• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Crank Pulley

dhejasvini

guys...need a small help..

today evening when i was driving back to home...suddenly i heard a sound (taka taka noise) from engine bay (left side)...but could not notice any visible thing as there was no enough light..however i managed 3kms or so (since i didnt feel uncomfortable in running than the noise ) to home...and noticed the drive belt near crank pulley was dislocated and the pulley was wobbling...but it was still rotating with the belt..after some time the belt was totally dislocated and my battery warning signals were came came on...

i spoke to a mechanic close to my place and he told the crank pulley has to replaced together with the belt and will cost around 20-25k..personally i dont like to do any repairs with him..as he almost ruined my previous car (marino) 2 years ago....and the present car (Ek3) did not gave any probs until today so basically i didnt need a mechanic..

the things i want to know are...

1.Is it a big repair when it comes to replacing the crank pulley?? its wobbling can it be tightened??

2.whats the actual cost of a crank pulley?? he says a recon one will cost around 20-25k

3.any reliable mechanic i can go??

Well, not too sure on the price, but if you're mechanically competent, you should be able to replace it and the belt yourself.. no hidden mechanical or electrical shit, what you see is what you get.. make note of what you take out and in what order and reverse the process to put it back together :)

As for if the pulley can be adjusted or needs to be replaced might depend on the state. Its most likely a busted bearing which shouldnt cost too much.

The Battery light came on cos the alternator was no longer turning to charge the battery. The belt/pulley replacement will fix that.

And if you're really dissatisfied with a mechanic you just shouldn't goto him. Isnt that simple. I'm sure there's other mechanics in your area..

I am trying to understand how something like the crank pulley would become wobbly. I mean its a pretty sturdy bit of kit, and a crank pulley bearing will complain a lot before it gives way.

Are you talking about the belt adjuster or the crank pulley?

dhejasvini,

Did you get your crank pulley noice sorted out?

It is not a very big repair. Pulley problem can be sorted out without much effort.

Cannot understand what you mean by wobbling. (It’s wobbling)

The problem what you have is a very uncommon thing.

When belt is not there battery warning light comes on.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi