• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mercedes Benz C220Cdi On Permit

zeristo

Question

Guys , my brother has got a $25000 permit and is planning to buy a c class c220cdi diesel car with +$5000 allowance. Totally $30000 worth. I checked the site and it showed a very basic edition c class in the pic.

Could someone here who knows about this permit vehicle tell me is it worth buying ? Are features sufficient ? A rough list of features anyone ? I'm gone abroad and unable to get one directly from dealer. Thanks.

P.S., he's not interested in BMW or Audi - bad resale value.

Image: http://synergyy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-%E2%80%93-USD-30000-for-Permit-Holders.jpg

this might be a different one because the price he told me was way lower....just want to know how does this car fit the $30,000 limit? does it go through a valuation

by the agents in srilanka or the country it's been imported from (in this case the UK)

Usually a vehicle is brought down by a third party based on an invoiced value for CIF purposes. This is at their discretion. So some under invoicing is quite common.The tax is calculated at customs on the valuation given by the Agent here for that specific car.

Usually a vehicle is brought down by a third party based on an invoiced value for CIF purposes. This is at their discretion. So some under invoicing is quite common.The tax is calculated at customs on the valuation given by the Agent here for that specific car.

safe mate

Hi guys,

Need a little help here,

I am trying to bring down a Mercedes C220 Cdi under the exchange earned abroad scheme. (use it for 1 year and bring down, this is not the gift permit which is now discontinued).

With the super-crazy tax structure in SL, I am trying to work out how much I would need to pay in terms of taxes.

Does anybody have any idea of what the agent's CIF value is (approx, I know the exact value can vary based on its spec)

Thank you very much!

Whats the exchange earned abroad scheme?... The agent obviously quote USD 30,000 because they offer the C220 Cdi for the permit

Whats the exchange earned abroad scheme?... The agent obviously quote USD 30,000 because they offer the C220 Cdi for the permit

If you are a Sri lankan employed abroad (legally) and can show that you have sent money to Sri Lanka (they actually ask to see transfer slips and check when the account was opened etc) then you can bring down the car you used whilst your employment abroad. If you have used the car abroad for a minimum of 1 year up to 2 then the car can be up to 5 years old...if you have used it for 3 years or more then the car can be up to 10 years old. Also there are some other stipulations as well like the value of the car cannot be more than a certain percentage of the amount you have sent to your NRFC/Savings (makes sense...they don't want you to bring down a car that costs 100K USD after just sending 5K to SL...), there are some additional constraints/requirements if you are a dual citizen...

The import duty rates are the same as for a normal import, the only advantage/saving is that you can bring down a car which is older than 2 years where the agents valuation will be lower, lowering the amount you pay as duty. Therefore to make any financial savings you need to buy a car that will be more than 2 years old at the time of import. Needless to say it makes a huge difference.

Shanake...if you are planning on buying a brand new C220 using it for a year and then bringing it down, you might not save any money on duties as it will be pretty much the same as bringing it down under normalcircumstances. In which case,I am not sure of the market prices in SL, but if the car is 2 years or newer you might be able to buy a "permit" import for pretty much the same price.

There is a rough guide to the valuation scheme out there on the customs website...I can't find it now...if my memory serves me correct if the car is between 2-3 years then the valuation is roughly about 80% ; for five years or more around 55% (or was it 45%) of a brand new unit (so find out what the SL agent's price for the vehicle is ? for a rough estimate). I did say the guide is rough... also there are payments that you will have to make to customs for getting yourself screwed but the savings might be still worth it.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Not worth even considering unless you buy a 4 year old car use it for 1 year and import, in which case your tax will be based on the 40% valuation.

If you want to get down the 1 year old car go and buy a permit it will be much cheaper and less hassle.