• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Light Up Both Winkler Mirrors ?

nish1

You should keep a distance to be able to react to a sudden deceleration of the vehicle in front.

But in the traffic you see many drivers who keep about 50 feet of open space with the next vehicle, that is NOT good.

Yup. Agree with you that those who keep unnecessary buffers of space contribute a lot to traffic problems. They are part of the reason that tuk-tuk's and other half-wit's deem it's possible to go outside the flow and butt-in in such gaps. They also are slow to react when traffic moves and thus restrict the whole flow at traffic lights and junctions, depriving more considerate drivers the chance to move on (or rather they force these drivers to take unnecessary risks).

If you're confident in your vehicle, and your driving - drive rationally at a decent pace. Otherwise, don't drive at all. ;) Sorry for the OT rant (anyways the OP's question seem to be answered).

• Like 1

If you think visibility will solve your problem, which I doubt, consider pod lights/rock lights as opposed to LED strips. Similar to these

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/miscellaneous/465590-led-rock-lights-these-things-really-rock-tantrum-kit.jpg

These ones are specifically to be fitted under offraoders to improve visibility under tyres. If you look around, you will be able to find a pod small enough to avoid being a complete eye sore.

Alternatively, some vehicles come with indicators in the mirror like below. But I guess it will be quite some job to get done.

http://www.monsterautoparts.com/GMC/GMC%20YUKON/YUKON%20IMAGES/Tahoe%20Yukon%20Mirror%2003-06.jpg

Edited by Hoonigan

That itself IS the problem buddy. If everyone started driving in their own lanes and stop manouvering thru traffic, the congestion on the Sri Lankan roads will be much lower.

I didn't mean it that way, I ididnt say he should use his Vitz to create new lanes for himself. basically bigger cars are harder to drive around within city limits cuz I have experienced this

Members,

I saw yesterday in the night one car had under the door White LED light fitted. Which will illuminate the place where you get down.

When door opens the one side has a red LED light. A warning the door is open.

So that when the door opens the LED lights comes on. Very senior Person who got down from the car .

Informed me that was installed by his grand son, because the car in the night he finds difficult to get down.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I saw yesterday in the night one car had under the door White LED light fitted. Which will illuminate the place where you get down.

When door opens the one side has a red LED light. A warning the door is open.

So that when the door opens the LED lights comes on. Very senior Person who got down from the car .

Informed me that was installed by his grand son, because the car in the night he finds difficult to get down.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I guess its not a common option on the Indian and Chinese vehicles you normally patronize, but there are plenty of vehicles that have that option right from the factory, no need for grandsons to install anything. My vehicle, which is approaching 20 years of age, has them. Obviously, not LEDs, a normal bulb, but the point is, there is a door light that comes on when the door is open.

The problem with the lights under the mirror is that when you open the door they become completely useless, more so for egress. I've been meaning to have some kind of light installed under the rocker panel to illuminate the sides of the car on which door is open. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've stepped in puddles/garbage/various kinds of animal feces etc when parking in unfamiliar places at night.

My idea was to buy a spool of LED lights and attach them to the side skirts of the body kit, angle at 45 degrees down on the horizontal, split into sections for each door, and hook up each section between the door switch and dome light. Thus, only the bit under the opened door will light up.

Edited by terrabytetango

My idea was to buy a spool of LED lights and attach them to the side skirts of the body kit, angle at 45 degrees down on the horizontal, split into sections for each door, and hook up each section between the door switch and dome light. Thus, only the bit under the opened door will light up.

Good idea by the way. But I think it would be better if you can attach them somewhere underneath the door itself (on the inside, towards the inner panel).

That way:

- You'll not accidentally damage them whilst washing the car and so on.

- You can shine the light to a broader range just by moving the door.

- You can easily access to the door switch wiring

Just my 2 cents.

Good idea by the way. But I think it would be better if you can attach them somewhere underneath the door itself (on the inside, towards the inner panel).

That way:

- You'll not accidentally damage them whilst washing the car and so on.

- You can shine the light to a broader range just by moving the door.

- You can easily access to the door switch wiring

Just my 2 cents.

I considered this Davy, but the issues is there is no place on the outer perimeter of the door frame to attach anything to, the door fits quite snugly into the door jamb. The door switch in my car is on the door jamb itself, in the vicinity of the latch hook, so I would have to route the wiring through the conduit for mirrors locks and windows. Mounting on the door card was also considered, but apart from the wire routing issues, all feasible solutions I've come with so far are rather permanent, and I'd really prefer to retrofit instead of altering anything.

I considered this Davy, but the issues is there is no place on the outer perimeter of the door frame to attach anything to, the door fits quite snugly into the door jamb. The door switch in my car is on the door jamb itself, in the vicinity of the latch hook, so I would have to route the wiring through the conduit for mirrors locks and windows. Mounting on the door card was also considered, but apart from the wire routing issues, all feasible solutions I've come with so far are rather permanent, and I'd really prefer to retrofit instead of altering anything.

Hmm, I see. I understand that the space between the door and the scuff plate is really narrow, I just thought one of those LED stripes would fit it without an issue. As for having to route the wire through the conduit - That'd be quite a bit of work I guess.

Anyway, good luck with this, and I for one would like to see the outcome. :)

I guess its not a common option on the Indian and Chinese vehicles you normally patronize, but there are plenty of vehicles that have that option right from the factory, no need for grandsons to install anything. My vehicle, which is approaching 20 years of age, has them. Obviously, not LEDs, a normal bulb, but the point is, there is a door light that comes on when the door is open.

Pericles,

I use a vehicle for my requirement. Yes the cheapest always in future too. Person at my age wants to go from point A to point B.

Can effort to use a expensive vehicle also. In my young days no one wanted Japanese vehicles

On this thread post 30 member says his experience in night getting down from his car.

I wrote on that post what I saw. As for your post agree, cheap vehicles will not have under door light on them.

I have used 1 Chinese, now use a Indian. Very happy with the performance. At present odometer records close to 18000 Kilometers. So far no problems.

Have used west and Japanese vehicles till year 2008. My late father all my family members who can effort a vehicle used, west manufactered vehicles.

All people used western photographic equipment in good old days, today every one use Japanese and Chinese Photographic equipment.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Pericles,

I use a vehicle for my requirement. Yes the cheapest always in future too. Person at my age wants to go from point A to point B.

Can effort to use a expensive vehicle also. In my young days no one wanted Japanese vehicles

On this thread post 30 member says his experience in night getting down from his car.

I wrote on that post what I saw. As for your post agree, cheap vehicles will not have under door light on them.

I have used 1 Chinese, now use a Indian. Very happy with the performance. At present odometer records close to 18000 Kilometers. So far no problems.

Have used west and Japanese vehicles till year 2008. My late father all my family members who can effort a vehicle used, west manufactered vehicles.

All people used western photographic equipment in good old days, today every one use Japanese and Chinese Photographic equipment.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

NO Offense, but if 18,000km with no trouble on a brand new vehicle is a benchmark for satisfaction, you have a very low standard.

Pericles,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, try and stick the subjects you know about, ok? I don't know what your idea of "photographic equipment" is, and quite frankly, I'm not interested.

Some people actually care about quality, not about trying to get by on the cheapest possible way.

Maybe you can save money by eating punnaku 3 meals a day instead of eating normal food, but don't expect everyone else to follow you doing that!

Sylvi, try and stick the subjects you know about, ok? I don't know what your idea of "photographic equipment" is, and quite frankly, I'm not interested.

Some people actually care about quality, not about trying to get by on the cheapest possible way.

Maybe you can save money by eating punnaku 3 meals a day instead of eating normal food, but don't expect everyone else to follow you doing that!

Pericles,

Opinions differ from person to person,

"Well, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

Besides, none to say what's right or wrong anyway? It's all just a matter of opinion."

Upshot of my post is that a reader think that his opinion on the matter.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.