• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Trad Sunny Or Proton Or Ford Laser

carboy2011

Can someone let me know the pros and cons of buying buying a Trad Sunny (88-89 model )vs Proton (95-98 based on Lancer Cb series) vs the Ford Laser 1990 to 1994 model)

I need to know the reliability/durability of these cars especlialy the Proton and Ford as Trad Sunny has already been discussed,spare part availability,re-sale value,ride comfort and fuel consumption too is of importance

very importanlty whats the market prices for these cars now? as each comes with several variations (full light and half light for Trad Sunny) Carb and EFI for the Proton and Full semi option for the Ford

I have no idea what each of these costs. But based purely on logic I'd say the Proton Wira with a 4G15 engine would be my pick. Why, because a lot of parts from Mitsubishi Lancers and Mirages are interchangeable, the engines and drive train is rock solid and only the interior is of some issue as the Malaysians used their own parts for it and it looks horrible compared to the Japanese dashboard. Also check the roof for rust. But admittedly I am a bit biased.

Out of the three options the Trad Sunny has the best reputation. This was when people would genuinely buy Nissan over Toyota. Solid solid car, but would have started to show its age by now.

The Laser is a good car, and if you are buying one I'd say go for a brand new imported one. Shares many bits with the Mazda familia/323 so engine and drivetrain parts are plenty. But as with all old cars body parts are becoming a bit harder to find.

I think the ASP model is a good car but not many on the roads so parts may become an issue. Whether you can get a CB1 for 800k or not is something you have to find out in the open market but its possible that it might be a rather hacked example. You should check the plastics thoroughly as they suffered UV related deterioration. In my Mirage CA I've replaced most of the vents and the facia due to this issue.

The trad sunny and a good super saloon might be your best bet!

I would go for the Wira without hesitation. Why? The model is newer, this model was manufactured till about mid2000s, so it will be easier to get spares. Mechanicals are compatible with Lancer. Wira is a very rugged vehicle, very suitable for our roads. The car has already depreciated so there's nothing much to worry about resale value. Seriously Protons are the most underrated cars in Sri Lanka. You actually get much more car for money with a Proton. But it looks like a JCB molested a Lancer and gave birth to a deformed child.

Edit: Many typos corrected.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

I would go for the Wira without hesitation. Why? The model is newer This model csme till about mid2000s, so it will be easier to get spares Mechanicals are compatible with Lancer Wira is a very rugged vehicle, very suitable for our roads The car has already depreciated so dont worry about resale value. Seriously Protons are the most underrated cars in Sri Lanka. You actually get much more car for money with a Proton. But it looks like a JCB molested a Lancer and gave birth to a deformed child.

The front is ok. The rear on the other hand, don't know what happened there! They should have just stuck to the Mirage back like they did with the coupe evolution.

Finding even a good CB1 for 800K could be bit hard these days. But worth trying. Apart from that both Wira and Trad looks ok for me. (wira is far newer than trad btw)

Edited by hrm

Thanks all since im a Mitsu fan im biased towards the Proton too,but as some pointed out whatever the car it has to be an unmolested one though

I know that mechanics try their stunts with carbs and hack them in many cases,but in an EFI engine thats not possible right? or will our maka baasses ruin them too trying to get fuel economy,as i heard of a Proton with EFI up for sale (i have had issues with carbs being meddled with in previous cars which was a real head-ache!)

Thanks all since im a Mitsu fan im biased towards the Proton too,but as some pointed out whatever the car it has to be an unmolested one though I know that mechanics try their stunts with carbs and hack them in many cases,but in an EFI engine thats not possible right? or will our maka baasses ruin them too trying to get fuel economy,as i heard of a Proton with EFI up for sale (i have had issues with carbs being meddled with in previous cars which was a real head-ache!)

With the EFI setup make sure the idle is stable. The only problem points with the Mitsubishi engines of this genre were failing or failed idle control valve (referred to as the idle throttle controller in a Mitsubishi) and noisy tappets. Check if these two things are ok. Apart from that nothing much goes wrong with these engines (I assume 4G15 or 4G13).

its a 1500 CC one

unfortunately the engine was smoking a bit and its in a car sale hence had to give it up and look for another one,he wanted 850 for it

With the EFI setup make sure the idle is stable. The only problem points with the Mitsubishi engines of this genre were failing or failed idle control valve (referred to as the idle throttle controller in a Mitsubishi) and noisy tappets. Check if these two things are ok. Apart from that nothing much goes wrong with these engines (I assume 4G15 or 4G13).

• 2 months later...

what is the current market price for a good CB2 Lancer,i see same cars being advertised over and over again for 1 million'ish does that mean that the market price is less ? if so what is it?

what are the main differences between a Lancer CB1 and CB2,did the CB series come with EFI engines or were they all carb models?

what is the current market price for a good CB2 Lancer,i see same cars being advertised over and over again for 1 million'ish does that mean that the market price is less ? if so what is it? what are the main differences between a Lancer CB1 and CB2,did the CB series come with EFI engines or were they all carb models?

The CB series came with both EFI and carb models across the engine range. The most common are the 4G13 and 4G15 though there are a few with the 4G91 engine as well. All these came with both carb and EFi and I recommend the EFI. As for the differences , I have no idea because they have nearly identical bodywork and interior.

what is the current market price for a good CB2 Lancer,i see same cars being advertised over and over again for 1 million'ish does that mean that the market price is less ? if so what is it? what are the main differences between a Lancer CB1 and CB2,did the CB series come with EFI engines or were they all carb models?

Most of CB1's and CB2's are carbs atleast in SL. Some CB3's came with DOHC ECI multi (Mitsu's EFI). And yes interior is almost identical, apart from some 95 CB3's have some options such as climet control etc. US export version is always 4g91 ECI with ABS and air bags.

Edited by hrm

thanks Don and HRM also i noticed CB1's dont have RPM meters (the ones i saw atleast) any idea of the price range for these cars?

GLX version has RPM meters as well as power shutters and power mirrors. I think GL trim doesn't have them across all CB series. CB1 basic could start from 850K upto 1 mil.

• 1 month later...