• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Differential Pinion Backlash

sira

Guys

As my mentioned on " EK 3 Click noice" the issue with the gear box final drive on differential carier. the issue call differential pinion backlash. do you know any body can repair this ? looks the total carier needs to be replaced. and how feasible of the repair

Sira

Guys

As my mentioned on " EK 3 Click noice" the issue with the gear box final drive on differential carier. the issue call differential pinion backlash. do you know any body can repair this ? looks the total carier needs to be replaced. and how feasible of the repair

Sira

Sira,

Do you have only click noise. There is no differential hum ?

Today a Mechanic With a helper will come to your home. will charge any thing around under Rupees 5000.00.

I can give you a Mechanic if you want it done at your home. Contact number.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi

No hum. only click noice. can you jest tell me how they fix this? i beluive they need to dismential the gear box and get the driven wheel out - this is honda civic ek3 -exi -1998

or any other way

Please let me know. i'll give you my contact number

sira

Edited by sira

Sira.

I have Emailed you the contact number. Sorry for delay in reply.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi

No ia hev not received your PM . can you check the mail address sira_c

Hi

I lift the car and with the gear 1 and tried to turn the lest wheel. so i heard the sound.

so there is no clutch invoulved this test i belive

Sira

it is indeed related and clutch can be involved as when the vehicle is in 1st gear, and the clutch is released (obviously when you're trying to spin the wheel back and forth with a wheel lifted off the ground) the motion of the wheel goes through final drive, gearbox, clutch, pressure plate and ply wheel and then the crank. So any issue/play/sound of the components I've mentioned can be the cause for this play and the sound.

without hearing the sound and experiencing from where it comes, i cannot say it's coming from the clutch for sure but what I'm saying is there is a possibility. So better check the little thigns first before dismantling the gearbox to repair the pinion/final drive.

it is indeed related and clutch can be involved as when the vehicle is in 1st gear, and the clutch is released (obviously when you're trying to spin the wheel back and forth with a wheel lifted off the ground) the motion of the wheel goes through final drive, gearbox, clutch, pressure plate and ply wheel and then the crank. So any issue/play/sound of the components I've mentioned can be the cause for this play and the sound.

without hearing the sound and experiencing from where it comes, i cannot say it's coming from the clutch for sure but what I'm saying is there is a possibility. So better check the little thigns first before dismantling the gearbox to repair the pinion/final drive.

Hi

can you please let me know the diagnosis process to rectify the exat issue.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="sira" data-cid="239241" data-time="1367901840"><p>

<br />

Hi<br />

<br />

can you please let me know the diagnosis process to rectify the exat issue.</p></blockquote>

In a rear wheel drive vehicle, this can be done by applying hand brakes/ or brakes and rotating / wiggle the propeller shaft while keeping the clutch depressed. That way you isolate the the clutch from the system and testing the final drive only.

However, in a front wheel drive car this cannot be tested that way. If at all judging should be done by the sound and from where it comes. Still it's a bit tricky identify precisely.

Give it another try to rotate the left wheel while someone keep the clutch depressed to see whether there's any difference of the sound?

Edited by harshansenadhir

thank you for the advice

i spoke to honda angent and one eng sait this coould be inboard joint may have worn

any idea and how to test that. seems like ring a bell. because some time back one guy removed this inboard jouint with whole shaft and re-grrease them. that time i tested the that time weather it got a play . by holding the CV thread side and try to turn the inboard joint gear box side where the grooves on it. so there was no any play. now the honda said that grooves may have worn and thats why it got backlash with diven wheel ends

how to test this

sira

Guys

Since this issue i visited to arount 5 mechanics and they all said that this is comming from the gear box.

one mechanic said he can fix by putting a brass washer in , not head about this , any idea ?

you know i saw another car today - EK3 99 having same issue and the owner said it is normal. so now i think this is the common issue in EK3.

my count is 5 cars now.

sira

Guys

Since this issue i visited to arount 5 mechanics and they all said that this is comming from the gear box.

one mechanic said he can fix by putting a brass washer in , not head about this , any idea ?

you know i saw another car today - EK3 99 having same issue and the owner said it is normal. so now i think this is the common issue in EK3.

my count is 5 cars now.

sira

Hey sira did you add mine as well? :)