• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Drove Through The Flood

Hi Friends,

2 days back when I came from the office I had to drive up-to 1 feet of flood water in Blumenthal road anyhow I didn't had any issue but I am bit of confuse whether the water came anywhere inside the Car(engine, motor ... etc), therefore last two days I didn't use the Car and thinking of to check during this weekend (possibly for early service since my next service is falling after another 1500 KM)

Please share your thoughts and experience

Yes, if the engine didn't stall then you've dodged the bullet, and possibly there is no harm in running the car.

Nevertheless, its a good idea to get it checked.

Pay attention to condition of oil in gear box and differential, as water could find its way in through the breathers.

Exhaust barrel, electrical componenets in the engine bay and CV boots (if cracked) are some other places which may suffer water ingestion.

Edited by HardHat

As a general rule see where about in the engine bay the air intake is, then you will have a rough idea what depth of water you can safely go through without sucking in any water into the combustion chamber through the air intake. As Komi has said water in the combustion chamber is a serious matter. Take into mind any ripples or waves that could be triggered by another vehicle which could send the water level above your air intake, so leave a margin for that too .

Apart from that after wading through, the checks mentioned by HardHat are very important. I always do that after any wading I do on off road adventures.

All in all, unless unavoidable don't wade through, specially in a car. I know of one guy whose engine seized after wading through a flood.

Edited by CJ5

agree with what hardhat said - take it to your service place and lift it up on the hoist check the differential oil and gearbox oil for any water and residue if its possible in your car get the undercarriage cleaned and grease up all the grease points. Also check under your carpets for dampness since 1 foot of water means that it can get through the door sills. You might want to degrease your engine bay if your not sure. i know there are aftermarket rust prevention products available which is used by 4x4 chaps on there engine bay and electrical points to avoid long term rust prevention but i dont think you need to go all that way.

Yes, if the engine didn't stall then you've dodged the bullet, and possibly there is no harm in running the car.

Nevertheless, its a good idea to get it checked.

Pay attention to condition of oil in gear box and differential, as water could find its way in through the breathers.

Exhaust barrel, electrical componenets in the engine bay and CV boots (if cracked) are some other places which may suffer water ingestion.

Ok thanks brother, as planed I will do the service this weekend BTW I came to office by Car today and didn't had any issue.

Pleasure!

wading is best avoided whenever possible.

However seeing how easily roads in and around Colombo get flooded after a downpour, sometimes one might find him or herself with no option but to wade through. If you must wade and after you've ensured that the depth of water is manageable, proceed in one slow but continuous motion through water until you're in the dry again and never stop in between. The trick is to maintain a bow-wave in front of the car so that the engine bay stays dry. Also keep revs low as high revs might suck water up the air intake, even though it is not submerged.

Having said that, best to avoid wading. Either find another route or if that's not an option, park the car and wait it out until water recedes.

Edited by HardHat

As a general rule see where about in the engine bay the air intake is, then you will have a rough idea what depth of water you can safely go through without sucking in any water into the combustion chamber through the air intake. As Komi has said water in the combustion chamber is a serious matter. Take into mind any ripples or waves that could be triggered by another vehicle which could send the water level above your air intake, so leave a margin for that too .

Apart from that after wading through, the checks mentioned by HardHat are very important. I always do that after any wading I do on off road adventures.

All in all, unless unavoidable don't wade through, specially in a car. I know of one guy whose engine seized after wading through a flood.

Thanks for your advice mate, anyway my one is Allion 260

Edited by mazda axela

agree with what hardhat said - take it to your service place and lift it up on the hoist check the differential oil and gearbox oil for any water and residue if its possible in your car get the undercarriage cleaned and grease up all the grease points. Also check under your carpets for dampness since 1 foot of water means that it can get through the door sills. You might want to degrease your engine bay if your not sure. i know there are aftermarket rust prevention products available which is used by 4x4 chaps on there engine bay and electrical points to avoid long term rust prevention but i dont think you need to go all that way.

Thanks brother, normally I am doing the service @ Toyota Lanka so better I will talk to them regarding the Incident.

Thanks brother, normally I am doing the service @ Toyota Lanka so better I will talk to them regarding the Incident.

Going by their past work, TL is bound to pry on your fears and ask you to do some unnecessary check/repair...

• Like 1

Anyway its not like cars dont get wet.. Personally I would just park the car in the hot sun for a day or two and let mother nature do the drying up for me...

Yours is a fairly new car so I highly doubt your door beadings or seals are spoilt to an extend where a few seconds of submersion would cause water to seep into the car. And your CVT gearbox should be a sealed one am I wrong? There maybe a few bits of debris stuck in some corners of the undercarrige, but its not gonna hurt you, and will be washed away in a regular service..

Just chill.... But just for kicks ask TL what they recommend... just for curiosity sake..

Anyway its not like cars dont get wet.. Personally I would just park the car in the hot sun for a day or two and let mother nature do the drying up for me...

Yours is a fairly new car so I highly doubt your door beadings or seals are spoilt to an extend where a few seconds of submersion would cause water to seep into the car. And your CVT gearbox should be a sealed one am I wrong? There maybe a few bits of debris stuck in some corners of the undercarrige, but its not gonna hurt you, and will be washed away in a regular service..

Just chill.... But just for kicks ask TL what they recommend... just for curiosity sake..

:). Immediately went after the home I just double checked whether the water leaked inside the Car fortunately it wasn't.

Car's are designed to be able to wade through water probably up to about a foot high or even a bit more provided you maintain a good bow wave. The issue as Hard hat suggested is if there are leaky seals or covers, or if you don't let the car dry out properly particularly if water got into the cabin. This can cause a bit of rust.

My advice is if you ever find yourself in that situation, don't stop as the bow wave will keep the water away from critical components. But then again it's best to avoid such situations in the first place!

Car's are designed to be able to wade through water probably up to about a foot high or even a bit more provided you maintain a good bow wave. The issue as Hard hat suggested is if there are leaky seals or covers, or if you don't let the car dry out properly particularly if water got into the cabin. This can cause a bit of rust.

My advice is if you ever find yourself in that situation, don't stop as the bow wave will keep the water away from critical components. But then again it's best to avoid such situations in the first place!

Thanks mate, noted