpm and 239.85 ft·lbf (325 N·m) of torque at 1600-3600 rpm for the intercooled version. Toyota Thailand, however, has updated the turbocharger to variable nozzle turbo (VNT) with intercooler. This increased the horsepower to 142 hp (106 kW) at 3400 rpm and torque to 343 N·m (253 lb·ft) at 1600-2800rpm.[1]

Compression ratio is 18.5:1. Redline of this engine is 4400 RPM. This engine also uses D-4D Common Rail (Common rail direct fuel injection ) technology. The manufacturers default injection timing is 6.5 deg before TDC. The only major changes from the 1KD-FTV to the 2KD-FTV was the bore and the stroke.

one more thing is that VN turbo is not available in Hiace. Its only found in Hilux and Fortuner

bdw i read about the VNT turbo in wiki but i didnt quite understand it, would be helpful if someone could explain it in a simpler form

Edited by Magnum

one more thing is that VN turbo is not available in Hiace. Its only found in Hilux and Fortuner

bdw i read about the VNT turbo in wiki but i didnt quite understand it, would be helpful if someone could explain it in a simpler form

I think its a form of variable geometry turbo.

So there is this problem with turbos which is if you have a big turbo you need to wait till the engine gets to the higher revs for it to produce any boost but it produces more boost, or if you have a small turbo, the boost comes quite quickly in lower revs, but it does not produce much boost compared to a bigger turbo.

The gap of time between when there is boost and no boost is the famous turbo lag, and affects the drivability of the car.

A few approaches have been introduced by manufacturers to overcome this problem.

Bi tubro systems, where there are two turbos placed in sequence, and the smaller one provides boost in lower revs and the bigger one produces boost in higher revs, reducing the lag

Variable geometry turbos, where on turbo adapts to the amount of exhaust pressure available to produce boost and keep producing boost throughout the rev range. The VNT turbo is one of these.

I think its a form of variable geometry turbo.

So there is this problem with turbos which is if you have a big turbo you need to wait till the engine gets to the higher revs for it to produce any boost but it produces more boost, or if you have a small turbo, the boost comes quite quickly in lower revs, but it does not produce much boost compared to a bigger turbo.

The gap of time between when there is boost and no boost is the famous turbo lag, and affects the drivability of the car.

A few approaches have been introduced by manufacturers to overcome this problem.

Bi tubro systems, where there are two turbos placed in sequence, and the smaller one provides boost in lower revs and the bigger one produces boost in higher revs, reducing the lag

Variable geometry turbos, where on turbo adapts to the amount of exhaust pressure available to produce boost and keep producing boost throughout the rev range. The VNT turbo is one of these.

Thanks! I got it now. That explains why it produces more power than the traditional turbo. However bi-trubo would be more powerful than VNT right? and more expensive as well i assume

I was told my ones got one, It boosts in 3 stages , i reckon the Variable geometry doing its thingy. The Thailand model had all badged and blinged about it whilst the others were silent.

All these models have over 300lb-ft of torque stock, and going bi-turbo?

Edited by tiv

Thanks! I got it now. That explains why it produces more power than the traditional turbo. However bi-trubo would be more powerful than VNT right? and more expensive as well i assume

Well both technologies have the same potential. I think the bi turbo systems are more hardy. There are also systems which use both systems together like BMW.

I was told my ones got one, It boosts in 3 stages , i reckon the Variable geometry doing its thingy. The Thailand model had all badged and blinged about it whilst the others were silent.

All these models have over 300lb-ft of torque stock, and going bi-turbo?

haha didnt say anything about going bi-turbo with a Hilux was just comparing bi-turbo to VNT

Well both technologies have the same potential. I think the bi turbo systems are more hardy. There are also systems which use both systems together like BMW.

I see bi-turbo on most sports cars. about BMW, are you referring to BMW E60 325D?