• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vibration!!!

Shanka

Question

Hello Experts,

Since of recent past my car has a pretty bad Vibration. I have checked the Engine Mounts and everyone who checks them says they are in Good Condition. When I turn on the AC it is pretty bad. There is some part which controls the fuel flow when the AC is turned up. Initially I thought the problem is that, but even when it was replaced the problem remains the same. When I drive, then the vibration goes out and when I come to a stop, the vibration starts. It really feels on the steering wheel. I recently did a engine tune up as well, still it is the same. Any suggestions?

13 answers to this question

We need more info? automatic/manual gear?last engine tune up date?may be the engine mounts have invincible cracks inside.

It is an Automatic. Engine tune up was done only a week ago. The problem was there for a few months and still is. I have thought of changing the mounts. I am sure I have not changed the mounts for a few years now. But, does the mount effect the rev? Rev slightly move (is not consistent) even when the car is in idle mode.

Here is a observation.

When the car is running, there is no Vibration. Zero! But as soon as you come to a stop, the vibration starts. So can this be the mounts?

Even when you are at Idle if you rev the car, the vibration completely stops. I increased the idle rev from 0.75 to 1.0 last time, but still at idle the vibration is there. It has to be in a higher speed to stop the vibration.

When the AC is off, it is better but not completely off, so that is why i think it cant be the AC matter.

Even when I come to a stop, if I put the gear from D to N, still the vibration is there, so again I dont think its the gearbox.

I appreciate any advice! =)

Take a look at you spark plugs after a continuous run of about five minutes or more on idle just to see if one plug is more soiled (cabonized) than the others. If you have done a tune up recently you should have almost clean plugs. In case if one plug has more carbon deposits than the others you need to get the cylinder compression checked just to ensure low compression in one cylinder. More often than not it is due to a leak in one of the valves.

Take a look at you spark plugs after a continuous run of about five minutes or more on idle just to see if one plug is more soiled (cabonized) than the others. If you have done a tune up recently you should have almost clean plugs. In case if one plug has more carbon deposits than the others you need to get the cylinder compression checked just to ensure low compression in one cylinder. More often than not it is due to a leak in one of the valves.

I had the same problem and mechanic showed me that there is an oil leak in the middle hole near the plugs. I want to repair that so please anyone of url recommend me a good place to repair that. Is it a big work to repair that leak?

I still feel there might be a crack in one of the mounts. something not visible very much. Are you sure of your mechanic? Because , two of the guys i went to declined on the mount issue but finally at toyota lanka they found a minute crack. Exactly same set of symptoms for me too...

It is a '97 Carina AT212. EFI Engine. Autogear.

Machan,

My previous mate was also a 212. had exacly the same symptoms. When you increase the rev the vibration frequency increases to such an extent that our fingers cannot cannot feel it. That is the reason why you feel that the vibration wears away when you rev it up.

I am pretty positive that this should be a crack in the mounts, perhaps a slight crack, a bit hard to figure out on a casual look , as one member suggested.

Hook her up on a diagnostic kit and single out the other possible issues.

There seems to be two schools of thought on your problem - one, the vibration is due to a crack in the engine mount and two, it is due to one or more cylinders missing. A simple question - when your car is on idle and engine reached normal working temperature, do you hear a rhythmic "Keh" sound from your silencer? If so you have a cylinder missing a beat! You say you have increased idle speed. This is a EFI controlled engine. You cannot adjust the idle speed for it is determined by the ECU unless of course you do it by force. If it is not at the right speed then there must be something wrong elsewhere.